Para Warthog

Para Warthog

This is a discussion on Para Warthog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, This is my first post and I would really appreciate your opinions regarding the Para Warthog that I am considering purchasing. I'm looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para Warthog

Para Warthog

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post and I would really appreciate your opinions regarding the Para Warthog that I am considering purchasing. I'm looking for a .45 CCW and this gun has me interested. I've held it and it fits comfortably in my hands, although I have not fired one. I am currently used to my Kimber 1911 .45ACP that I will be trading to get this gun (I'm looking for a smaller gun I can carry and cannot afford a 2nd firearm).

I would appreciate it if anyone can comment on the Para's accuracy and reliability. Also, since I have never carried before, the width of the warthog (double stack). Also, the 10 rd double stack is something I really like, but what are your opinions on going to the slim hawg (the single stack version)?

My para 12.45 LDA was a very accurate firearm. All steel made it weighty, but accuracy made up for it.
    The double stack version is only 1/8th of an inch wider than a single stack .45. That can prevent you from carrying an extra magazine (and extra weight), and why not ?... if you can hit with it.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Mr. President, let me be the first to tell you that if you trade the Kimber, you will regret it forever. The Para is great, but the Kimber will grow in you mind to become the best gun you ever had, and you will eventually have to replace it. Your Kimber is hard to beat; sell your car if you must, but not the Kimber...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    Mr. President, let me be the first to tell you that if you trade the Kimber, you will regret it forever. The Para is great, but the Kimber will grow in you mind to become the best gun you ever had, and you will eventually have to replace it. Your Kimber is hard to beat; sell your car if you must, but not the Kimber...
    Don't get me wrong. I love my kimber. It is very accurate, as well as reliable. However I'm looking for a gun I can carry as well and i think a 3in barrel will be better for that than a 4" kimber (the kimber I have is a 5").

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonaldReagan View Post
    Hello everyone,
    This is my first post and I would really appreciate your opinions regarding the Para Warthog that I am considering purchasing. I'm looking for a .45 CCW and this gun has me interested. I've held it and it fits comfortably in my hands, although I have not fired one. I am currently used to my Kimber 1911 .45ACP that I will be trading to get this gun (I'm looking for a smaller gun I can carry and cannot afford a 2nd firearm).

I would appreciate it if anyone can comment on the Para's accuracy and reliability. Also, since I have never carried before, the width of the warthog (double stack). Also, the 10 rd double stack is something I really like, but what are your opinions on going to the slim hawg (the single stack version)?
    I considered getting one a while back, but went with a Colt defender instead. One thing I keep reading is that the mag springs need replacement right out of the box on the Warthogs. Most people replace them with Wolff springs. I can't vouch for this personally because I've never owned one.

Honestly on a 1911 the hardest part to conceal is the grip NOT the barrel. My 4.25" Commander carried IWB is not any more difficult to hide than my full size 1911. Get a good holster for the Kimber - you may be VERY suprised how easy it hides. (I am fairly big/tall 6'3" 225lbs so that may be on my side)

My 5 inch and my 4 1/4 inch 1911's carry the same for all practical purposes with different VM2H holsters.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I had a Warthog, couldn't wait to get it. I called it my Jam-O-Matic. Traded it in after a few trips to the range.

That dont mean they are all bad though, I just got a bad one.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

VIP Member
    The barrel will not be an issue for carry, reliability and ability to use it
    are more important.

JD
    Administrator
    I've had a number of 1911s from many different manufacturers, a gaggle of Paras, a pair of Colts, one lonely Springfield, a quadruplet of Kimbers etc. etc.

I miss my Paras more than my Kimbers, however I do not miss the Hawg more than my other Paras.

The HAWG fills a nice spot, but I found it to be "unbalanced", in retrospect, a different holster could have fixed the problem, but one of the leading graces for carrying any 1911 is the slim grip as that is (as noted above) the hardest part to conceal, and the width of the Warthawg does somewhat compromise the slim grip

My NiteHawg shot like a dream, I had no complaints on that aspect. If you do want to change out grips (another thing I like about the 1911 in general, lots of grip options) you'll have a problem finding after market grips for the double stack Paras.

My biggest gripe on most Paras is that the Parakote finish doesn't hold up well, so if you do go Para, I would go stainless.

Now regarding the SlimHawg, that is my other gripe on the new Paras is the "griptor grooves" on the front strap, I find them to be bothersome, more like finger grooves, I do not like finger grooves as I like my fingers to go where I want them, not where the makers of the gun want them to go, also due to the small size of a 3" 1911 and those grooves, I do not think that the SlimHawg would be fun to shoot on extended range sessions, however I have never tried a Para with such grooves so that's just my personal opinion.

Also, let's talk magazines, spare 10rd Warthawg mags are pricey, the lowest priced quality mag I've found runs $49.00 PER MAG.

Of the two choices, I would go with the Stainless Double stack Hawg.

BUT before I'd go and tell you to run off and buy one and trade in or sell your Kimber, I'd like to know exactly which 5" Kimber you have.

If you're happy with your Kimber, I'd say go with a Kimber Ultra or other single stack 3" 1911, simply because after market mags are more plentiful and cheaper.

I had a thread started not long ago with a similar subject. You may want to take a look at the reviews for the Slim Hawg.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...light=detonics

I have a Wart hawg and love it. I bought it almost brand new from a friend for $350 which makes it all the better. I have only had it jam once at the range and that very well could have been from my limp wristing. I carry in the high noon split decision IWB. No complaints from me. I have read to get the stainless version rather than the black since the black finish gets marked up.

I was looking at a Hawg. One of the guys who work at one of the pawn shops that also sell guns was selling his. I was talking to him for a while about them. He was telling me that he has had to send his back to Para 4 times already due to jamming problems. I don't kow anything about these from first-hand experience except that I like the way they look. His shop had a used one in stock and I was interested in buying it, but he recommended against it.

DC Founder
    I'm with vernonator. A 5" 1911 is not that difficult to make disappear on your side. In fact, the ease of carrying is why I do carry a full size 1911. As long as you can get a good holster that holds them high enough and at the proper cant, their "thinness" makes them very conceal very nicely. Not that there's anything wrong with the WartHog, but you may save some money in trading if you work on concealing the Kimber. Good luck.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I was going for a Warthog and after hearing about some of the down sides went with a XD.45 compact. Not as purdy but 100% rock solid reliable easy to conceal carries 10+1 with a 13 spare. Hit what I point it at low maintenance at about half the price point. Like I said not a beauty queen but the XD is a great workhorse that I know will do the job when my life is on the line and stay out of view until that day comes.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links