I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons.

This is a discussion on I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a thought. You may think about a shooting glove, maybe like from PACT or another vendor. You can practice with it at the range, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons.

Just a thought. You may think about a shooting glove, maybe like from PACT or another vendor. You can practice with it at the range, off when shadow practicing, dry firing at home or other place unloaded. If you need to ever pull it in real life, the event will probably block out any concerns of cuts or bruising.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

2. Remove Ads

Exclamation

I am also sensitive to recoil. I carry the Fn 5 seveN pistol. Very low recoil or none at all. The ammo is like a miniature 223 ar rifle. But there is some controversy about the stopping power. It is a full size gun just weighing in @ 1.2 lbs empty. I carry it on a iswb holster. Its not a cheap gun.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by dagomike View Post
    Thanks to all that replied. (What a great response!!!).

Is it OK too shoot mostly 38s in a 357?

WHAT are the chances of the slide biting me on an auto?

Would a light 9mm like the Walther PPS or Glock 19 have much kick?

Thanks again for helping a newbie to the Forum.

Mike
    yes you can shoot 38s in a 357 mag. I have a Taurus 357 revolver. The only problem I have after I shoot 38s is I get a power ring on my chamber from the short size of the 38. So when I try a 357 cartridge it no longer slides in the chamber because of this power ring. After I fire my 38s I do a good chamber cleaning and the 357s just slide in like butter. If you hold your pistol correctly you will have no slide bite.
    Some time the textures on many new guns is a bit rough on sensitive skin but you can find rubber after market grips or at least some grip cover. That was my experience when it was all new to me.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I totally agree with you. But if your hands won’t handle recoil, then what’s a fella to do.

And for my wife, and the Beretta 22, I figure if she starts popping rounds down the hallway, the guys on the receiving end are not going to care what caliber they are.
    Nothing says you have to load .357 Magnum in the gun.

I was thinking he should load it with "mild Recoiling" 38 Specials. From what I hear, haven't tried them yet, the Gold Dot 135 Grain 38 Spl JHP is a very mild load. It is a short barrel load, but it should work fine in a longer barrel.

The reason I recommended a .357 Magnum is, if he selects an appropriate gun, like the 686 or GP100, the mass of the gun should reduce the recoil even more and also for the versitlity you have with any .357 Magnum revolver in regards to cartridge selection.

Biker

dagomike, after reading your questions it "pops out" at me that you are reletively new to handguns. We all were once.

I strongly encourage you to talk to some of your local gunshops and find out who does "Introductory" firearms courses in your area. The NRA Basic class would be a good one for you to start with.

This will give you a little more knowledge, have many of your questions answered and let you handle some of the guns we are talking about if the Instructor has one for Demo.

By your questions I would also strongly encourage you to look at Double Action Revolvers for starters. They are easier to "Administratively" handle. What I'm referring to is, load, unload, check if they are loaded, etc. After you have some expirience then you may decide to make the switch to an autoloader, which is fine. I started about thirty years ago with a Double Action Revolver, as a kid. Carried one as an LEO until 1997. Now I carry an autoloader at work and after carrying many autoloaders when not at work, have come full circle and favor the round gun again.

Enjoy yourself here and don't be afraid to ask questions, it's a great forum.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    dagomike, after reading your questions it "pops out" at me that you are reletively new to handguns. We all were once.

I strongly encourage you to talk to some of your local gunshops and find out who does "Introductory" firearms courses in your area. The NRA Basic class would be a good one for you to start with.

This will give you a little more knowledge, have many of your questions answered and let you handle some of the guns we are talking about if the Instructor has one for Demo.

By your questions I would also strongly encourage you to look at Double Action Revolvers for starters. They are easier to "Administratively" handle. What I'm referring to is, load, unload, check if they are loaded, etc. After you have some expirience then you may decide to make the switch to an autoloader, which is fine. I started about thirty years ago with a Double Action Revolver, as a kid. Carried one as an LEO until 1997. Now I carry an autoloader at work and after carrying many autoloaders when not at work, have come full circle and favor the round gun again.

Enjoy yourself here and don't be afraid to ask questions, it's a great forum.

Biker
    Ditto..great idea.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

VIP Member
    Yeah, maybe you should see if you can try a 9mm and see if it causes you any grief before you go plunking down any loot.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

How about this
    S&W PC Model 67 comp 38+P
    Attached Images

Just buy a decent pair of thin leather gloves. Golf gloves come to mind for practice.

It aint fun being fragile !

I would advise starting out with a .22 then moving up to a 9mm with standard loads. My brother has a SIG P239 that is a reasonably light shooter, especially with Hogue wraparound grips on it. My mother can shoot it without any trouble and she has significant problems with arthritis in her hands. A steel framed .38 revolver would be another good choice, again with rubber grips. Standard .38 loads don't kick hard, and I believe you can even get reduced recoil .38's.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I like shooting reasonably large and weighty guns and I'm willing to do what needs to be done and wear what needs to be worn to carry them concealed. Good advice for those who dislike the punishment of heavy recoil in a light weight gun. For the recoil sensitive I have to recommend the Beretta 92FS. I usually practice with 115gr FMJ with mine and the recoil is mild enough for just about anybody. The gun carrys and conceals easy enough for me in a Galco Combatmaster and is a pleasure to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I won't recommend a specific gun - just some things to keep in mind.

All Else being equal , The HEAVIER gun will transmit the LEAST felt recoil.

COMFORTABLE Smooth Grips will have the LEAST wear and tear on the hands,
    but may decrease your control of the gun slightly.

In a Full Size gun (normal grip and 4"barrel ) very few people are bothered by
    noise or movement from a 9mm , or .38 special.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Hi Mike
    I 'm familiar with easily bruising, cutting easily, and bleeding. Can you say Plavix ?
    If I may offer a recommendation for a semi heavy, ergonomically correct, light recoil with the correct ammo, easily concealed hand gun, it would be the 9mm Kahr K9 semi auto.
    My reasoning is that:
    It weighs 29 oz. fully loaded with 147gr. bullets.
    The angle of the grip, and the hand position high up on the grip help to lessen the recoil.
    Also a semi auto has less recoil because when the slide moves back it acts as a buffer. Not so with a revolver.
    The grips are full wrap around rubber.
    The size of this 29 oz. gun is 6" long by 4 3/4" high which allows for easy concealablity.
    John

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Several thoughts:

1. SP101; use regular strenght .38's. I have the 3, 1/16" barreled version and added Pachmy Compac grips (probably less than $30) and it's about the softest recoiling gun I have in a decent caliber. I think the 2" version would be just as soft but avoid heavy +P rounds.

2. I do believe a heavier, longer barrel auto in 9mm would also be soft shooting. If you're going to conceal it can't be too long or too heavy but a Kahr K9 will be a soft shooter becasue of the weight and the grip is a soft cushiony material. I alos believe the new Springfield EMP in 9mm will be a reasonably soft shooter but it's pricey at about $1000. It carries 10 rounds on board so you wouldn't even have to worry about a reload for most low threat environments.

3. Last, and almost least, I'd consider a metal revolver that could chamber the .22 magnum. The recoil out of such a weapon would be almost not existent and it would carry 8 rounds. I know it's woefully underpowered for CCW but it it's what you CAN carry and you can shoot it well, it would be worth considering. Here is an example

Problem will be finding something that works for you without buying a lot of guns first.

God Bless
    Gideon
    Attached Images

dagomike,

Where in MI are you? I will be in Ypsilanti over the holiday week. I planned on bringing my guns so I can go to the range in taylor.

I have a S&W 66-7 .357 mag with a 4 inch barrel, Beretta PX4 storm in 9mm, Ruger MKIII hunter .22lr, XD9SC and a XD45C.

If your in the area let me know and you can meet me at the range to try out anything that you would like.

the S&W is a soft shooter with 38's and the PX4 is also mild on the recoil.

-James

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links