Current events have helped me rethink my conceal weapons carry, need advice..

This is a discussion on Current events have helped me rethink my conceal weapons carry, need advice.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry Walther PPK/S loaded with federal hydra shocks IWB and Smith 340PD loaded with Corbon Pow'Rball .38 Special +P in ankle rig/sometime pocket ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current events have helped me rethink my conceal weapons carry, need advice..

Current events have helped me rethink my conceal weapons carry, need advice..

I currently carry Walther PPK/S loaded with federal hydra shocks IWB and Smith 340PD loaded with Corbon Pow'Rball .38 Special +P in ankle rig/sometime pocket holstered. I have decided that I want to carry a 4-5inch frame loaded for .45acp. I have a first generation Kimber Stainless TLE RL II with the external extractor. I am thinking of possibly carrying this but in range practice it seems to have a problem with failure to feed after about 100-150 rounds of dirtier ammo (Wally world brand cheapy stuff). I know in a defensive carry I would not chamber for such cheap ammo. Also more then likely I would never be shooting any were near 100-150 rounds not unless I am faced against a zombie hoard. I recently shot both the 4" and 5" Springfield XD 45 compacts and really like both. I have previously owned Sig P220 rail model and no problems with it. Just to head off the Glock fans, no offense they are just not to my liking. Need advice on my Kimber and would you feel comfortable with carrying something that has failure to feed and or would you willing to spend a little money to make it a little more reliable and what would you have done? Or would you rather just sell this Kimber and purchase something that have both pretty proven tract records?

2. Remove Ads

I would send it back to Kimber if it has a problem. Kimber should take care of it for you..
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I had a Sig P229 (.40) that had a FTF issue that NOTHING seemed to fix.......I got rid of it. That's just me. I've owned 2 1911's and carried them, I took care of 'em and they always worked. I have 2 Glocks.....they have never NOT worked.

The XD45 is a good sidearm.....go to a range that has loners/rents and shoot one (and all the rest of the .45's) to see what you shoot best/feels best.
    You will be the one that has to live with it, ask questions, "test drive" as many as possiable, and consider your carry habits and the guns reputation......then go get it!

Just my 1 cent
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'm not into Glocks or XD's either for that matter. I'm old-fashioned and like full sized 1911's best of all semi-auto pistols. I don't mind their size or weight. They're mighty "shootable". You mention that you had owned SIG 220 and it looks like one of the best of the "new" breed to me. I'd be willing to own and shoot a P220. I go against the grain and choose larger over the "compact" models.

I'm keen on the double action revolver but also like 1911's and Hi-Powers. I do keep a Kel Tec P3AT handy for those occasions where nothing else will fit. I'm not a huge fan of the P3AT but there's nothing else quite like it on the market for size/cartridge effectiveness. It makes a better alternative to a similarly sized .25 ACP. The P3AT stays behind if I can fit anything bigger into the "scheme of things".

While you won't be shooting 100-150 rounds in self-defense (except in your worst nightmare) I'm leery of guns that begin to balk after a couple of boxes of dirty ammo. One can carry guns that don't balk period. The Kimber may well smooth out and run after it's been shot some more. My Colt Gold Cup was found to get balky after shooting a few boxes of dirty ol' Wolf ammo. I wouldn't choose my Gold Cup for defensive carry anyway as that wasn't its original purpose. On the same afternoon I was burning up the freebie Wolf ammo, my old 1911 consumed quite a bit more of it and never hiccuped. A more confidence-building performance for a gun that could be toted.

I wouldn't give up on that Kimber if I was in your situation. I'd just give it a thorough wringing out, keeping it scruplously clean and oiled between shooting sessions. You already have it and it's a respected brand and great design. Your magazines are probably fine if it goes 100-150 rounds before choking. Perhaps, like the Gold Cup, the manufacturing tolerances are somewhat tighter than they are on the U.S. military 1911's and 1911A1's. Sometimes I think that most modern 1911 manufacturers go too far in tightening up the 1911 to the user's detriment. The design will still be very accurate with a little more slop than is frequently seen in modern renditions, and reliable function is more assured.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; December 13th, 2007 at 09:32 AM.

4 inch 1911 candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Ionizedsky View Post
    I have decided that I want to carry a 4-5inch frame loaded for .45acp.
    Some people do carry the full size steel 1911s with 5 inch barrel, like your Kimber. Some of us are lazy, however, and don't want to hide a 40 ounce gun with a long slide - so we go with one of the "reduced size" models.

Since you mentioned a 4 inch barrel in your post, perhaps you should consider one of the lightweight "Commander" 1911s on the market, such as those from Kimber, Colt, S&W and others. They typically weigh about 28 ounces empty and are easier to conceal because of the shorter barrel.

I personally use a Kimber Pro CDP in this category, and it has gone through over 1000 rounds of ammo without a problem. It conceals well in the right holster - I use a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard.

Last edited by pogo2; December 12th, 2007 at 07:16 PM.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Just from my observations, give up on the Kimber. The external extractor has been an ongoing problem for them, as they have since gone back to the internal extractor. Sell it, and if you like 1911s, buy a newer one with the internal extractor. You are not alone with the FTF problems with that gun--my advice would be to sell it and buy a newer one with a proven design.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I probably will sell it I am thinking. Any takers?? Lol sorry thats for the other section. Does any one have an opinion on the Para 1911. I have a hog 9 but don't like the short fat grip. I wouldn't mind it if it was a bit longer in the grip. I was just looking at their tac-four model http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=21

Any opinions quality wise on there products.

Call Kimber and get it back to them so they can exchange slides and get you back on top. That Kimber will make an excellent CC gun once they get rid of the plagued external extractor.

Don't send it back to Kimber; Find a master pistolsmith that specializes in 1911's and have him go through it. More than likely the gunsmith will find something that wasn't fitted right and will make it a flawless weapon.

the second thing you can do is buy Cobra Mags from Tripp research. They seat the round a little higher in relation to the bore axis, so they eliminate feeding problems that occur with the 1911 while trying to feed hollowpoint or wadcutter ammunition.

Good Luck
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    most failure to feed problems are not an extractor problem at all... most of the time it is a dirty chamber, buy a chamber cleaning tool at MidwayUSA. OR it is a magazine issue. I recommend Wilson Combat mags, but there are other good ones...Tripp Cobra, or chip mccormick mags come to mind.
    I haven't seen your gun...but Failure to feed usually isn't an extractor problem
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Para Carry or Para LDA.
    Absolutely reliable.
    Chip McCormick mags.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

My EDC is uaually a Kimber Ultra CDP II...on my Harley I take my Glock-36...both have been flawless...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Kimber's external extractor guns can be problematic when dirty. IMHO its a fine carry gun IF YOU KEEP IT CLEAN . I suspect you will note that you never have a problem untill you break 100 rounds , more likely closer to 200+ without cleaning . This is a design problem , but does not really affect the guns reliability for ccw , tho it could for competition shooting . A friend of mine has 12 or 14 kimbers and most if not all of the external extractor guns show this . The solution is simple , rigorous and thural cleaning .

If it makes you feel more secure in your carry gun , by all means change , but i dont really see the need if you otherwise like the kimber .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Keep your Kimber. They are great guns. You can send it back to Kimber I recommend this) and they will swap your slide for a new one or you can polish the breach face around the fireing pin hole. Sometimes there are slight tool marks that can hang up a round and those tool marks will hold more grit and grime.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

WOW I am such an impluse buyer

Okay so I am gonna keep the Kimber. I do a very detailed job of cleaning it after everytime I shoot it. I took it to the range today and put two hundred down range and broke it down half way through and wiped clean real quick and relubed. Of course as I described it failed to feed several times during the 200 downrange. I do use wilson combat 8rd magazines. So I do not believe it to be a magazine problem. I think I will send it to Kimber first and see what they do before I goes a far to send to a gunsmith.

On another note I looked at the Para's very close. I came very close to picking up there Carry 12 with LDA trigger. I found out though unlike a traditional double action trigger if you have a hard primer you can pull the trigger a second time if you want. I know maybe not the best practice. Anyways due to that fact I decided against the Para. I was thinking about getting the Sig P220 Carry but I decided I did not want the shorter barrel. I finally decided on a new Springfield XD 45 tactical compact for price reliability and practicality. I rented one and after shooting it I really liked it. It is just all black, I need to change the sights still but only so much time in a day. I think this gives me the best of both worlds. 5inch .45 with the option for compact grip length with 10 rds or full size grip length with 13 rds. Accuracy right out of the box is very impressive. I was able to get two and half inch groups standard style weaver stance at 15 yards.

Any Ideas for a great IWB for a tactical XD .45 that is comfortable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links