Your Thoughts On Kahrs

This is a discussion on Your Thoughts On Kahrs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anyone - if I order the MK or K9, do I have to order the elite package to get the same trigger that comes standard ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts On Kahrs

anyone - if I order the MK or K9, do I have to order the elite package to get the same trigger that comes standard on the P or PM9?

2. Remove Ads

I have an MK9. I like it a lot and carry it regularly!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I have carried in one capacity or another for over fifty years. I have sixty odd pistols in my gun safe, so it was hard to justify another, but I was attracted by the good looks and small size of the Kahr. I purchased a MK9 several years ago. And, in my opinion, it is everything a carry gun should be.

It is heavy for such a small pistol, yet it is not heavy enough to be noticed in a belt holster. It is a little too heavy for a front pants pocket pistol. But that is of no concern to me.

The gun's weight pays off when firing the gun. I am utterly amazed that a pistol so small could deliver so little perceived recoil. Of course much of that must be attributed to the low bore axis and the excellent ergonomics. What this means is that the second and subsequent shots come faster and easier than with comparable guns.

I've never had a failure to feed or fire. I have utter confidence in my Kahr. I can't speak for any other, but mine works.

As has been noted, the trigger is about as good as it gets with a DAO pistol.

I've never fired, I haven't even handled, any of the other Kahr models. Some days I get the urge to buy one of the plastic numbers, but I just take a cold shower until the urge passes. I ain't buying no more guns. I'm happy.

Love my k40. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Flawless. I have a pm 9 as well that has been flawless although I usually carry the k40.

My PM9 is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    Suprisingly, I shoot more accurately with my Kahr than with my 4 inch 1911 - even at 30 yards ... kinda weird.
    Very wierd. I'd be a little worried about what was wrong with my 1911 if I shot better groups at 30 yards with my Kahr...that or I'd be headed to the opthometrist.

A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Kahr P40. Once the feedramp was polished and the recoil spring was replaced she never skipped a beat. Very comfortable to carry IWB at 3:30 in a Fist #20.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

MK9. Great gun, reliable, accurate, easy to conceal. Even looks good, now that it's sporting wood grips.

Kahr MK9 heavier than S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Pogo2 - how does the weight of a loaded MK9 (standard mag) compare to a loaded 642?

I am in the market and looking really hard at the MK9 or P9 or the new walther PPS in 9mm. I would like the steel, but not too interested in the steel if it is much heavier than my 642. It would be pocket carry with standard mag and smartcarry with extended mag.

Thanks.
    The Kahr MK9 is quite a bit heavier than the S&W 642. To put a number on it, the loaded 642 is about 17 ounces, and the loaded MK9 is about 27 ounces. The reason is that the Kahr is all steel, while the 642 has an aluminum frame and steel barrel and cylinder.

The 642 is a pocket gun because of its light weight. The MK9 is more of a belt gun, in my opinion. But it is a good belt gun and conceals easier than almost anything else I've seen.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

A few years ago, I owned a P40. Good little shooter. What soured me on it was the fact that the little piece that holds the magazine in place is made of plastic (oops , I meant polymer) and the mags are metal.

After a while the metal mags wore down the polymer mag catch to the point that it wouldn't hold the mag in place. I know, I could have just replaced the little plastic piece, but it shook my confidence in the design.... I traded it .

I can't see how this would be a problem in their metal guns. Just my 2 cents..... mike

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The Kahr MK9 is quite a bit heavier than the S&W 642. To put a number on it, the loaded 642 is about 17 ounces, and the loaded MK9 is about 27 ounces. The reason is that the Kahr is all steel, while the 642 has an aluminum frame and steel barrel and cylinder.

The 642 is a pocket gun because of its light weight. The MK9 is more of a belt gun, in my opinion. But it is a good belt gun and conceals easier than almost anything else I've seen.
    Pogo - thanks for the informative reply. That will help me in a purchase decision. If I want pocket, I'll get the pm9, if I am just going to smartcarry a single stack (for the trips to the gym) I'll get the K9.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I own a P9 that I use for CCW. It has always been reliable, accurate and the recoil is quite tolerable. The trigger is quite long and heavy, but smooth, making it relatively easy to shoot well.
    Last edited by AutoFan; December 13th, 2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I went with the MK9 and I'm happy I did. I can carry a flush fit mag when I need it to be "really hidden", and the rest of the time I use an extended magazine that results in the same grip length and capacity as the K9. I chose the MK9 over the PM9 because a lot of people have had issues with reliable function from Kahr's polymer pistols, and I think the extra weight doesn't hurt in the recoil dept. either. The triggers on these little guys are so smooth that anticipation is a non issue. I think Kahrs are an excellent choice for carry.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I had one of the earlier K9's and it was ok but not very impressed. I have bought a CW9 and love that little gun. Steve48

BAC
    I rented a Kahr K40 and PM9. The K40 was a great feeling gun, but I couldn't stand how snappy it felt to me and that I had to pull the trigger to about the back of the trigger guard for the weapon to discharge. The PM9 was too skinny and I couldn't hit squat with it. However, no failures with either using dirt cheap ammo, so I can't talk bad about that.

The K9 I've always been interested in, though. For me it's a good size, good weight, and made for the 9mm round. One of these days... one of these days...

-B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links