Home defense? Glock 30 SF vs. Sig 229 .40 cal.

This is a discussion on Home defense? Glock 30 SF vs. Sig 229 .40 cal. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just been informed dealers have the new Glock 30 SF. It's the same as the Glock 30 but they narrowed the grip for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home defense? Glock 30 SF vs. Sig 229 .40 cal.

Home defense? Glock 30 SF vs. Sig 229 .40 cal.

I have just been informed dealers have the new Glock 30 SF. It's the same as the Glock 30 but they narrowed the grip for better handling. Out of the Glock 30 SF and the Sig 229 .40 caliber, which one would you prefer for home defense and why do you prefer this gun? Thank you for your thoughts.

Semper Fi!

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Depends on the home and ammuntion your using. Thereboth awesome. I would get the Sig first then buy the Glock. Due to the magazines maybe banned someday in the SIG.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Well here is a totally biased opinion, (hey at least I admit it right) We have three Glocks, 21, 21SF and a 19. You can't beat the simplicity of point and shoot. I can't say for Sig, but all three Glocks we have, operate in the same exact manner, they all disassemble the same way, and the 21 and 21SF share mags.

JMHO.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    I generally prefer Sigs over Glocks, so I say go for the Sig. If you like Glocks better, get the Glock. Either is a very good handgun that will serve its intended purpose well - try to see which one feels and shoots better for you. Boring, stock answer, but there it is...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Both good, but pick Sig

Given the choice posed, I would go with the Sig P229 in .40 for home defense. The big advantage of the Glock 30 is the polymer frame and light weight (24 ounces empty) for easier carry, whereas the Sig P229 is rather heavy (32 ounces empty). But in home defense more weight is good, because it steadies the gun and absorbs recoil for faster multiple shots.

Additionally, the DA/SA trigger of the Sig might be safer for use when you have just awakened from a sound sleep and are handling a gun in defense of your home while your head is still a little fuzzy. A ten pound trigger (Sig DA pull) is more forgiving of sloppy handling than the Glock 5.5 pound trigger.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    I have just been informed dealers have the new Glock 30 SF. It's the same as the Glock 30 but they narrowed the grip for better handling. Out of the Glock 30 SF and the Sig 229 .40 caliber, which one would you prefer for home defense and why do you prefer this gun? Thank you for your thoughts.

Semper Fi!
    For home defence, my first choice is a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #3 buckshot.

However given the choices.... Go with the SIG.

Sig....If you have the cash to spend on it. They are a very reliable and easy to use. Also...that post about the mags. Only the SCT versions are high cap. Even then it is only the mag that makes the gun SCT (super cap tactical I think is what that stand for) My buddy who is Sig dealer cant even order those mags. They arent selling them unless it is purchased as a SCT gun. Hopefully that changes soon.

If anyone knows/has a heard a different story or has been able to purchase the high cap mags (SCT) please speak up. I would be interested to find out how.

Glock for me as the Sig P229 just does not feel right in my hands.

IMHO, get the one that fits you and shoot the heck out of it to familiarize yourself with it.

Flip a coin, Heads--Sig & Tails--Glock: Either way YOU WIN !!

I'd get the 229.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Tough call. They're both great. It's like saying Audi or Mercades. (OK the Sig has to be Mercades.) Come to think of it- I had an Audi and it was a piece of crap, so lets say the Glock is a Lexus. Confused yet???

It's really preference. If you're going to carry the gun out then the Glock has some edge due to weight. If I were choosing right now then it would probably be the Sig.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post

Semper Fi!
    Personally I don't think it matters. I can't think of one BG that would want to stand on the other end of any angry home owner with any gun. In regards to what i'd choose, i'd pick the Glock, but that might be because I carry a Glock and am a little biased towards them.

Had a Glock 30 .45 now have a Sig .40 I much prefer the Sig. It's not tempermental about reloads like the Glock was and in fact has never had a FTF or jam. The Sig is also much more comfortable to shoot. They both are quite accurate.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I am a Sig fan, own 5 of them..I don't like Glock, preference, as I have owned 5 of them. Personally, I would get them both, heck, it's only money.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Given the choice posed, I would go with the Sig P229 in .40 for home defense. The big advantage of the Glock 30 is the polymer frame and light weight (24 ounces empty) for easier carry, whereas the Sig P229 is rather heavy (32 ounces empty). But in home defense more weight is good, because it steadies the gun and absorbs recoil for faster multiple shots.

Additionally, the DA/SA trigger of the Sig might be safer for use when you have just awakened from a sound sleep and are handling a gun in defense of your home while your head is still a little fuzzy. A ten pound trigger (Sig DA pull) is more forgiving of sloppy handling than the Glock 5.5 pound trigger.

sorry to change the subject, but pogo it seems like you have or have a picture of every gun someone wants to know about......
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links