Mid Sized Revolver Help

This is a discussion on Mid Sized Revolver Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While investigating options on a gun to carry when my 1911 wont work or I feel like something different......I am looking into Kahrs and Mid ...

Thread: Mid Sized Revolver Help

Mid Sized Revolver Help

While investigating options on a gun to carry when my 1911 wont work or I feel like something different......I am looking into Kahrs and Mid sized revolvers

I am looking at an SP101 or a mid frame Smith in .357 mag to be carried IWB under just a t-shirt.......

What do you guys carry, how much are they, what holster and grips do you use, and how well does it conceal?

Also what ammo do you use and what kind of ballistics are you getting, I will have to admit I am very interested in the CorBon DPX line, anyone use it?

Thanks
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

Mid frame Smith & Wesson

You asked about mid frame S&W revolvers for carry, and I presume you mean the K frame. I have one that I carry sometimes, a model 66 (.357 magnum) with 2.5 inch barrel.

Mine has Hogue Bantam grips, which are very compact as shown, and I carry in a PWL holster outside the waist band at 4:00 position. I use Remington 125 grain Golden Saber ammunition, which gives 1220 fps velocity from a 4 inch barrel (per Remington website). I figure it might exit my shorter barrel at 1100 fps.

The gun conceals very easily because of its shape, with narrow barrel and grip, and does not seem very heavy on the belt although it weighs 32 ounces empty. The weight handles the .357 recoil well. I carry 6 rounds of spare ammo in a speedloader or speed strip.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Moderator
    I carry a Taurus 605 (J frame size) usually in a smartcarry but sometimes IWB
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

pogo2 That model 66 looks great, but I dont see it in the Smith and Wesson catalog, so I am assuming they dropped it from the product line?

Also I am interested in the model 640, 60, 386 and 686, anyone have input on these?

Pogo's showing you the good stuff there! A S&W Model 66 or Model 19 2 1/2-inch is the ultimate manifestation of what you seek. If you prefer fixed sights then go for the 3-inch Model 13 or Model 65. K-Frame .357's are long gone from the S&W catalogue but they're out there if one watches the auctions and larger shows. Any of the above would be well worth the search and cost to acquire.

I'm not generally impressed with the revolvers that are built like tanks, but have been pleased with the SP 101 on several occasions when I've been able to shoot one. The one with which I'm familiar came with an acceptably smooth action right out of the box. It's grips are well designed. It soaks up recoil well with the full-power 158 grain loads that I favor and it's easy to hit well with it, DA or SA. Though I'd personally prefer the S&W K-Frame .357's the SP 101 is not shabby at all.

Model 66 snubby

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    pogo2 That model 66 looks great, but I dont see it in the Smith and Wesson catalog, so I am assuming they dropped it from the product line?
    bmcgilvray's response was correct - the model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel was dropped from the S&W line after many years of production. Mine is a model 66-3 that was manufactured about 16 years ago. I bought it used for $300 about 2 years ago from a police detective.

There are many of these in excellent condition for sale on the used market, and prices are now in the $400+ range, I believe. I just looked at Gunbroker.com and found several active auctions:

Gunbroker model 66 snubby auction #1

Gunbroker model 66 snubby auction #2

Gunbroker model 66 snubby auction #3

These guns don't appeal to everybody, because they are not plastic and don't hold 15 rounds. But that is good because more are available for people like me and bmcgilvray.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Pogo's showing you the good stuff there! A S&W Model 66 or Model 19 2 1/2-inch is the ultimate manifestation of what you seek. If you prefer fixed sights then go for the 3-inch Model 13 or Model 65. K-Frame .357's are long gone from the S&W catalogue but they're out there if one watches the auctions and larger shows. Any of the above would be well worth the search and cost to acquire.

I'm not generally impressed with the revolvers that are built like tanks, but have been pleased with the SP 101 on several occasions when I've been able to shoot one. The one with which I'm familiar came with an acceptably smooth action right out of the box. It's grips are well designed. It soaks up recoil well with the full-power 158 grain loads that I favor and it's easy to hit well with it, DA or SA. Though I'd personally prefer the S&W K-Frame .357's the SP 101 is not shabby at all.
    Yeah, Pogo's the guy that got me to spend money I don't have for a 66 2.5 and I love it. And Biker's the guy that taught me how to shoot it. He too is trying to get me to spend money I don't have one wheel guns by bribing me with free hollow points. Still trying to find a satisfactory IWB holster, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post

Also I am interested in the model 640, 60, 386 and 686, anyone have input on these?
    Yes. I carry a 686 2-1/2". I also own a Model 19. I usually load up my 686 with 125gr GD .357 mag for carry. The Model 19 gets 125gr 38spl +P. The L frame suits me better for magnum loads than does the K frame.

If I Carry one gun It's a Taurus 617 (2" 357 7 shot)and 2 speed loaders. Most of the the time I Carry a 605 Taurus and a Ruger SP101 Both take the same speed loader so I carry 2 loaded with Corbon 125g. 357 ammo.

Also I have shot a 3" and 2" SP101 which I liked very much, how well will these conceal IWB under just a t shirt?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The S&W K frame sounds like the right size for the role that your are looking to fill. I have a great S&W 65 (ss version of the 13) This is the 3" RB gun with fixed sights. I have found it to be very comfortable to carry IWB in the 1:00 position. They are no longer in production but can be found at a reasonable price in the used gun section. Also look for police trade ins. Carried a lot and shot a little. It is very comfortable to shoot with the 125gr magnum loads. I opt for non sticky grips as they tend to grab my cover garment. I love the Hogue bantam profile but would rather have the wood variety.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

JCook, I must admit that I have no idea what is currently in the S&W catalog. Way back in the line of duty days, I carried the m-66 and 19. They are grand revolvers and I wouldn't part with mine. But I wouldn't carry them either. They are just too big. And the smaller .357's kick like the devil. I don't mind recoil, but recoil recovery is going to slow down a second accurate shot. For carry purposes I prefer my old M-36 with three inch barrel if I want to carry a revolver. But, I gotta tell you, that the Kahr MK9 is my "go to" carry gun.

http://cdnn.powerfulhosting.com/obje...tml/icOid/4643

CDNN had some great buys on the S&W Model 65 and I think they still have some 3-inch models.

EDC is Kahr MK9. Occasionally, I carry a Model 19 w/2.5" barrel on my belt. Picked it up for $350 from a seller on THR less than a year ago. It was in nearly-new condition when I got it.

Personally, I don't mind the recoil with .357 ammo. I don't shoot anything very hot though, just run-of-the-mill 158 grain hollowpoints.

Links