Walther P-38

This is a discussion on Walther P-38 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone provide their opinions of the Walther P-38. I've run across some post-World War II models rated "excellent condition" for approximately $275....

Thread: Walther P-38

Walther P-38

Can anyone provide their opinions of the Walther P-38. I've run across some post-World War II models rated "excellent condition" for approximately $275.
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

2. Remove Ads

Excellent weapon. I have owned a bunch of them over the years. Post war and early years are really good. Late war is rough.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I had the understanding that the post-war models were made from inferior metals as compared to the pre-war.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Mo
    I bought a post-war P-1 (post-war designation for the P-38) for around $275, ended up selling it to my uncle. He ans his wife just used it to qualify for their CCW permits, if that tells you anything. Not the best option in the world but you have to shoot a semi-auto and a revolver to qualify for the CCW in MO. They're revolver folks through and through.

Condition was as-new and it looked unfired. It came with the standard worthless acessory bundle but it was pretty reliable with FMJ ammo. It did tend to crack you in the forehead with the brass though. I think it was worth it at the time and I wouldn't mind picking up another in the same condition for the same price.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a p-38 war time model which is made out of metal.This pistol was ahead of it's time.Mine has never jammed and always went bang when called on.Once the factory was over run by us in WWII the French started manufacturing the p-1 using aluminum for for the pistol frame instead of steel.
    So I say the war time P-38 are the real deal and the P-1 are a knock off that bring
    considerable less when it comes to the sales table.

I have a '43 dated Walther. It is very inconsistant in where it throws the brass (sometimes left, right, forward, back, or a combination of all four). It's not one that I'll carry, but it will never be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I had the understanding that the post-war models were made from inferior metals as compared to the pre-war.
    Pre war is all steel, post war uses a lite weight metal for frame, slide and barrel still steel. Machining and quality good for both pre and post, just not late war.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Administrator
    My personal opinion is that they are total klunks and absolutely one of the worst firearms ever designed.
    I am not wanting to start an argument either. Just my personal opinion.
    I would not pay 20 bucks for one and in fact I have given 2 of them away.
    I normally love Walther firearms but, not that one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have a 1958 model. Mine behaves well. It feeds and ejects reliably and it is very accurate. The DA trigger pull for the first shot is less than ideal, and it is a big gun for its capacity and caliber. But it should serve quite adequately as a home defense gun. I've kept mine because along with the C96, the 1911, the P35, and Luger, it is a classic semiauto. It was the first service DA and the only one until the 60's.

No, I don't carry it. Nevertheless, if it were my only gun, I could make do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My personal opinion is that they are total klunks and absolutely one of the worst firearms ever designed.
    I am not wanting to start an argument either. Just my personal opinion.
    I would not pay 20 bucks for one and in fact I have given 2 of them away.
    I normally love Walther firearms but, not that one.
    well if you ever give any more away please send some my direction!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Administrator
    I really did. My F In Law brought 1 home from War II and I was given another years ago. I gave them both away to relatives.
    They were taking up space.
    The initial trigger pull was obnoxious on both and ergonomically the gun design was terrible.
    To their credit they did work and bullets did exit out the front end so in that respect they were workable guns.
    I would never carry one for self-defense though.
    A bad guy won't care what make or model of firearm he just got shot with....so if that was all I had....I would use it but, my personal choice for a SD firearm would pretty much be anything else but, a Walther P38. They point terribly.
    The gun has some neat history so for that reason if somebody wanted to collect them - then more power to them but, I never could find anything positive to say about them as far as being worthwhile for modern defense. Everybody is different though but, you'll never find a decent IWB or OWB carry holster for one. LOL

I really did. My F In Law brought 1 home from War II and I was given another years ago. I gave them both away to relatives.
    They were taking up space.
    The initial trigger pull was obnoxious on both and ergonomically the gun design was terrible.
    To their credit they did work and bullets did exit out the front end so in that respect they were workable guns.
    I would never carry one for self-defense though.
    A bad guy won't care what make or model of firearm he just got shot with....so if that was all I had....I would use it but, my personal choice for a SD firearm would pretty much be anything else but, a Walther P38. They point terribly.
    The gun has some neat history so for that reason if somebody wanted to collect them - then more power to them but, I never could find anything positive to say about them as far as being worthwhile for modern defense. Everybody is different though but, you'll never find a decent IWB or OWB carry holster for one. LOL
    All the more reason to send them to me, tis the season
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

My personal opinion is that they are total klunks

Yeah, I sold mine decades ago and don't plan on buying another.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Administrator
    Merry Christmas!
    So - you want a free Christmas Pistol?
    Notice the snow white front and rear sights to match the grips.

Links