New Ruger SR9 Review...

This is a discussion on New Ruger SR9 Review... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger SR9 Official Website with specs Well... I put 150 rounds through the Ruger SR9 this evening. Wow! What a fun gun. It was more ...

Thread: New Ruger SR9 Review...

New Ruger SR9 Review...

Ruger SR9 Official Website with specs

Well... I put 150 rounds through the Ruger SR9 this evening. Wow! What a fun gun. It was more accurate than the shooter was. My first few shots missed the mark completely. Quickly though I got considerably better till I was hitting my bullseye completely from 15' away. I even pushed it out to 20' and was still hitting the mark. Then I picked up the pace and was rapid firing and still stacking the hits one on top of the other.

PROS: Nice weight and grip. Good sights. Ambidextrous magazine and saftey release.

CONS: Bring a friend with you to help load the magazine. Jesus... it took me forever to get that thing loosened up to put 17 rounds in it. I had to use both my right hand on the included speed loader, and my left hand to push the front of the bullet down. Hollow points seemed to load much easier though... weird.

I bought a Galco Quick Slide Belt holster (there aren't any holsters out yet specifically for this gun yet, but it will fit any Glock 17-21 holster) and wore it out to the mall this evening with the wife. She never noticed, she hates it when I carry so I've just decided to not tell her. Win Win situation if you ask me. This gun seemed a little long to carry with the style jacket I was wearing, but I looked in all the mirrors in the mall and couldn't make out the shape or the barrel poking out from the bottom of the jacket. I either need a slightly longer jacket or a slightly smaller gun.

Very enjoyable experience overall... and a very nice gun. When I left my post at the range you could almost make out my foot prints there were so many spent 9mm shells... lol.

The addiction is getting worse...
    Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Article 1, Section 21:
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Nice, I was waiting for somebody to post a review about this gun, thanks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Most interesting - I have been aware of its existence but not delved at all into its details. I see some familiar features and some very different.

It appears to be DAO judging by hammer - how did you find the trigger? Seems you got on with it very well. One thing I expect being Ruger - it should be tough.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by uflnuceng View Post
    PROS: Nice weight and grip. Good sights. Ambidextrous magazine and saftey release.
    How is the safety, to use? Seems tiny to me. Did you try engaging the safety, quickly, as part of the draw? I'm curious...

Did you like the trigger pull at all?
    I also enjoyed reading that report, not too many opinions yet from those who've actually bought the SR9

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    It appears to be DAO judging by hammer - how did you find the trigger? Seems you got on with it very well.
    I bet he found the trigger rather easy, Ruger doesnt hide them and puts them in standard places.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I didn't play with the safety while drawing during my practice, but I did later on in the evening in my home. I'm not comfortable with guns yet to have a bullet in the chamber, so I practiced drawing from the hip, pushing down the safety (as I drawed it from the holster) and half way up to bringing it on target I would cock it with an empty clip so it would just stay open (don't wanna accidentally shoot my 46" flat screen).

For me, the safety works well. I read on some other forums that they didn't like how small it was, its actually smaller than the safety on my Bersa 380, but it sticks out just right so that its easy to catch with the underside of the knuckle from my thumb. The wife left my camera at her office so I can't take pictures/video, but I'll see if I can take some with my cell phone.

Trigger felt good to me. Don't have much experience with different guns or the lingo used to describe it, but in single-action at the end of my practice with it, I was punching a hole almost 2.5" in diameter dead center in my target fifteen feet away in rapid fire. Everything about this gun just felt very smooth.
    Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Article 1, Section 21:
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I bet he found the trigger rather easy, Ruger doesnt hide them and puts them in standard places.
    Yeah right -
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nice!!!!!!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Links