Defensive Carry banner

Thinking RUGER P345

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  obxned 
#1 ·
Just looking for opinions of Ruger's new P345 .45 Auto. I've been surf'n the web and the general consensus I've put together sofar :

1. Good Solid Gun - for being plastic
2. Some can take or leave the magazine disconnect safety feature
3. Hard double action trigger pull - about 8+lbs
4. Affordable
5. "Nice" looking - (that's what caught my eye)
6. Some sticky magazine issues

Those are the most talked about highlights, and I haven't found one locally to actually hold and "inspect" myself. I'm looking at getting a smaller auto/larger cal. (.40/.45) for my everyday carry weapon (sorry, not a Revolver man).

Any insights? Suggestions? Take it/Scrap it? Oh and $ is important

and for those who were wondering : I luv my Beretta 92FS just fine cause it's cheap/fun to shoot, the wife had a hand in helping me pay/get it, and it's the 1st pistol that mine, so I'm keep'n it. :hand10:

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
A buddy got one and let me put it through it's paces, so to speak. I really enjoyed it. It was easy to handle and manipulate the controls, comfortable to shoot and it was plenty accurate for a defensive handgun. One of the four magazines had a weak spring, but I usually replace all my mag springs with wolff springs to begin with, so that's not an issue. I didn't think the trigger was bad at all, just typical of a double action. I'm not really big on double/single guns but it was nice. I would have to give it the BOOM-STICK Seal of Approval.

#3 ·
I've got one and I really like it.

The double action trigger pull is very heavy but with a bit of practice, I've adjusted to it.

The sticky magazine issue I've experienced. There is a 'pin/bolt' on the right side of the pistol and if that gets completely unsettled, then you'll experience that issue. It has only happened to me once in about 2000 rounds and it's absolutely no problem to fix (literally just a push with your finger).

For the price, I'm very impressed with this gun and I highly recommend it. It looks good, is a good classic name, and is an all around great shooter. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something just slightly different than what everyone else has (Glocks, Sigs, XDs, 1911s, etc).

I've put a Insight M6X on it and it is layed out really well and I have no issues reaching or things of that nature. I've got a Galco OWB and a Crossbreed IWB for it and it carries very nice. It's certainly no sub-compact but it's a good size pistol to actually draw and shoot with and I have no problem concealing it.

If you're looking for something just a bit smaller than the P345 I highly, highly recommend the Steyr M40-A1. The Steyr isn't quite the looker the P345 is and is from a not so popular company within the United States (but they're huge overseas) but it is extremely concealable and I typically pick it up more than my Ruger because it is slightly smaller, I'm not as worried about messing it up, higher mag capacity(although it's .40S&W), and it cost less (but I still trust my life to it so even though it's cheaper, that doesn't reflect quality). CDNN has some AMAZING deals on it and it's worth checking out.

Just my $0.02...

#5 ·
I wouldn't classify a heavy double action pull as an issue. It's heavier than my Steyr, but it's also a different gun with a different trigger system. I adjusted to it and I actually like it that way now since it's more of my home defense gun.

The sticky magazine issue (and it's not much of an issue...the mag doesn't just fall right out when you hit the mag release however it still drops out, just takes half a second rather than instant) happened one time, and that's because of my carelessness. I didn't pay close attention to it. Now before I put it in my holster and onto my belt, I just make sure that's pushed in all the way, along with a press check and making sure my safety is on if I want to carry it cocked and locked or off if I want a double action pull.

The Ruger P345 is an excellent pistol and I don't regret my purchase one bit. It is an excellent shooter and I'm proud to own it.

#6 · (Edited)
the RUGER P345 is still in the running for a CCW weapon but after posting my original inquery I discovered that the 345 is pretty much the same size as my 92. - DOUGH!!!!

I've been looking at so many handguns w/options & opinions from forum members and local handgun dealers - I'm getting dizzy.:blink:

In my travels I recently discovered the new multi platform SIG 250 compact, and have put that up against Springfield XD .40 Service and the S&W 990L - plus about 20 others!

I'm really looking for a pistol with:

1. multiple grip (large hands)
2. smaller than my 92 for a CCW
3. not going to have to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy
4. local availability to look at and "feel"

Oh and I just discovered that Beretta is releasing a new sub-compact ver. of the PX4 in both 9mm/.40S&W with handgrip options and mag extentions in 08'. hmmmmmmm

Ah well the search continues. Thanks all for your input!:bier:

#8 ·
It can be a very good gun, but...

I have a P345. It was my first gun. It shoots very well. It isn't quite as accurate as my Sig P220, but it is more accurate than the P226. If you have smaller hands (which, having just read your latest post, I see you don't :duh:), I think the grip is very good.

I personally don't mind the mag disconnect safety, but I do have a problem with the way it is implemented---you can not dryfire the weapon with no magazine in place, or you will break your firing pin. If this bothers you, don't get the gun. If the disconnect safety itself bothers you and you want this as a carry or home defense gun, don't get it. It you disable the mag disconnect safety and ever end up in front of a court for a self defense shooting, the prosecutor will have a field day 'proving' how you made the weapon 'more dangerous'. (I realize other folks may have differing opinions on this, but this is my take.)

My mags were tight for a little bit, but after some breaking in they drop free nicely. One other minor quibble is the lack of availability of holsters and, even more so, after-market sights.

For me, though, the reason I am going to get rid of mine is that it just isn't reliable enough. P345s had a lot of early teething problems. They seem to have gotten a lot better lately, and the people who have reliable ones love them---with good reason, I think. In my case, I have had extraction problems leading to double-feeds since day one, despite having replaced the extractor claw myself, then having sent the gun back to Ruger for servicing. If I go to the range and run a hundred rounds, I will probably end up with 6--8 FTE, and that just doesn't cut it. (And please believe me, I am not limp-wristing. :smile: I don't have limp-wrist problems with any other weapons, and most of the P345 reviews I read said how the gun would work fine even when the reviewer deliberately tried to limp-wrist!)

I don't want to turn you off the gun, but this is my realistic analysis of a weapon I've put about 5,000 rounds through. If it were reliable, I would think it was a fun pistol, and there's no doubt how well it shoots.

#10 ·
Thanks DrSal & kazzaerexys ,

The XD is something I've looked at because local dealers actually have some in stock - no P345 anywhere yet.
I like Sigs, but not their prices. And the closest dealer is in MN. or SD. from me. Sig's website claims there's a dealer in ND. but I can't find a lisiting. Anyways I'm not in the habit of driving 200+ miles just to "see" if I like something anyways. :scruntiny:

Besides the wife made it clear to me on saturday - no more guns for myself - she wants to get a CCW like myself in January/February, so I'm been "ordered" to prowl for a smaller auto for her in either a .380 or 9mm (I can't convince her of a bigger cal. at this point - she's convinced she can't handle the recoil) in a compact/sub-compact frame depending on which one fits her better.

The Beretta 85FS Cheetah & a Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry are one's I've found (both .380 auto) & a Taurus Millennium PT-111 (9mm) are both on hand at local dealers. I'm pushing for at least a 9mm (I shoot the same currently) to keep ammo costs down, for her to practice with.

She's going to try my 92 our next trip out to the range, and I'm hoping the "recoil" issue will dissolve away. I'm just using Winchester 115 FMJ for target shooting, and have some Blazer 124 JHP for home defense. (again availability & price)

So any input & suggestions are alway welcome.

Thanks all :hand10:

#11 ·
I would go with 9mm. I like the Cheetah, but it's recoil is no better than a 9mm, and .380 is, shall we say, certainly no better a stopper than 9mm, and at about twice the price! I haven't fired the Bersa 9mm Thunder, but I have heard a lot of good things about the Thunders in general.

You might look at the new Ruger SR-9. It's gotten some pretty good feedback that I have seen.

The Sig P250 would be my other suggestion, but I haven't even seen one yet, and it sounds like you aren't likely to, either. :frown: You could also check out gunbroker.com for a used Sig P239.

#12 ·
Yea I saw that the SIG P250 was coming out soon in 3 diferent "platforms" and in multi-calibers. I was definately looking at one of those as a option for a CCW for myself, but "availability" is again an issue way up here in BF North Dakota. I'm a hands-on man, and don't ususally buy anything with out first seeing it. (ok ebay can be a compromise, but I have a $65 rule there) Oh and being a SIG, I'm sure the price is off the charts.:mad:

I'll talk to the local gun dealer I use, about buying thru websites like gunbrokers. I have absolutley NO experience buying guns online, when I see 'em in the display case.....I like......I ponder the price....I buy.

I will however take a closer look at the RUGER SR-9. I own 2 Ruger's now and have absolutely no complaints what so ever with either. I too have read the reviews, and they seem pretty decent, and of course......I've seen it here - which helps.

Most of the local dealers here for the most part carry a pretty "mainstream" variety of brands - GLOCKS, SPRINGFIELD/XD's, WALTHERS, BERETTA, TAURUS, RUGER etc....oh and some serious cheap oddballs I wouldn't touch with at 10 meter cattle prod.
It's the VARIETY of each MODEL available to look at that's scarce.:aargh4:

I'm still look'n and keeping my options open.

#13 ·
Yea I saw that the SIG P250 was coming out soon in 3 diferent "platforms" and in multi-calibers. I was definately looking at one of those as a option for a CCW for myself, but "availability" is again an issue way up here in BF North Dakota. [...] Oh and being a SIG, I'm sure the price is off the charts.:mad:
Well, used SIGs are your friends...but, of course, that's not an option on the P250. :icon_neutral: And not that many 'variations' are out yet (9mm compact only, though presumably all three grip sizes are available), but the price is under $600, which ain't bad for a SIG!

#14 ·
FWIW -

My 345 carries much better than my 92. I know there doesn't appear to be much difference in size. I think the 345 is at the upper limit of what I can carry comfortably. - And it is my primary carry.

Also...

I removed my mag disconnect and would not trust a 345 with it in. Also I did some work on the trigger and it now has the best SA "trigger" of any handgun I own. That amazed me because it started out kinda rough.

#15 ·
With the low-profile controls, the P345 carries very well. The double action trigger improves from just OK to darn good with a bit of use. Accuracy is fabulous, and it eats everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.