Picked up my M&P 9c today - Page 2

Picked up my M&P 9c today

This is a discussion on Picked up my M&P 9c today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by clarkston_cz Is the M&P Compact lighter than a Glock 26/27? Any thinner? Virtually same width, couple ounces heavier. M&P 9c Glock 26 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up my M&P 9c today

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    Is the M&P Compact lighter than a Glock 26/27? Any thinner?
    Virtually same width, couple ounces heavier.

M&P 9c Glock 26
    Overall Length: 6.7" 6.29"
    Weight Empty: 21.7 oz. 19.75 oz
    Overall Height: 4.3" 4.17"
    Width: 1.2" 1.18"
    Sight Length: 5.75" 5.67"
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Very nice.

I carry a full size M&P9 and really like it.

I'm sure you will not be disappointed.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Check out this MP forum. http://mp-pistol.com/boards/portal.php Lots of discussion about the gun. I own the .40 compact, i am 900 rounds downrange without a single failure. If you got the flatbase plate and you want the extension you can give smith and wesson a call and they'll send you a free extension for your gun.

Matt is correct, it is known that some early compacts suffered from mag drops. Some of them show up early and some show up only after 1k rounds.

Well, despite the snow Saturday, I made it to the range 5 min late to discover . . . I was the only one in my class! It made for a great time since we were able to review the basics and focus on things like cleaning and ammo selection that I had questions on.

Lunch was some delicious chili. Perfect for a cold snowy day. Talk about a full service range!

After lunch was live fire. Loaded her up with Winchester White Box and round #1 was a stovepipe. I totally limpwristed it. Guess even though it's a 9mm, you still have to hang onto it. Duh. Went through the next 99 in no time. Thankfully my two instructors each had 50 rds to get rid of, so I was able to put another 100 through it. (They both carry .45's) Thanks guys!

So after 200 rounds, the only failure was operator error, and 50 of the donated rounds were S&B (???) that looked like they had been sitting around a while.

The important things I learned: 1. Keeping your left thumb on the frame cuts group size in half. 2. Holding your breath through all 12 rounds causes group size to double. 3. Shooting 16 rounds through the instructor's govt. 1911 all in a group 1/2 the size of my best M&P group proves there's no substitute for a full size hunk 'o' steel.

All in all, I love the gun. It's exactly what I expected. The trigger is a little rough, but I've heard it usually is, and smooths out after 500 rounds or so. I am going to hit up S&W for the extended mag plate and see if they have the shorter mag release button. I haven't had any problems with mags releasing, but if I try, I can push the gun hard against my hip bone and release the mag. (I think many of the releases while shooting may be due to gripping with the thumb over the release instead of up near the slide.) It also desperately needs some night sights.

Best of all, when I checked the mail today, my holsters from Crossbreed were here! I've got them on now, trying to loosen them up. (If you have recommendations for a "cream type" leather conditioner let me know.) I messed around with a few different positions, but the best was about 3:30 where the gun lays against the flat part of my hip bone with a full forward cant. I really like the holsters. They're not as pretty as others, but it's a good honest holster for a working man's wage. Thanks Mark!

And of course I just bought a Dickies belt that I thought would be long enough with the holsters, but sure enough, it's just a little short for the extra 3" the holsters add. Luckily, I bought my pants big, and they fit perfect now. So, tomorrow it's off to Wal-Mart for a new belt!!!
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

I hope you have good luck out of your 9c. I have had 2 M&P 40c pistols, and I had problems with both of them. The first one (MPLXXXX) would constantly lock back with rounds still in the mag. I got rid of it. I picked one up the other day, and still loved how they feel. I did some research, and saw many others with that problem, along with mags dropping out while shooting and light primer strikes. Everyone was in agreement that S&W had rectified these issues, so I took a chance and bought a new one. (MPZXXXX)

I should have listened to my gut. The first 50 rounds of 180 grain Blazer Brass FMJ netted one failure to feed and 2 light primer strikes. I bought a box of Fiocchi 170 grain FMJ. It wouldn't even feed them. Period. Bam...misfeed....fix it.....Bam....misfeed.

I only fired 5 rounds of the Fiocchi and gave up in disgust. I pulled out my duty Glock 22, which of course fed, fired and ejected every last one of the rounds like a quality pistol is supposed to.

With their revolver locks and problematic auto pistols, I'm done with S&W. I've wasted too much money on them. No, I'm not fooling around with sending it to the factory to "make it right." It should have left the factory in full operational condition. Light primer strikes and failures to feed with ball ammo are not "break-in period" issues.

Thankfully, I didn't trade my Glock 27 in on this POS. It has never given me a single heartburn over thousands of rounds. Neither has my Beretta PX4 Storm pistol. I should have known better than to buy a pistol that the company is off-loading with rebates and free mag offers. That's the same thing GM does with its shoddy cars that nobody wants. I sense that the M&P ain't selling so well. You've never seen a Glock rebate, have you?

I'm sorry if this offends, and I hope that your M&P's never malfunction. Maybe the full size and 9mm's are ok, I don't know. I wanted a compact .40. I'm just extremely angry right now. $500 is a lot of money to me, and I'm fixing to take a big loss. I'll fill out the rebate card and at least get $50 back. Maybe I'll feel a little better when I trade it in on a real pistol. I think my G27 could use a G30 brother. I was going to wait for the M&P Compact 45, but forget that. If this is the kind of crap they let out of the factory, I don't want one for $300, let alone $500 and change.

Buyer beware.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    Virtually same width, couple ounces heavier.

M&P 9c Glock 26
    Overall Length: 6.7" 6.29"
    Weight Empty: 21.7 oz. 19.75 oz
    Overall Height: 4.3" 4.17"
    Width: 1.2" 1.18"
    Sight Length: 5.75" 5.67"
    The 9/40c is right in between a G19 size and a G26 size based on comparisons with my "blue" guns I use for forming. Hope this helps.

Check the MFG site for care instructions but generally holster are 100% sealed so no "creams" are required nor do you want to use them because if they are not sealed they can soften up the leather so it does not hold the gun properly.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Well, I carried yesterday to the office, bank, insurance office, Barnes & Noble, Radio Shack, CompUSA, Wal-Mart, and FedEx.

At the office, I learned that a customer that declined our first two quotes called the big box retailer that we work for to complain that we wouldn't give him a THIRD quote. Apparently during the conversation there was some mention of his life not being worth anything and an AK-47. Corporate security apparently cleared the matter up, but thankfully, the new office manager is with us, and refuses to let us go back out there. (and people wonder why good contractors are hard to find?)

At the bank it was really weird knowing I was carrying, and the security guard was most likely not. (I'm not so sure he was even 21.) At that bank, you'd have to pay me in the seven to eight figure range to get me to work there armed.

After leaving the insurance office, settled back into the seat and wondered if I had released the mag with my hip. I checked my mag, and sure enough, it was loose enough it popped out when I tugged on it. I called S&W today for the shorter release, but the parts guys are all home for Christmas now.

At Barnes and Noble I realized that I was more likely to get made from the squeaky holster leather than printing. Even under my sweatshirt and jacket it was loud enough to notice. Of course they didn't have "Armed Response" in stock. They were all sold out with the exception of the store that just opened. I'll have to just order it. Again,

As I'm leaving CompUSA, they have a security guard at the door checking receipts. The guy in front of me has a backpack (he rode the bus) that they want to search, and he takes exception to the fact that their policy is posted by the EXIT and doesn't want them to search his bag. I hand her my receipt and am on my way.

Then I pull into Wal-Mart, get out and hear a woman screaming. Crazy mad screaming. Apparently she was mad at a lady in a Volvo that took the parking space she wanted. Christmas must really bring out the best in people.

Nachos have been replaced by McDonald's, so I go in search of my belt. None in my size that will work, so I get outta dodge. Although I did consider picking up more ammo, it wasn't worth the wait.

Dinner was later at my parents. My wife was the only one that may have noticed, but only because of the squeaky leather in her ear as I sat down next to her.

MNBurl, my holster is a CrossBreed, which has a leather backer with a kydex piece riveted on that does the actual retention. The instructions say to treat it with a cream type conditioner every 4-5 weeks as oil based products can lift the dye. It's not shiny, so I'm thinking it's not sealed. I'd like to soften it up a little bit to get it to wrap around my hip a little better and hopefully stop it from squeaking so much.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Congratulations on the M&P 9mm. I have the 40 compact and love it. I can't complain at all on the accuracy of the gun either. I have had over 300 rounds threw it and has not had one problem with it. I now that is not much to some people. I do clean and oil my carry guns once a month even if I haven't shot them. I think this is a good practice to get into I feel. Enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links