Pocket Guns!

This is a discussion on Pocket Guns! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A pocket holster from K&D Holsters normally:...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Guns!

A pocket holster from K&D Holsters normally:

DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

2. Remove Ads

Nice setup! Does the gun draw free, or do you have to hook it on the pants pocket to release it?

The holster has little retention -- doesn't need it. I can give a slight push off with my middle finger on the draw and the holster stays in the pocket.
    DDGator (Duane)

Personally, my "pocket" gun really will fit into any pocket, even on a vest. It's a Davis Derringer in .32 ACP I bought 15 years ago for around $90 new. It's small enough to be hidden on the palm of your hand. It only has two shots, but it's meant to used up close. Even with a Deringer. if I need more that two shots to hit something less than five feet away, I need to start running.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I've handled one of the Rorhbaughs in person that came through the shop on special order after they were announced. While yes, it's a small gun, it feels to me like a lead brick.

One of the considerations I have for a pocket gun is that it doesn't bounce around as much in the pocket - I can take larger guns if the weight isn't all compacted into a tiny area much easier than the 12ounce can floating around my pocket. It looked well enough made, but it reminded me of the NAA Guardians in both size and pocket brick status.

I'm happy with either a Baby Browning, a .38 Derringer, a Beretta Tomcat, or my S&W 296 in ascending order of preference as a pocket gun - each has a time and a place depending on wardrobe, concealment, and other factors.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I've never been one for a "belly gun" because at belly distance a knife is more effective IMO. Any gun I carry as a BUG is gonna have to be a true backup, meaning it can shoot nearly as well out to 25 yards as my primary. I guess my point is, a BUG is not a "belly gun" and a belly gun usually does not make a good BUG.

This is another area where the Kahr, S&W642, etc. and true pocket guns change paths.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Because of dress body type and life style, I wanted a pocket pistol badly and tried a KelTec P3-AT .380. It's surprisingly accurate and with a mag extension I'm carrying 8 rounds with 7 rounds in a back up mag, HOWEVER, reliability has been absolutely horrible. On some other forums I've visited, I'd get shot for what I'm about to say but quite frankly, they're cheap plastic gun that don't have the best design and their mfg tolerances are almost sloppy compared many of the standard sized weapons you have. I know there are folks who've had one that was reliable right out of the box and will swear by them but even the manufacturer issued a second generation model after only a few years, making significant changes.

I carried mine in a pocket holster by RJ Hedley and loved being able to have that amount of protection in such a small package but I can't trust mine. It's currently back at the factory because of FTE, FTF, light strikes and now it won't set off round at all and it was deforming the face of the bullets where they were hitting the feed ramp.

My other "pocket" guns is a S&W 637 that is super light, accurate and has the worlds worst trigger. I've learned how to fire it accurately but it took time. It shoots +p but when you do, you know it! The problem with this gun is printing from the cylinder bulge.

I'd like a really good pocket pistol but I'm not sure what to try next, or whether I will. Kel-Tec's .32 seems to be a lot more reliable than their .380.

I do think they serve a purpose and would still like 8 rounds of .380 over having to use a knife but when things get that small you're pushing limits and getting next too the limits causes problems.

just my 2 cents...

Gideon

Senior Moderator
    I'm not really a fan of "pocket" guns.

While I'd be the first to admit that ANY gun is better than no gun...it just seems to me that too many people carry a gun because its "comfortable" and they carry it for that intention rather than the fact that they might have to shoot it at someone that is pissed,drugged out or just stupid or someone that is hellbent on the destruction of your life for one reason or another.

I think that too many people feel adequately protected by the ineffective calibers that most pocket guns must be due to their design and I feel that many people dont understand their limitations. And to paraphrase the outlaw Josey Wales..." a mans got to know his limitations"...

As long as one understands that pipsqueak calibers may not be the "manstopper" that they ought to be, thats great. But in reality, how many folks when choosing a "pocket gun" couldnt carry a bigger gun with a bigger caliber ?

Assistant Administrator
    HG - I am most definitely in your camp on this too. As ever - ''any gun better than no gun'' but I do not regard many ''pocket'' guns as adequate.

My 1 is the SIG - it is full size and heavy - but I have always been prepared to accept the concommitant acceptable (for me) degree of discomfort - it is something to do with shall we say - dedication - same way so many folks here will tote a full size 1911.

Pocket for me is BUG, and if really necessary a ''something'' substitute 1 if that is all circumstances will permit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hotguns,

I am a fan of pocket guns -- although the bigger caliber the better! Many people find pocket carry to the the only practical way for them to carry. Many people have their wardrobe dictated by their circumstances and may have employers or family or whatever that cannot know. Pocket carry and other deep concealment methods allow many people who carry who might not otherwise.

We can always debate how much stopping power you need. Statistically, the chances are very good I will never need any--but that is a different story. Certainly I will not likely interject myself in a confrontation like a LEO would. My chances of facing multiple, determined adversaries is relatively small. I bet the first mugger I drop with a few rounds of 9mm will discourage those behind him from asking for the rest. If I am faced with multiple, drugged out adversaries bent on killing me... I am not sure a 1911 will necessarly save the day.

I think pocket pistols fill a valuable role -- and not just as BUGs. Like anything else, there are compromises.

Its not a question of what people could carry -- its what they will carry.
    DDGator (Duane)

DDGator,
    Nice Random Leek, I love mine, but I almost never carry it cause they are so hard to get.

My chances of facing multiple, determined adversaries is relatively small.
    I kinda think the oposite.
    I mean put yourself in the place of the mugger. I think that their "job" would be easier with more people working with them. Drug addicts who want a fix dont discourage easy. Besides a 1911 can be a big help if you shoot them in the mellon.
    Although they would have to split the loot, and lasy theves are selfish, pluse they arnt smart. Also the more people the more mouths. BG's just cant keep their dumb mouths shut .

I guess if they were smart they would do something else than mug people.

Well my pocket carry are a old Interarms ss PPK/S in Don Hume pocket holster ,Colt Mustang in D.H. holster or a Bauer 25 auto.
    In 380's I uae CorBon 90gr HP in 25 just plain olb ball.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

My pocket gun is a Kel-Tec P3AT plus a spare mag (a total of 13 .380 rounds). I only carry it when a larger gun would be too difficult for me to conceal (vacation in Florida, for example), or as a backup. Any other time I carry my 1911 or CZ P-01 (16 rounds of .45 or 29 rounds of 9mm).

Indeed the problem of pocket carry is we tend to use firearms with short barrels in small calibers. We can all agree this is not ideal.

However, I sincerely doubt that any somewhat typical adversary will be able to attack efficiently with a pair of Gold Dots coursing through his torso.

Yes I realize good and well that there are factors that may work against me, but you know what them's the chances you takes.

As for multiple adversaries, well 2 in the first one, 2 in the second one, and if the third one hasn't killed me by then I'll take my chances with the one left.

And come to think of it the gun I" pocket carry"-ed today has 12+1 .40 S&W 165 grain Golden Sabres ready to fly coming out of a 4" barrel... Is that not more than adequate for personal protection?

I think it's a methodology that deserves serious consideration.

Pocket gun

The only pocket gun I use has a very specific application. The Seecamp .32 is, admittedly, not a good BUG candidate - but I don't carry it for that purpose. For a few hours every week it is my primary (only) weapon. I admit I'm not very comfortable being armed with just an underpowered belly gun - but the situation allows me no other practical solution. Even while dressed in a suit - in our "casual" church environment the jacket may need to be removed on warm days. As a pastor I get/give a lot of hugs - and am otherwise touched quite a bit on the waist, middle of the back and so forth. Some church members would not have a problem with the pastor being armed. Others would. I've been clear - even from the pulpit - regarding the obligation for self-defense. But I do not relish the thought of my armed status becoming an issue - if for no other reason than the fact it would defeat the purpose of concealed carry. I've considered the SmartCarry - but carrying a gun in that particular location is, well, disconcerting to say the least. Ankle carry is not a viable option for me either.

Only the ultra-reliable, ultra-concealable Seecamp carried in the right front trouser pocket even comes close to filling the bill. I have reason to believe I am the only armed person in our church for those hours every Sunday - and in my position as "shepherd", scripture and common sense demand it. Sadly, there seems to be no "sanctuary" in our world these days. So, God forbid the situation ever should arise - my situational awareness/tactical preparation, the Seecamp in my pocket and the element of surprise will have to do.
    If you want to make God laugh - tell Him your plans. Yiddish proverb

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links