Defensive Carry banner

S&W 642 Trigger Work Done?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jframe38 
#1 ·
I was told that I could have trigger work (springs) that would cut about 40% off the pull on the 642.
Anybody ever had this type work done and if yes was it worth it?
I didn't discuss price as I that's not my issue as I was more concerned with messing w/factory settings.
Right now this is my only gun and not real friendly at the range so I was looking for a little "relief".

#4 ·
Nice thread covering the issue. I probably don't even have 100 rounds thru mine yet so I'll spend more time dry firing/range firing first before I do anything. Thanks Slimjim.
Looks like a Wolfie could be on the ajenda if things don't smooth out. Thanks Mo.

#3 ·
I've switched out the springs on a 637 (hammered version of the 642) and it rocks. The pull is MUCH lighter and smoother than factory. It also costs about $12. :smile:

Buy a Wolff reduced power spring set, remove your sideplate, take out the mainspring support rod (whatever it's called, the piece of flat stock that's in the middle of the mainspring), remove the rebound slide and remove the trigger return spring, replace with the medium trigger return spring in the Wolff kit and replace the rebound slide, thread the Wolff mainspring onto the mainspring support and replace, degrease the internals of the action with an aluminum-safe degreaser (not Instaclean or brake cleaner or anything like that) and replace the sideplate.

Dry-fire the gun about 200 times bone-dry to smooth it out even more, then drop a bit of oil into the action around the hammer. Marvel at your awesome new trigger pull. Marvel even more that it cost you $12.

Caveat: Make sure you go practice with your carry ammo before carrying it again. I haven't had a single misfire/light primer strike with any of the ammo I've tried or carry, but you need to make sure it works for you. Most people get into trouble by trying to save $12 by cutting coils from the original mainspring instead of replacing it with a lighter, full-length mainspring. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.