Derringer packin'

This is a discussion on Derringer packin' within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This started out because my g/f is a BIG fan of derringers, so I began loking for a picture I think I saw on this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derringer packin'

Derringer packin'

This started out because my g/f is a BIG fan of derringers, so I began loking for a picture I think I saw on this sight that had a case full of derringers and NAAs. Well, then I started reading about the different types of derringers and I got interested myself.

To those of you who pack these things CCW, how/where do you carry them? Also, do you carry them "cocked and locked", per se, or otherwise? What makes this gun better suited for you to be a CCW as opposed to a snub revolver? (Okay, besides aesthetics, because I totally understand that one!)

PICS ARE GREATLY WELCOMED! :-D :-D :-D

Oh yeah, and what sort of custom grips can you get for these babies?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I have a Davis derringer.I really believe you need more capacity for a ccw.I bought mine because it was cheap.They are cool looking guns,but in reality,I think they are inferior for self defense.We have so many guns available in our day and age.

Lead Moderator
    I carry a NAA Revo in a custom kydex pocket holster . This is a last ditch gun, back up to a bigger pistol most times. As it is a single action revo, I carry it hammer down (half cock safety). Anyone who carries with the hammer cocked back on one of these needs his head examined.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I carry a NAA Revo in a custom kydex pocket holster . This is a last ditch gun, back up to a bigger pistol most times. As it is a single action revo, I carry it hammer down (half cock safety). Anyone who carries with the hammer cocked back on one of these needs his head examined.
    Rock...

Are you talking about the NAA .22 LR?

If so, where did you get the kydex holster? All I can find is these cheap leather holsters that turn/tip in the pocket.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Risque007 View Post
    This started out because my g/f is a BIG fan of derringers, so I began loking for a picture I think I saw on this sight that had a case full of derringers and NAAs. Well, then I started reading about the different types of derringers and I got interested myself.

To those of you who pack these things CCW, how/where do you carry them? Also, do you carry them "cocked and locked", per se, or otherwise? What makes this gun better suited for you to be a CCW as opposed to a snub revolver? (Okay, besides aesthetics, because I totally understand that one!)

PICS ARE GREATLY WELCOMED! :-D :-D :-D

Oh yeah, and what sort of custom grips can you get for these babies?
    I have the NAA .22 LR...carry it for a BUG once in a while...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Ken,
    Yes a .22 LR . I make kydex holsters. Here are a few pics of my first NAA build. I would not add the spare ammo holder, as it didn't work on this holster. I put some rubberized material(gray) on the back for added pocket grab on the draw.
    The holster has just enough retention to it the gun does not fall out. I shaped the holster to curve with my leg slightly.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Derringers look cool, but that's where it ends. High Standard made a double action derringer years ago. I have one in .22 Magnum. And that made a little bit of sense for a BUG. But all derringers are difficult to shoot well and rather slow to manipulate. I would rather have a derringer than a switch, but I believe I'd rather have a good sling shot than a derringer.

nice lil' pocket holster Rocky. If I'd know a few weeks ago that you MFG. these, I would have paid you for one instead of a leather one from NAA.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Fashion statement or defensive gun?

I would guess that this is the type of gun you are describing as a derringer. This is the model 1 of the American Derringer Company in Texas:

Caliber: .45 Colt
    Length: 4.82 inches
    Barrel: 3 inches
    Height: 3.35 inches
    Frame width: .9 inch
    Grip width: 1.2 inches
    Weight: 15 oz.
    2-shots with automatic barrel selection

I'll admit that it is an interesting gun with some historical interest, and that it fires a significant caliber. The problem from a practical standpoint is that it has to be thumb cocked before each shot, which probably takes two hands and is slow. And it certainly has a heavy trigger and minimal sights, so that it would be very difficult to shoot with much accuracy. Finally the two shot capacity is pretty limited.

I'd hate to rely on one of these for defensive use, unless it was to intimidate an attacker into changing his mind. For actually shooting from a 15 ounce gun, I'd rather have a S&W airweight .38 snubby.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

[QUOTE= What makes this gun better suited for you to be a CCW as opposed to a snub revolver? (Okay, besides aesthetics, because I totally understand that one!)

QUOTE]

I have an American Derringer in .38spl. Someone gave it to me a long time ago. It's really nothing more than a conversation piece as far as I'm concerned though. Inaccurate, slow to get into action, limited capacity, etc...... Way too many better cc alternatives IMHO.

DA only

I carry a double action only derringer that took me along time to find. I tried the single action ones and I found it was way too hard to pull the hammer back and try to fire under pressure. I also have a NAA mini-mag that is much easier to cock and fire but not the best caliber in the world. The DA derringer to me, is safer to carry and easier to fire one handed.

I have a NAA .22mag that has a hogue case that folds down to make an enlarged grip.(check their website) I carry this as a BUG or when I can carry nothing else. It has a knife-style clip to carry it in the pocket.

Story - Derringer saves truckers life

I knew a trucker that told me a story about how he fended off three attackers with an over/under American Derringer chambered for .357 Magnum.

The story goes ...

He returns to his tractor / trailer after a meal at a greasy spoon. Trucks are parked everywhere so it's like walking through a canyon as he approaches his rig.

As he comes up to about the middle of his trailer, walking toward the cab, two guys step out in front of his rig. At the same time, one guy steps out at the back of the trailer. He is now 'blocked in' by three perps where nobody else can see what is happening. All three are holding tire irons and they begin walking toward the trucker.

The leader perp says "Driver - give us your wallet and open your load." Apparently they wanted him to voluntarily allow them to beat the [deleted] out of him with the irons, rob him and his load, and move on.

He pulls out his .357 American derringer out of his pants pocket. The leader perp scoffs and says "you only got two shots and there are three of us". He responds: "Well, the lucky one will be the guy who gets shot in the chest. The other two of you will be deaf for the rest of your lives". Supposedly at that point there was a bit of standing there and cursing but all three perps walked away. He got in his rig and drove off.

I don't know if the story is true or not, but I've never known that man to be a liar. Interesting story.

I just ordered the holster below for my NAA 22LR. Right now it rides in my left front pocket. Since I carry my G27 tucked in an MTAC 99.9% of the time, I don't consider the NAA (or my P3AT when it's in my pocket) a BUG. They are more along the lines of a quick initial strike if I don't have time to get to the Glock.

Last edited by LMarshall73; December 17th, 2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Forgot Pic...

I work in the oilfield and need to carry a gun that is easy to conceal. I carry the below .44 mag derringer in the back pocket of a pair of regular Wrangler jeans. Usually just put a folded up bandana between it and my back pocket to help hold it in place and mask the outline. The gun throws a 240 grain JSP bullet at 1100 FPS. It definitely is the most powerful gun I can pocket carry. Accurate enough out to 15 yards. Recoil is invigorating, but in the event that I use it on someone, I know for a fact I won't even notice. I have put hundreds of rounds through it without any trouble. Gun is beautifully built and solid as a vault.

NQ
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links