P3-AT vs 642 - Page 2

P3-AT vs 642

This is a discussion on P3-AT vs 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a 642, but sold it and opted for it's sister, the 442 in black..sexy beast it is....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P3-AT vs 642

I had a 642, but sold it and opted for it's sister, the 442 in black..sexy beast it is.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Both of these guns will throw fire like a PO'd dragon and beat you up when you practice with them, but IMO, the Kel-Tec is the best gun for every day, absolutely without fail 100% carry and concealability. My P3AT is very well broken in, but has never had a fluff n' buff. The trigger pull is about half that of the 642, I carry 2 more rounds, reloads are faster, and I find it easier to hold true on follow up shots. With ANY pocket gun, regardless of if it's an R9 or NAA .22 short, practice, practice, practice. These are NOT beginner's guns, and if you do not put in the time, you will not have the confidence and skill to use them to the best of their ability. Both of these guns will serve you well if you put in the effort.

I switched from a P3-AT to a 642 I HATED I repeat HATED the Kel-Tec not only in the guns reliability (lack of trigger reset) and the fact that it feels quite inferior compared to the feeling of the S&W.

I have the S&W 637 (with hammer) AND the P-3AT...both can give you a sore hand at the range. I usually carry a Kimber, but the the SW and the KT both serve a purpose. The KT is a real pocket gun that simply disappears in the pocket. The 'snubby' is a fine choice for a coat pocket...

I use neither as an EDC...

Has anyone suggested trying to have both? I just don't like selling my guns...store them and save for another. I have traded or sold some of my weapons previously, and I have regretted many of those sales.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

rf
    The kt is smaller and more concealable, what is important to you ?

Administrator
    Well, if you have a reliable one the big advantage of the P3AT is that it's as close as you can get to feeling like you are carrying nothing while still carrying something.
    Does that make any sense at all.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have both.

The KT is not a range gun IMHO where you can shoot hundreds of rounds every few days. It is a deep carry weapon that needs to be shoot sparingly but frequently to keep the draw to point and fire automatic and maintain your confidence in it....dry fire it too. It is the weapon I now carry most due to concealment issues.

The KT and 642 both point shoot naturally for me, esp after the grips were adjusted but they were pretty good to start.

I prefer the 642 (and wheelguns in general) .. looks and feels solid, reliable and has a little more terminal effect. Wider and a little more difficult to conceal in my situation. The black version is Old School....forget the nmber.

I really enjoy shooting the 642 the KT not as much.

Save up and get both ... hard to imagine a HG collection without a snub.

Folks with pain after shooting most of the time should grip higher and/or tighter for starters.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Has anyone suggested trying to have both? I just don't like selling my guns...store them and save for another. I have traded or sold some of my weapons previously, and I have regretted many of those sales.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    I have 3 carry guns a Kel-Tec 380 a S&W 642 and a Sig P239 40. Which one I am carring depends on how I'm dressed. Shorts or small pocket jeans, I carry the Kel-Tec. In work clothes (causal business) dress pants, with larger pockets, I carry the S&W. If I am in colder time of year, with jacket or vest, I belt carry the Sig. So more than one is fine also..... The more the merrier....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Buz
    While I like having the power of the .38+P with my J-frame, I also like having 2 more rounds of .380 in my P3AT. It's a never ending battle/debate in my head and I choose my weapon based on how I feel that particular day. Don't sell your P3AT, you'll regret it.

I've got both.

I got the Model 642 to use as an occasional jacket pocket gun and for my wife who took to it. The original Uncle Mike's rubber boot grips were immidiately removed and replaced with small checkered walnut factory Model 36 grip panels in order to make the gun more compact and less prone to "hang" in clothing. It's still quite shootable with the thin grip panels but a bit less comfortable, not so much as would be thought.

I got the KelTec P3AT for the purpose of retiring the tiny ineffective Colt Model 1908 .25 ACP. The P3AT is strictly for when I want to hide a tiny gun in a tiny place. Nothing else is quite like it for the purpose. I made mine smooth up without this "fluffing and buffing" business just to see how long it'd take. It took 550 rounds before I deemed it functionally reliable and was bit maddening for a while before it straightened up.

I utterly loathe the trigger on the P3AT but a DAO is what it is. Strangely I find very light P3AT more pleasant to shoot than any of several classic .380 blow back designs. Seems to soak up recoil better to me.

Neither the P3AT nor the S&W 642 are particularly pleasant for a long session.

If paring down the pocket models in the collection I'd definitely keep the Model 642 over the P3AT.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I would try to keep both. You can't get anything on a trade so you really only loose unless you sell it outright.

Hang on to'em both if you can.
    God Bless
    Gideon

Pick up a J frame and keep the Kel Tec. More is always better and a variety helps with different situations.

I've got both. I prefer the Airweight--A bit easier for me to shoot, and I've got more confidence in 5 .38 +p's than 7 .380's. The P3AT is easier to conceal, so they both have their place. My wife thinks the Airweight is just as unpleasant to shoot, and prefers the size of the P3AT.

I did an external fluff & buff to the P3AT--Taking sandpaper to the mold marks on the frame made it much more comfortable to shoot, although still not a range gun.

JD
    Administrator
    So I got to play with Chooie's P3 over the weekend, we took one of the pinky rests of of one of my Bersa .380 mags and slipped it on the P3 and I gotta tell you, it made a world of difference IMHO. Instead of almost jumping out of my hand, I was able to maintain a firm grip, the pinky rest settled in right between my fingers and it almost felt like it anchored the gun to my had. The P3 also had a grip sleeve on it which helped a lot.

I still wouldn't want to shoot more than 3 or 4 mags out of the thing, but if you do have one, I'd greatly recommend adding the pinky rest. IIRC you can order them though the Bersa/Eagle Arms website.

Nothing beats a revolver for general reliability, I'll be quick to agree on. But for me personally, I couldn't carry the j-frame in the same places without printing that I can carry the P3-AT. So to me its apples to oranges (or maybe apples to crabapples) simply because the J frame is just not small enough to fit easily in my pocket.

THAT SAID...head on over to a gun shop and ask to try out the j-frame in a pocket holster if possible. If concealment and carry method are not problems for you, then its just whatever your preference is. The P3-AT might be a nice secondary to keep on hand though...that's a great Everywhere-But-Courthouses-And-Other-Federal-Buildings sort of gun.
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links