Defensive Carry banner

kahr pm9?

10K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  agksimon 
#1 ·
Does anyone own one?if so how do you like it?is there much recoil?I have been doing research on small light 9mm pistols.I have a keltec p11 now,but it has a horrible trigger pull on it and I'm looking for something better.thanks. sj

#2 ·
I think the majority of "small 9mm guys" on here own one. LOL From what I gather they are really very favored.

#4 ·
My wife has one and really loves it, and I have one and really lov lov lov--- like it. They have been 100% reliable. As for recoil, we found that 147 gr. Win. Ranger T have the least felt recoil, and the 147 gr. Fed. HST is a close second. Both of these rounds show impressive penetration and expansion out of a 3" PM9 barrel. The 124 gr. ammo has more felt recoil. Check this out

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37238

In the beginning we found ourselves shooting them low and to the left. Other people were complaining about the same thing. What worked for us is to press against left forward edge, instead of against the full front face of the trigger to stop the shooting to the left. To stop the shooting low, we press straight back instead of allowing the arc of the trigger travel to pull our finger down, and we make sure we don't squeeze the unsupported pinky / heel of the hand.
John

#5 ·
jgrider,

Nice thread on the PM9 ammo. I've got a PM9 w/DLC slide on order that I'm picking up Tuesday. I was going to start out with the Federal HST 124g +P but now I'm having second thoughts after reading your thread. So you feel +P may not be needed or even desired for the PM9? What do you recommend for just range shooting? Also, what carry options in terms of holsters are you using?

Thanks for the work in your thread and any input.

#7 ·
I've had mine since they came out, its on my never sell list. I carries better than anything else I've come across, its just to easy. Shooting it is not bad, but its no shooting rookie's gun. Recoil is not bad at all, its just a small gun that needs experianced hands to make the most of.
I say get it, I'm sure you will like it.

#9 ·
Wasabi asked
"So you feel +P may not be needed or even desired for the PM9?"

Hi Wasabi
These are my thoughts on +P ammo

The 115 gr has to be pushed at +P velocities for adequate penetration and expansion because of it's light weight, and even then it could be easily deflected.And the recoil pulse is too sharp from a polymer frame pistol.

The 124 gr would benefit from +P velocities during the winter months in heavy clothing areas. Again the felt recoil is sharp. But for the summer or mild climate areas, a good 124 gr. standard pressure round would work for me.

The 147 gr. has shown me, in most cases, the best penetration with great expansion for civilian application. All this from bullets traveling under 1000 fps. And it has a slow drawn out recoil pulse for the least felt recoil for controlled follow up shots.

For my wife, who practices drawing and firing, the 147 Win. allows her to do double and triple taps into a 9" paper plate attached to an IPSC target at 10 yards. With the 147gr out of the PM9, her split times between shots after the first shot are .29 seconds. With the 124 HST standard pressure, her splits open up to around .35 seconds because of the added recovery time.This is with all hits in the plate. When we tried +P ammo her splits more than doubled from .29 seconds while trying to find the front sight. She also practices one handed, point, and hip shooting. The +P's are uncontrollable for her, first shot into the thoracic area then climbing, and the pistol slipping in her grasp.

"What do you recommend for just range shooting?"

For practice we use my reloads with my cast 124 gr.flat nose or 150 gr. .357" swc sized down to .356" bullets. I know that a lot of people think that you shouldn't use cast bullets in a polygonal barrel because of excessive leading ( the kaboom theory). But we've always used them. What we do is load a jacketed bullet as the last round in every practice magazine. This helps clear most of the leading.

"Also, what carry options in terms of holsters are you using?"

Check out near the bottom of page 2 for the pic and description of the holster I use.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37585

You probably noticed that in most of my posts, I include my wife's performance. I purposely do that because she is the one I need to accommodate, and so what works for her, easily works for me.
John

#12 ·
Speaking of this, I've been carrying my PM9 since 8am this morning in the waist band of a pair of jogging pants. Its in a cheap IWB Galco. Even though I'm in for the night, I havent bothered to take it off because I dont even notice it there- thats the best compliment for a carry gun I can give.

#14 ·
just got mine- DLC PM9. I had been carrying a KelTec P3AT for months, and had gotten spoiled to its size/weight, so I was concerned that I might be slightly disappointed wearing it. Not so. Here are the results of my first day with the gun:

Concealment and comfort:
I actually forgot i had it on throughout the day. In fact, somehow it rode better than the KT did (in a belly band positioned like a 2:30 holster), and I didn't have the typical raw spot from the barrel digging into my leg from stooping down, etc. during the day. This was a true test of the guns comfort and concealability, as I had to wear it in a very un-gun-friendly environment 9-5, where my job requires a lot of bending, stooping, stretching overhead, and personal contact as we work together to handle animals, holding wiggly pets against my body where they could contact or maybe expose the gun; then going to a client's home (this time without the benefit of a lab coat cover) to work on an animal where she had collapsed on the porch (more bending, kneeling, awkward positions), and getting soaked by rain in the process (wet clothing doesn't conceal as well as dry clothing). I never once exposed the gun, though my cover garment- a wrap around sweater- was only long enough to cover the width of my belt. I never felt like it printed, either, and certainly no one noticed that I could tell.

At the range:
As far as shooting goes, it is very, very nice. I shot this gun better than I've ever shot any handgun. I'm no marksman, but I was able to put a hole in the loop of the 9 on the target (was aiming there, after making a mess out of the center). Recoil was minimal, really not much worse than my dad's .22 as I remember it. The plastic grip did leave a few sore spots on my hand after 100 rounds in a row, but that is to be expected. I may look for something like a hogue handall grip or something to make the break-in process gentler on the skin.

I put a box of the Winchester 9mm Luger value pack from Walmart (100 rounds, FMJ) through the gun without a single failure of any type. I can't say that for any other gun I've ever shot (including Glocks, H&K, Makarov, Sigs, KelTecs, Springfield XD, S&W, Charter Arms, NAA, and who knows what all I've rented on Lady's night at the range over the years).

Summary:
In one range trip, and one day of wearing it, the Kahr PM9 has instantly become my favorite gun in all aspects- concealability, comfort when concealed, accuracy, ease of shooting. Does that help?:hand36:

#15 ·
I have a DLC with nightsights , and replacing sights as the tubes age is all the changes i see for it . Its paid for and fairly cheap to feed so ill keep it lol .

#18 ·
DLC is basicly a finish that bonds to the metal thro a propriatory process . It is chemicaly and application wise real similar to glocks " tennifer " finish and is dammed near indestructible . I will note tho that if you degrease it you come up with a different color usualy an ugly grey . Its the microscopic bubbles traping oil that gives it its color and texture . Degreasing it wont hurt the function of it any but will make a gun ugly fast , and it isnt easy to get a nice even finish back on the gun afterwards .

#20 ·
Has anyone had any trouble with the slide not getting back into full battery during regular range shooting.
Me, today at the range. First 250rds. I found when I loaded a mag, then chambered a round and then dropped the mag to top it off, the first round would fire but then the next round failed to feed. I pulled the mag after chambering a round to see how the gun positioned the next round to be fed. It does appear it gets positioned slightly forward in the magazine. I played around with that a little while but ran out of WWB ammo before I could satisfy my curiosity. It will be fun finding the ammo this pocket rocket likes...

#23 ·
I have a PM9 and for what it is I love it.

I usually carry a revolver off duty and as a BUG, but some times I feel I need to carry a Pocket Pistol instead of a Pocket Revolver and this one, and only this one gets the nod.

The PM9 has the best trigger I've ever felt, except for another Kahr, in a DAO Autoloader. Follow the Kahr "Break-In" procedures and you will do OK. If not, Kahr is really good about handling warranty issues. At least they have been with me.

I think they have all the "bugs" worked out on the PM9 and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Biker :urla9ub:

#25 ·
Not much. You can get a wrap that's called Agrip. It doesn't really change the grip at all other than to add a grippy, yet fairly soft material the whole way around. It's not the prettiest, but it really doesn't make holding onto the small gun much easier, particularly on warmer days if you are sweating a little.

You can get it from Kahr's online store and probably directly from the manufacturer.

Here's a picture of my PM9 with the Agrip tape on in one of the IWB holsters I have for it.

#26 ·
Like most here, I too have a PM9. It has had some issues. Mainly FTF; however, after Kahr sent me a new spring. I've experienced no further issues. The firearm has roughly 300+ rounds on the new spring. Interesting is that I too shoot this thing low and left. Very comfortable to carry albeit pocket or ankle. Awaiting a good IWB from a holster manufacturer. It is a more difficult gun to shoot than say my XD 45. I can only get two fingers on the gun. But, it is easy to carry and thus I do. The XD is too big for many carry applications for me. Good luck.

#29 ·
Dang, no CT grips coming to the PM9? They would be a cool addition. Wonder why they're skipping the PM9(for now at least)? Seems like a popular CCW choice and I'm sure they would sell a bunch of them. Is the PM9 built in a way that makes it difficult or maybe not even possible to add grips? I pick mine up tomorrow so I can't tell up close yet but from the pictures the PM9 looks to have the grips actually an integrated part of the frame as opposed to the MK's screwed on grips.

#30 ·
I am curious. I have a brand new PM9. Took it to the range the other night with a goal of breaking it in. At least 200 rounds 300 better.

Anyway I have pretty large hands. I found with my normal trigger finger position on the trigger. "on the pad of the finger" The outside of my trigger finger knuckle rubbed on the bottom of the trigger guard on recoil to the point it blistered and now has a scab on it. Noticed blister at about 100 rounds.

I would pretty much have to knuckled the trigger to keep it from happening. So anyone else have that problem?

Obviously this is not going to be a range gun so I am not too worried. When I practice I can throw some tape on my knuckle. But just curious.

BTW I had no malfunctions. I think it is a winner!

#31 ·
Took it to the range the other night with a goal of breaking it in. At least 200 rounds 300 better.

BTW I had no malfunctions. I think it is a winner!
Glad to hear about no malfunctions, that is promising... BTW, it was too skeered to misbehave, you must have been strangling it! I'm wondering if you might be able to try smoothing out the inside of the trigger guard? I would think you could use some fine emory cloth followed up by some very fine wet sandpaper you could take the rough edges off that are causing you trouble. Do you think if you make it smooth like glass, it might not treat you so poorly next time you send 300rds downrange?

#32 ·
I bought one for my wife, its perfect!! The size, weight & accuracy is excellant. They have very smooth triggers & believe it or not dont jump around in your hand at all. We actually found the flush mount mag is easier to control & shoot with than the extended version that comes with the gun. Go for it youll be glad u did :yup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.