I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons. - Page 2

I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons.

This is a discussion on I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a lot to be said for the S&W M&P in 9mm (full size or compact) Soft shooting, and well contoured with no sharp ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons.

Senior Moderator
    There is a lot to be said for the S&W M&P in 9mm (full size or compact)

Soft shooting, and well contoured with no sharp / hard edges on the grip.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Sure I would not like to get into a gun fight with a 22 LR, but Id rather have one in my pocket than a 357 back in the truck.
    TNS0038, I'm not "picking on you" but I don't want to get in a gunfight, even with my .357 Magnum.

I am an advocate of carrying the biggest gun you can effectively conceal, within reason. What I mean is, I believe in carrying a "Duty Size" weapon if at all possible, and maybe a BUG too.

I shoot my 3"-4" Revolvers, Government Model 1911's and Glock 19's better than my J-Frame "Snubbies", Kahr PM9's or Officer's Model 1911. Since I believe "accuracy is final" it seems crucial to me to have the gun I am most accurate with that I can still effectively conceal.

Many people carry a gun as a "Good Luck Charm" thinking that they are well protected because they have a gun. Truth be told, it's not the gun but the person behind the gun that makes the difference. I will not go someplace that I wouldn't go without a gun and if I "knew" I needed a gun I definately wouldn't go there unless I was "on the clock" and getting paid to go there and had ample "support" and the necessary "tools".

Many calibers will "work" the question is, will they work quick enough to stop the attack? To me the 38 Special/9mm is the bottom of the ladder for a self defensive "Primary Handgun". Yes, a .22 may work but since all handguns are relatively poor stoppers, in relation to long guns, I want to "stack the deck" in my favor as much as I can. Also, I can't effectively conceal my 12 Guage Riot Gun or my .223 Autoloading Rifle.

"A gun should be comforting not necessarily comfortable." Clint Smith said that and I think it's a very true statement that I try to emulate. My off duty "Primary" is either a S&W 22-4, Glock 19 or soon, Ruger GP100. With good leather they are all easy to hide if one dresses around the gun.

Biker

Have you thought about the Bersa .380 acp? Very nicely built, accurate and inexpensive, going new for around $235.

See review here... http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_...bersa_thunder/
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    There is a lot to be said for the S&W M&P in 9mm (full size or compact)

Soft shooting, and well contoured with no sharp / hard edges on the grip.

Matt
    cosign!

Senior Moderator
    I like the full size 9mm, you could find a full size .380 (Makarov or Taurus) or a GP-100 in .38spl
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    TNS0038, I'm not "picking on you" but I don't want to get in a gunfight, even with my .357 Magnum.

I am an advocate of carrying the biggest gun you can effectively conceal, within reason. What I mean is, I believe in carrying a "Duty Size" weapon if at all possible, and maybe a BUG too.

Biker
    I totally agree with you. But if your hands wont handle recoil, then whats a fella to do.

And for my wife, and the Beretta 22, I figure if she starts popping rounds down the hallway, the guys on the receiving end are not going to care what caliber they are.

Stick with large frame guns with a smaller calliber - The mass of the gun will help reduce the recoil felt. The problem with putting up with a little blood loss, is that it limits practice. If practice becomes painful, or no longer fun to practice, you won't. This puts you in a dangerous position of not having the full natural capability to handle and shoot automatically.

For those with very fragile skin, proper stance, good grip doesn't help. People don't realize how easily some people can bruise, or have their skin rip or tear due to some medications. I have seen my mother bruise just from taking my finger and "flicking" her arm. I remember some scotch tape getting stuck to her arm, she said we should use some adhesive remover on it, but I tried to take it off, and the skin came with it... I felt horrible.

Good luck in your search.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

This would be somewhat extreme, but you can get a 22 LR conversion kit for the Beretta 92 series (M9 in the military.)

That'd be so light you could hardly feel it. As others have said here, 22 isn't an ideal defensive round, but a handful of them placed well will do a heck of a lot of damage.

I recently shot a Sig mosquito - was another great 22 semi auto. The only concern I'd have about semi auto 22s is that they jam relatively easily.

If you really like revolvers, I would second the GP100 as a great choice, but I would also consider the SP101. Even buying the .357 mag models are good since you can shoot .38's out of them.

If you are considering other guns, I would really consider the Glock 19. The larger grip should allow for everything to be spread out on you grip, and the 9mm is an excellent round for carry. I think it is a excellent gun with a light recoil.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I picked up a .22 cal sport pistol and shot it for the first time today. While the .22 is less than ideal, so is having a gun you can't practice with much because it hurts or injures you. This Smith 22A is super-smooth, and I was able to put all 10 on paper just as fast as I could pull the trigger, something I can't say is true with my carry 9mm. Practice ammo so dirt cheap its almost free and the ability to make a bunch of holes lightning fast has gotta be a couple of big pluses. If you find you can handle a .380 or 9 thats where I'd go, but this kind of full-sized .22 could do the job, and for about $200 new! Even if it's not what you end up carrying, I'd reccomend one so you can practice, practice, practice without punishing yourself or your wallet.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I have an old Colt pocket pistol .32 auto, not a great caliber but it's probably the smoothest/easiest pistol I've ever shot. (excluding .22's, etc)

Good luck on your quest.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks to all that replied. (What a great response!!!).

Is it OK too shoot mostly 38s in a 357?

WHAT are the chances of the slide biting me on an auto?

Would a light 9mm like the Walther PPS or Glock 19 have much kick?

Thanks again for helping a newbie to the Forum.

Mike

+1 on a larger heavier 9mm

chances of slide bite are practically zero if you know how to hold the gun
    as for a lighter 9mm, it depends on how light. really you need to try some out.

Just trying to narrow it down to a few guns.

There's a gun shop nearby thats rents about everything there is.
    But I don't have the luxury of trying very many before a problem may surface.

Mike

Mo
    Mike,

Pogo2 is right - the Beretta or Stoeger Cougar is a true softie and offers the power of the 9mm. The rotating barrel soaks up recoil like a sponge, and the Cougar is smaller (though not really lighter) than a lot of other big 9mms.

I think if you bruise easy I'm going to disagree with those who have mentioned a 380. Most 380s are true blowback design and I think something like a SIG 232 has snappier recoil than something like a glock or XD in 9mm. I would guess the snappier the recoil, the more the bruising.

Some others have put forth the 38 in a 357 idea, which is a great one, especially if you pick a medium-size all-steel revolver like the SP101 or a S&W model 60. I use black hills 148 gr wadcutters for practice in my snub, and they would cut neat holes in a person if I needed them to. Recoil is next to nothing in the snub and would be basically non-existent in a steel gun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links