I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons.

This is a discussion on I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bruise VERY easily due to meds I take. Also my skin tears when scrapped. So I need a VERY low recoil cc gun. What ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons.

I need a soft shooting cc gun for health reasons.

I bruise VERY easily due to meds I take. Also my skin tears when scrapped. So I need a VERY low recoil cc gun. What choices do I have? I have thought maybe a S&W 686 with 38s or a S&W Model 40.Perhaps a semi auto? Please help me find a soft shooter. This will be my first gun by the way.

Thanks, Mike

2. Remove Ads

I would fire a .22 revolver first and gauge your reaction to that before attempting a .38. I don't think a .40 is an option if you are that sensitive.

Ruger GP-100 3" .357 magnum, loaded with .38's should work. Not as many chances to scrape yourself up, compared to a semi-auto. Easier to load a revolver than to load magazines, and you don't have to worry about slide bite. A 3" barrel should be just a little easier to conceal than a 4".

Any S&W K frame or L frame should work well with standard pressure .38's for you. Adding a Hogue rubber grip helps even more with recoil.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Thanks for the replies. Great thoughts on the revolver. How about a 686 3 in comp? Would the comp. help?

Mike

dagomike, comps are designed to work with higher pressures and I doubt you would see much difference between a comped and uncomped gun unless you loaded "hot" ammo.

I second the vote for the Ruger GP100 with a 3" Barrel. Another option would be a S&W 22-4 with a 4" Barrel, but it's a huge gun to try and hide. It's a 45 ACP and I carry one off duty, but I think the Ruger will still have less recoil. Ruger is also coming out with a .327 Magnum that is suppossed to be "low recoiling". I don't know how popular it will be and what sort of ammo availability you will find for it though.

Good luck and if you look around I'm sure you will find a gun that meets your needs.

Biker

In my opinion----you'd likely be best off with something in a .380 auto. Preferably a metal/alloy one versus a 'plastic' one. Recoil should be minimal with something of that nature. If you have large hands and want something like this, you may have to find something that fits best. Wouldn't want a slide taking your thumb off. I had a Mauser HSC at one time. Pretty nice shooter, and heavy for the size. 9mm Kurtz (short). The ballistics of the .380 have improved somewhat in recent times. Once touted as a 'woman's pistol, or 'purse' pistol-------now a viable back-up, 'pocket' pistol. Try handling a few of them at your local pawn shop just for kicks. Then look into ammo selection. By what you've described, this might be your best prescription.

Administrator

Post Suggestions For Recoil Reduction

I would go with a larger all steel semi-auto in 9mm.

The reason I would select a semi-auto over a revolver is that some of the recoil energy is eaten up by the rearward slide movement and that is not the case with a revolver.

Then fit that firearm with rubber (or now polymer) recoil absorbing grips.

Then I would also add a SPRINCO recoil reducer and you'll be good to go.

Here is the SPRINCO page CLICK HERE that lists all of the firearms it is available for. Scroll down the page. They are made for MANY semi-autos and do not affect reliability but really do work to lessen the felt recoil impulse.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Agree with QKShooter on heavy 9mm

I would agree with QKShooter above that a heavy 9mm gun will have softer recoil than most other candidates. The recoiling slide spreads the recoil force over a longer period of time than is the case with a revolver, and should be less likely to injure your hand.

I would suggest the Stoeger Cougar, which is a 33.5 ounce gun (empty) with a rotating barrel feature that also reduces recoil. The gun has a very ergonomic grip design as well. It was originally designed and manufactured by Beretta in Italy, and is now made by Beretta subsidiary Stoeger in Turkey, but widely sold in the US at a reasonable price in the $400 range.

Here is a link to a review article and a photo:

Guns and Ammo review of Stoeger Cougar

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Lead Moderator
    I think a full size 9mm would be the best bet for light recoil as well. The longer barrel & more weight seem to help keep the recoil down.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have the same situation with my skin, due to the meds I am taking for a heart condition.

You have to figure out which is more important to you, a little blood loss and a few purple places on your hide or your life and maybe the lives of those you care about.

I chose a .1911 in .45 ACP. To hell with a couple of dings in this old skin--they heal in time.

A Commander size 1911 in 9mm would be an excellent choice.

A 45 would be a good choice. My wife is 5' 3" 110 and likes it better than anyother I have owned. 380, 9mm, 38, 40. She says the 45 is just a slow shove on recoil while some of the others have more "snap" in the recoil.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

A Sig 226 in 9mm is about as soft as it gets.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Proper stance and grip will make a big difference. The gun is not going to slap you - its going to push you sharply - provided you use it properly. I suggest going to a range that rents out guns and starting with a .22LR and working your way up to at least a .45 ACP - see what you're willing to put up with. Anything under 9mm is considered by many to be "less than ideal" for self defense. JMO

Austin

I agree with what others have said regarding the 380 auto. I love the Walther PPKís and find itís one of the most accurate little 380 available. Since itís made of steel itís twice the weight of the Kel-Tecís but it sure is a sweet gun to shoot, with minimum recoil.

Loaded with the right ammo, a 380 is no joke, and over the years, has proven itís self worldwide.

If a 380 is to much try a Beretta Bobcat 22 LR auto. Iíve purchased one for my wife over 10 years ago. She target pinks with it all the time, and loves it. No recoil.

Sure I would not like to get into a gun fight with a 22 LR, but Iíd rather have one in my pocket than a 357 back in the truck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links