I have come to the conclusion...

This is a discussion on I have come to the conclusion... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have come to the conclusion that many DC forum members are independently wealthy or are collecting guns for retirement just like professional stamp or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have come to the conclusion...

Distinguished Member

I have come to the conclusion...

I have come to the conclusion that many DC forum members are independently wealthy or are collecting guns for retirement just like professional stamp or coin collector's do, or they work for the Mafia. Every time someone can't make up their mind about two, three, or four guns in a forum thread , some joker slaps up not just the three guns but also in stainless, nickel, wood grips, polymer, with Crimson Trace, without Crimson Trace, night sites, standard sites, no sites, regular mags, extended mags, preban, postban, with hollow points and with FMJ.
    Just ordinary guys like the rest of us...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that many DC forum members are independently wealthy or are collecting guns for retirement just like professional stamp or coin collector's do, or they work for the Mafia. Every time someone can't make up their mind about two, three, or four guns in a forum thread , some joker slaps up not just the three guns but also in stainless, nickel, wood grips, polymer, with Crimson Trace, without Crimson Trace, night sites, standard sites, no sites, regular mags, extended mags, preban, postban, with hollow points and with FMJ.
    Just ordinary guys like the rest of us...
    In my case...gun poor.

Haven't you ever heard of the 'one gun per month' plans that the dem's are always proposing? If you take them up on it, you'll be sporting a major collection of your own in no time :)

Back here on planet earth, you'll find that there's far more of 'us' with a handful of firearms in the safe, than there are of 'them', with million dollar collections. Most of the guys with hundreds of firearms have been assembling that collection for quite some time.

Since you asked the question, I'm assuming you're fairly new to the game. Give it a few years, you might be surprised how fast your collection grows!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Each person must decide their own priorities for use of their money. Some people drive nice cars, motorcycles, have lots of the latest electronic equip, etc.

I drive a junker, totaled my Bike and never replaced it, let my barn and out buildings colapse, do not have T.V. cable or satelite, no blackberry or palm pilot, no cell phone, no pager, have a old stereo, All my furniture has been given to me, most of my clothes are in need of repair.

I choose to collect knives and guns. The prices keep going up so I have to extend my time between purchases longer.

I am retired and get less then $1,600 a month. My priorities are knives and guns so that is where I spend any extra money I may come by.

If I were rich I would have 2 or 3 thousand guns at least and probably a million knives. I am not so I only have about 1,500 knives and 26 guns.

Assistant Administrator
    Tom ..... old age has but few compensations but in my case it is getting my ''collection'' built up - re-built actually since I 'lost'' 24 handguns in UK in '97!!

I am independently quite poor actually but - my guns are a sort of ''saving'' if you will - a means of holding some inventory that not only gives me pleasure but which does hold some useful value - in more ways than just fiscal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Hey, I like that "One gun per Month" plan. I think I'll adopt it for next year.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

The only way I could stay with 1 gun per month is if the gun shops start handing them out free or if the brady group started giving me money so I could keep up.

VIP Member
    Me too... but I can always dream.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I am almost 70 and still have my very first firearm I got before I was old enough to go to school. I've been a serious collector for all these years and have been fortunate enough to have some very nice pieces I picked up at decent prices. A dear friend died and left me his collection of antique firearms and they are my treasures for now. The collectors pieces are locked away in a very secure place and I only get to visit them when I am willing to do a bit of traveling.

My will leaves the antiques and collectable guns to a museum, th reat go to my kids. (I think some of them are drooling)

Raeven, do you shoot all 26 of your guns on occasion or are some of them just for collection?
    Do those of you with more than 10 or 15 guns actually shoot them all?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    just remember...don't allow my wife to sell them for what I told her I paid for them.
    and for the record...buy them all.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by LAFLA View Post
    Raeven, do you shoot all 26 of your guns on occasion or are some of them just for collection?
    Do those of you with more than 10 or 15 guns actually shoot them all?
    Yes. Everything gets at least a function check once a year.

Assistant Administrator
    LAFLA - All my guns have been shot, by me.

There is however a ''pecking'' order - such that a percentage spend a lot of time in the safe .... they are either collectibles, special purpose or like muzzle loaders, guns I am too darned lazy to want to clean

There is then the ''day-to-day'' category which includes those that do get out to sun and the aroma of burned powder as often as I can manage it.

Finally the top category would be defensive guns - generally those which I carry or have carried or which would serve such purpose.

I guess it's a hierarchical thing - but never enough time to shoot em all - sadly!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTXCop View Post
    Hey, I like that "One gun per Month" plan. I think I'll adopt it for next year.
    Next year that may be your only option.

wyo-man

I only have 8 handguns and find it a challenge to justify to my wife why I need to take all of them to the range when she and I only carry 2-3 different ones (she only 1) on a daily basis. I tell her that we need to keep in practice with the house gun, and when it is cold (if ever, here in FL) I might want to carry the larger pistols under a coat, and if we go camping, the revolver would be better in the dust and dirt, and the Buckmark saves us money with the .22 ammunition and it still gives us good practice with trigger control, etc. etc. blah, blah, blah. it's getting harder to justify spending the ammunition money on all of them....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links