S&W 37-2 398.99?? and a S&W 66

This is a discussion on S&W 37-2 398.99?? and a S&W 66 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO my local shop has a used 37-2 snubbie for 398.99. It looks unused, so real play in the cly, less than my 66-7. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 37-2 398.99?? and a S&W 66

S&W 37-2 398.99?? and a S&W 66

SO my local shop has a used 37-2 snubbie for 398.99.

It looks unused, so real play in the cly, less than my 66-7. It has no lead build up not really dirty or skuffed up from holsters. it has the black finish like on a 442. Bobbed hammer.

it is a pre-lock but it only says 38spl and the shop guy said it is not +p rated

Is that price high?

They also had a 2 inch or 3 inch S&W 66 prelock, that looked "used" it needs a good cleaning but I cannot remember the price. What would be a good price range for this?

Thanks
    -James

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - ''Chief's Special Airweight" .. dash 2 ........ 1990 thru 1997 it seems. 38 Spl yep.

Even if good shape - if technically a used one as against NIB that sounds high - to me. So - JMHO - no more ... I think I'd want to see price down nearer #300 area ... I'd bid $325 if a nice specimen.

Others may well disagree.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95,

That was a speedy respone, I thank you for that. This is the info that I am looking for. I liked the way if felt, but don't want my pocket to hurt from over paying. I have bought from the shop before but just paid what the gun was marked. They were the cheapest from shopping around. I plan to go back on Monday and see if they might talk price.

Are these a rare/sought after pistol? Since it is not +P rated are their good loads to choose from? I want to know what I may get myself into with this gun..etc.. Chances are my g/f will carry it, but I can see myself using it when the my other gun does not fit the "dress" or "event"

anyone else let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    -James

Assistant Administrator
    Just corrected my typo - .30 spl - LOL - new caliber! .38 spl is what I meant of course!

Personally and again JMO - not a fiercely sought after snub ........ so should be a chance of dealing a bit. I used to use in my old M85 Taurus some Corbon 110 rounds but admit they were a shade hot.

I practiced with regular .38 spl homeloads but work on the premise that if a carry piece needs used, it will not probably ''complain'' over 5 rounds of slightly hotter stuff!

Anyways - hope for more input - mine alone is not enough at all.
    Chris - P95

1943 - 2009
    The Model 37-2 with bobbed hammer and no internal lock was produced in 2005. It was an over-run from a large order made for the Japanese police in 2002.

Your price is probably pretty close to MSRP. I'd buy it in a New York minute!

It is not +P rated.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

On the 66, I traded in my 2.5" 66-5 (pre-lock) for a 1911 a year or so back. It was pretty much babied and had about 300 rounds through it. The shop gave me $350 toward the 1911 and I feel I got a good deal. They likely priced it for resale at $425 to $450 to make a profit. I wouldn't run a steady diet of hot magnums through it but it's a great gun to practice with .38spl (or +P) and carry mag loads. It's a bit heavy being all steel but it carries six rounds and has a full length ejector rod so the empties pop right out when it's time for a reload. Makes a decent cold weather carry gun and an even better fishing and hiking gun for snakes, wild dogs, etc.
    Jack

VIP Member
    That is still a nice little snubby...maybe try a little dealing with your shop?

i was wrong, i wrote down the price. it is 389.99 not 398.00.

All of the guns either have a Used or new tag. This 37-2 has a used tag on it.

So if the price tag is about right for a new 37-2 when they were sold on 2005, I am thinking I might make an offer since this one is listed as used.

I do not want to insult the shop by an unfair low price offer.

Would offering 340.00 be a fair offer?

Assistant Administrator
    Would offering 340.00 be a fair offer?
    I'd certainly try - basing your offer on assessed old MSRP. My original $325 is a figure I'd like even more. May depend of course what the dealer has into it from when he took it in - so he may not in all faith have as much leaway as you might like.

Can but try.
    Chris - P95

The price of prelock S&W's have really gone up recently. I would have no problem paying the asking price. It all depends on your area but prelock S&W's dont last long in my area. I just paid $425 for a mint in box prelock 642-1 (+p rated)and I was happy paying that price. Look at the price of new interal lock S&W's. I think $389 is a fine price if it is totally mint with box and all paperwork if you ask me.

If that model 66 was a 3" barrel, and you are not interested in it, please PM me the shops contact info. Those are rare, and IMHO, the ULTIMATE CCW revolver. I have a 66-4 3", and would love to acquire another. Thanks. Regards 18DAI.

I am out of town right now, but should be back in town and I can sneak to the shop on Thursday. I can see if the model 66 is still on the shelf and I can get the details. If you want to PM me with your details I could call you from the shop.. and if its something you want I can set you up with the owner to get a transfer started.

for some reason i think they had two model 66's.....I might be wrong.

It was a quick stop for me, I had the g/f with me and I was picking up a gift for my brother.

I think I might start carrying a notepad to take notes on used guns so I can have a better reference..etc..

If I can make them a sale I might be able to get a good deal myself.

I found a business card for them in my wallet.

the name of the shop is Roby's bullseye outdoors.

phone: 765.459.0077
    fax. 765.459.0123

I have delt with them on two transactions.

the first was a transfer. They were really cool and only charges me 20.00 to complete it.

The second was a new purchase, they sold me my Ruger MKIII hunter. It only took 3 trys for me to get one from them, they kept selling before I could get to the shop. the owner even offered to hold it without a deposit.

they also give me free range time on occiasion.

I have to say they are a great shop.

Thanks very much! I'll contact them at lunch today. Regards 18DAI.

Can someone explain the difference between the 37-2 and the 637? Is it just the internal lock and the bobbed hammer? I have a 638 which has a bobbed hammer and internal lock I purchased NIB for $375

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links