Pocket Guns!

Pocket Guns!

This is a discussion on Pocket Guns! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You know what I've run a search and we have never had a thread on Pocket Guns. What exactly is a Pocket Gun? Well simply ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Guns!

Pocket Guns!

You know what I've run a search and we have never had a thread on Pocket Guns.

What exactly is a Pocket Gun? Well simply put it's a gun whose dimensions allow it to be carried easily in your pants pocket. To me it's a gun that will fit in the front pants pocket of almost all pants/shorts/etc.

The Pocket Gun represents for the most part a convenient method of carry and an intuitive draw which can be completed with great speed even under considerable stress and in odd positions. The Pocket Gun for me is an indisposable part of my personal security solution.

The Pocket Gun presents a lot of problems though. Obviously it's going to have a small grip and a short barrel. Typically it has to be pretty light because a heavy steel gun won't work in some garments. More often than not this means using a less effective caliber and using a firing platform which most of us are going to find difficult to use as well as our normal choices in handguns.

I can't imagine we all haven't had a Pocket Gun at one point or another!

Here's what I've been using for a while now:

The Agent is my recent acquistion and is markedly easier to shoot than the 642, but the 642 is real nice too for what I use it for. I sure wouldn't want to shoot competitively with either one!

I haven't carried the Agent a whole lot, but it's an option I have now that I didn't have before.

I figure we'll see more of these little .38 caliber revolvers. They represent a respectable amout of firepower in a very small package! Personally I think a little .44 Special snubby is possibly the perfect pocket gun, but you use what you've got! A .38 in the pocket is worth far more than some dream gun you don't even have.

I even had another thread recently where I've started exploring unorthodox pocket carry. In certain garments with larger pockets, you can stuff some surprisingly good size guns in there! I have discovered that most of my cargo shorts have much deeper and wider pockets than my jeans and Dockers and this allows for the pocket carry of a service sized XD40. This pleases me to no end. I'm currently looking for a way to adapt this method to a large jacket pocket for cold weather carry. However the XD40 does not lend itself to carry in my daily attire thus I cannot call it a true Pocket Gun. It's simply too big and darn near too heavy. It makes the subcompact model a tempting thought but I think it too would be too large for the old Dockers pocket.

What gun goes in your pocket?

Assistant Administrator
    For me the archetypal pocket piece is - the Rohrbaugh R9. No cylinder bulge - under 1" across at widest point (base of grips) - and capacity 6+1 of std 9mm - it is very concealable in either a Uncle Mikes #2 or K&D pocket rig. It's DAO - 7# pull which tho quite long is smooth as butter.

Very expensive gun granted but - it is the ''Porche'' of pocket guns IMO. This is pocket BUG often, and occasionally when necessary primary, in pocket - or even ankle.

I do have also all the time in vest front pocket (cos so darned small) the ubiquitous (last ditch?) - NAA Mini. So small I hardly know it's there.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thumbs up

Ah The R9! Probably the best pocket gun to exist in all honesty if you can foot the bill. Costs more than I am willing to spend on a gun for this purpose unfortunately!

To be honest I keep waiting for someone to figure out how to clone it. Inevitably in the history of guns a cost effective clone comes along for every expensive design. Of course I bet the clone of this gun would still be pretty expensive!

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - the R9 costs for R&D are as I imagine - astronomic!!! I have no doubt someone somewhere will try and clone but this lil' pup is CNC produced to incredible tolerancing - and so I doubt any copy will ''make it'' - at least not close enough to matter.

Plus the the Bros R would IMO fight tooth and nail if someone comes along trying to copy!

It is I fear beyond the reach of many but - nonetheless does IMO represent the ultimate bad breath defender!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member

Nope not me, never had a pocket gun

S&W 642 with Uncle Mikes pocket holster.
    Attached Images

I tried pocket carry with my S&W442, but it was a little too bulky for levi's. I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 form time to time now in an Alessi "wallet " holster. Much more concealable.

FROM GLOCKTALK:
    Other from owning a status symbol, why would anyone want a Rohrbaugh?
    Compare: PM9 ------------Rohrbaugh
    Caliber: 9MM ------------9MM
    Capacity: 6+1 ------------6+1
    +P Ammo: yes ------------No
    BBL: 3.0" ----------------2.9"
    LOA: 5.3" ---------------5.2"
    Height: 4.0" -------------3.7"
    Width: .90" -------------.81"
    Weight: 14 OZ------------12.8 OZ
    Finish: Matte SS ---------Matte SS
    Sites: Drift adj------------Fixed or none (your choice)
    Available: Yes ------------Waiting list months long
    Ammo: Any and all--------Prefers ball can't use +P
    Reliable: Proven----------Waiting the test of time
    Price: $520.00(approx)----$945.00

Jim,

I don't much see a hide-out pocket pistol as a status symbol.... I certainly don't think the Rohrbaugh owners I know think of it as such.

I have to take issue with your chart a bit.

The PM9 may have a "matte SS" finish on the slide, but much of its is polymer. Some people don't like polymer--or MIM or cast parts for that matter. The R-9 has none of either.

I think there are plenty of people who would quibble with the "proven reliability" of the PM9. There have been recalls, barrel issues, and mag catch issues -- just to name a few. Perhaps both are awaiting the test of time.

The R-9 does not prefer ball ammo. The preferred loads are Gold Dot JHPs, although it is certainly not a one-round type gun. Tolerances are tight and ammo selection is something that has to be considered.

My last comment is not a disagreement with the measurements provided -- just a commentary. Those few ounces, and fractions of an inch, and protruding rear sight and such -- all make more of a difference in person that they do on paper.

IMHO, the PM-9 is a small gun some people can jam in their pocket. The R-9 is designed from start to finish to be a pocket gun. People insist on drawing comparisions between these guns all the time, but I think they serve two different purposes. The R-9 is better compared to a Kel-Tec P-3AT or Seecamp .380 or NAA Guardian .380 -- which are also pocket guns.

DD (somewhat biased) Gator
    Admin@RohrbaughForum.com
    www.RohrbaughForum.com
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

JT
    I have two "pocket guns" S&W 642 and NAA Guardian in 32acp. Sometimes the Guardain is a "boot gun".
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My only pocket auto was a CZ70, a great little .32 with a host of features often found only on top dollar autos, but a long trigger. I loved it, but had to sell for baby food...if I could get it again, I would. $120 for a wonderful surplus pistol with great history, and accuracy.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    S&W 642 with Uncle Mikes pocket holster.
    Same here.

Sometimes a Beretta Jetfire in .25ACP just to amuse myself.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I too carry an SW Model 37 at times. However, I do feel a little more comfortable with the 1911. What causes me to think is not the amount of ammo it holds. My issue is I am dead on with the 1911 and it has been my sole gun for years. The pocket I shoot decent but not well. Well thats my 2cents and I am off to walmart do I take the .38 or the .45. Choices, Choices..

DDGATOR,

That comment was not mine, I should have quoted the chart, but was afraid it would not format correctly. I own the PM9 and would have the Rohrbaugh if I was willing to spend that kind of money on a pocket gun. My carry gun is a BHP 9mm that worked fine when I bought it for $600.00, but it's got another $1200.00 in custom work in it now and although it's working art, it functions just teh same and most imortantly it's just the way I want it. I don't consider it a status piece even though the "oohs/aaahs" it gets does make one feel good.

If money were no object, I'd never have bought the PM9. Unfortunately there are too many toys out there I'd rather have and not enough money to get them all. :)

You comment of compared to a .32 is spot on, as the little differences on paper are major in the hand.

Sorry if my post seemed to be putting the Rohrbaugh down, I wasn't. I just found that chart on Glocktalk and was hoping the stats were accurate. The original author made it clear what side of the coin he was on.

Hey Jim,

I knew I should have said that I knew that wasn't yours. I saw that on GT and probably responded to it there too. No offense taken certainly.

I really am not offended by the chart -- except that it purports to be an objective comparision and it isn't really. Nor do the stats really convey how different these guns really are.

But... that being said... I can't tell you how many times I have had to defend the virtues of the R-9 by people who think the Kahr is the same gun, only cheaper. Not.

I like the PM-9 and used to have one -- but what I reallly wanted was a pocket 9mm. Now I have one. :)
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

I pocket carry my PM9 and like it a lot...that said, if Ruger would only make a pocket 9 there would be no reason to own a PM9 or R-9!

And why there at it...make a clone of the Glock 36. OK Ruger, you've got your marching orders.

Duane,

They are definitely apples & oranges, but sometime it's fair to compare them as long as you realise they are not both apples or oranges. Personally, I could see myself with one if I found a good deal, but I doubt their owners are giving them up any more than Seecamp owners do their true pocket guns.

Did you mention what you carry this rig in?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links