kahr pm9?

This is a discussion on kahr pm9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone own one?if so how do you like it?is there much recoil?I have been doing research on small light 9mm pistols.I have a keltec ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: kahr pm9?

kahr pm9?

Does anyone own one?if so how do you like it?is there much recoil?I have been doing research on small light 9mm pistols.I have a keltec p11 now,but it has a horrible trigger pull on it and I'm looking for something better.thanks. sj

2. Remove Ads

I think the majority of "small 9mm guys" on here own one. LOL From what I gather they are really very favored.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have one. Get one, you will be glad you did.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

My wife has one and really loves it, and I have one and really lov lov lov--- like it. They have been 100% reliable. As for recoil, we found that 147 gr. Win. Ranger T have the least felt recoil, and the 147 gr. Fed. HST is a close second. Both of these rounds show impressive penetration and expansion out of a 3" PM9 barrel. The 124 gr. ammo has more felt recoil. Check this out

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=37238

In the beginning we found ourselves shooting them low and to the left. Other people were complaining about the same thing. What worked for us is to press against left forward edge, instead of against the full front face of the trigger to stop the shooting to the left. To stop the shooting low, we press straight back instead of allowing the arc of the trigger travel to pull our finger down, and we make sure we don't squeeze the unsupported pinky / heel of the hand.
    John

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    jgrider,

Nice thread on the PM9 ammo. I've got a PM9 w/DLC slide on order that I'm picking up Tuesday. I was going to start out with the Federal HST 124g +P but now I'm having second thoughts after reading your thread. So you feel +P may not be needed or even desired for the PM9? What do you recommend for just range shooting? Also, what carry options in terms of holsters are you using?

Thanks for the work in your thread and any input.

Love mine. It's my always carry weapon. Yeah it has some recoil as any light gun with much over a .22 caliber will but it's not that bad.

Administrator
    I've had mine since they came out, its on my never sell list. I carries better than anything else I've come across, its just to easy. Shooting it is not bad, but its no shooting rookie's gun. Recoil is not bad at all, its just a small gun that needs experianced hands to make the most of.
    I say get it, I'm sure you will like it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have one and love it. I sold my Keltec P11 to buy it. Before I got it, I thought that there was no way they could be worth the money, but after owning one, I can say well worth it.

Wasabi asked
    "So you feel +P may not be needed or even desired for the PM9?"

Hi Wasabi
    These are my thoughts on +P ammo

The 115 gr has to be pushed at +P velocities for adequate penetration and expansion because of it's light weight, and even then it could be easily deflected.And the recoil pulse is too sharp from a polymer frame pistol.

The 124 gr would benefit from +P velocities during the winter months in heavy clothing areas. Again the felt recoil is sharp. But for the summer or mild climate areas, a good 124 gr. standard pressure round would work for me.

The 147 gr. has shown me, in most cases, the best penetration with great expansion for civilian application. All this from bullets traveling under 1000 fps. And it has a slow drawn out recoil pulse for the least felt recoil for controlled follow up shots.

For my wife, who practices drawing and firing, the 147 Win. allows her to do double and triple taps into a 9" paper plate attached to an IPSC target at 10 yards. With the 147gr out of the PM9, her split times between shots after the first shot are .29 seconds. With the 124 HST standard pressure, her splits open up to around .35 seconds because of the added recovery time.This is with all hits in the plate. When we tried +P ammo her splits more than doubled from .29 seconds while trying to find the front sight. She also practices one handed, point, and hip shooting. The +P's are uncontrollable for her, first shot into the thoracic area then climbing, and the pistol slipping in her grasp.

"What do you recommend for just range shooting?"

For practice we use my reloads with my cast 124 gr.flat nose or 150 gr. .357" swc sized down to .356" bullets. I know that a lot of people think that you shouldn't use cast bullets in a polygonal barrel because of excessive leading ( the kaboom theory). But we've always used them. What we do is load a jacketed bullet as the last round in every practice magazine. This helps clear most of the leading.

"Also, what carry options in terms of holsters are you using?"

Check out near the bottom of page 2 for the pic and description of the holster I use.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=37585

You probably noticed that in most of my posts, I include my wife's performance. I purposely do that because she is the one I need to accommodate, and so what works for her, easily works for me.
    John

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Get the PM9 if it's for Pocket, if you want something really small for IWB, consider the MK9. You can still carry the MK9 in good sized pockets in heavy clothing but they're too heavy for lighter cloths.

God Bless
    Gideon

I was just carrying mine today while running errands and finishing the Christmas decorations outside.

It has been flawless at the range.
    Last edited by American Pit Bull; December 15th, 2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Get the PM9 if it's for Pocket, if you want something really small for IWB, consider the MK9. You can still carry the MK9 in good sized pockets in heavy clothing but they're too heavy for lighter cloths.

God Bless
    Gideon
    Speaking of this, I've been carrying my PM9 since 8am this morning in the waist band of a pair of jogging pants. Its in a cheap IWB Galco. Even though I'm in for the night, I havent bothered to take it off because I dont even notice it there- thats the best compliment for a carry gun I can give.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My PM9 is with most of the time...so many options, Kangaroo Carry, pocket carry, small fanny pak, 5.11 holster shirt, small IWB holster..etc...

just got mine- DLC PM9. I had been carrying a KelTec P3AT for months, and had gotten spoiled to its size/weight, so I was concerned that I might be slightly disappointed wearing it. Not so. Here are the results of my first day with the gun:

Concealment and comfort:
    I actually forgot i had it on throughout the day. In fact, somehow it rode better than the KT did (in a belly band positioned like a 2:30 holster), and I didn't have the typical raw spot from the barrel digging into my leg from stooping down, etc. during the day. This was a true test of the guns comfort and concealability, as I had to wear it in a very un-gun-friendly environment 9-5, where my job requires a lot of bending, stooping, stretching overhead, and personal contact as we work together to handle animals, holding wiggly pets against my body where they could contact or maybe expose the gun; then going to a client's home (this time without the benefit of a lab coat cover) to work on an animal where she had collapsed on the porch (more bending, kneeling, awkward positions), and getting soaked by rain in the process (wet clothing doesn't conceal as well as dry clothing). I never once exposed the gun, though my cover garment- a wrap around sweater- was only long enough to cover the width of my belt. I never felt like it printed, either, and certainly no one noticed that I could tell.

At the range:
    As far as shooting goes, it is very, very nice. I shot this gun better than I've ever shot any handgun. I'm no marksman, but I was able to put a hole in the loop of the 9 on the target (was aiming there, after making a mess out of the center). Recoil was minimal, really not much worse than my dad's .22 as I remember it. The plastic grip did leave a few sore spots on my hand after 100 rounds in a row, but that is to be expected. I may look for something like a hogue handall grip or something to make the break-in process gentler on the skin.

I put a box of the Winchester 9mm Luger value pack from Walmart (100 rounds, FMJ) through the gun without a single failure of any type. I can't say that for any other gun I've ever shot (including Glocks, H&K, Makarov, Sigs, KelTecs, Springfield XD, S&W, Charter Arms, NAA, and who knows what all I've rented on Lady's night at the range over the years).

Summary:
    In one range trip, and one day of wearing it, the Kahr PM9 has instantly become my favorite gun in all aspects- concealability, comfort when concealed, accuracy, ease of shooting. Does that help?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a DLC with nightsights , and replacing sights as the tubes age is all the changes i see for it . Its paid for and fairly cheap to feed so ill keep it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links