Which to install on Sig 229 for home defense--Sig nite sights or light???

This is a discussion on Which to install on Sig 229 for home defense--Sig nite sights or light??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In aprox. two weeks I will be buying a Sig 229 in 40 caliber for protecting my family! My question is whether to in stall ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In aprox. two weeks I will be buying a Sig 229 in 40 caliber for protecting my family! My question is whether to in stall just Sig nite sights or mount a light on the gun? The store where I am buying the gun advises me to just get Sig nite sights because if you mount a light on your gun you would give your postion away to a intruder that broke into your home because most likey they are carrying a light!

Then you have the other school of thought which believes that you should have a light on your gun because you want to be able to see your target and will not make the mistake of shooting someone in your own family!

Here is what I see as a possible option-

Mount a light--because at an unholy hour of say 2a.m. and you only have on little nite lights you want to see this intruder and possibility the intruder just seeing the light will leave your home!

Any intruder is much more awake then you are because they most likely have been planning this breakin to your home - if I can't see what Im shooting at and I am threated by lethal force then why have a gun?

Any shooters thoughts on what you like on your gun?

Thank-You !

Senior Moderator
    Both

Allows you the flexibility to either light the target (with the attendant risk of compromising your position) or engage without lighting if the threat has been identified some other way (such as a verbal indication by the subject).

Plus, if you every carry the 229, it might not be able to carry the light conveniently.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I would put both as well as a Crimson Trace Lazer girp. I have all of my Home defence guns set up that way......

Hey by the way this is my first post on a very cool site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely get the night sites.........they'll always be on the gun. Assuming the 229 you're getting is railed, it allows you the flexibility to add/remove a light or laser if you so choose. Both are good for home defense, and there are some excellent choices available.

Currently, my 229 has night sights, but I do not use a rail mounted light/laser. I prefer using a Surefire E2E in my weak hand in either the "Harry's technique" (sp) or off to the side. Just my preference for the time being.

p.s. I truly hope you fall in love with your new 229 as I have with mine........sometimes I think my wife actually gets a bit jealous!

Here's my take on this. I believe that in a HD situation target ID is paramount so I'd have a light either hand held or mounted. There are numerous tragic stories concerning misidentified intruders. Night sights are great and I have them on my CCW and HD guns, but they are no help with the target ID aspect.

I've taken some low-light classes for both handguns and long-guns, we also shoot low-light stages at our matches. Using a handheld light takes some initial training and practice to remain good with it. A mounted light is much easier to hit with.

As for the lights giving away your position argument. Take some training and decide for yourself. Just because the light is available, doesn't mean you have to use it. There are strobe and movement techniques that make a tactical light (greater or equal to 65 lumens) a force multiplier.

Like everything else, you'll have to do your own risk/threat assessment. In my area a low-light class by a certified police instructor is pretty reasonable and some of the best training I've taken. My HD guns wear lights, my CCW rig consists of a combination mag and light holder.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    I would put both as well as a Crimson Trace Lazer girp. I have all of my Home defence guns set up that way......

Hey by the way this is my first post on a very cool site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Personally, I would buy both. If it's a matter of money I would buy the night sights first. Better to know where your sights are pointing at first, and most times you will be able to see in your house.

Next buy the light and only use that when could not see in the house. I would not want to let the bad guys know where I was.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Administrator
    Buy the light first... there is something to be said about not having to find both your light and gun in the middle of the night when the shtf. Night sights or a goofy laser will do you no good at all in total darkness or help you ID your target.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Buy the gun with the sights on it from the box. That is how mine came.
    Then, of course, get the light. As per Sixto's note above, you will need it anyway.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Please do keep in mind that night sights cut both ways! Your adversary sees them if he is within 180 degrees of the rear of the pistol. If you are holding the pistol, and he is behind you, those sights guide him right to you. If you are still sleeping, and the gun is on the nightstand, the night sights guide him right to your weapon, while you sleep. As for a light giving away your position, that is true enough, but when a flashlight comes on within a typical room, reflected light illuminates everything, anyway. That is when the blinding effect of a light in the eyes comes into its own, whether it is attached to a weapon or not. My personal take on this is that a light mounted on the weapon is OK, but is no substitute for a powerful handheld light, and that tritium is a very mixed blessing. I am no expert, but have worked night shift big-city police patrol for over two decades. I have two SIG P229s, one with night sights, and one without. I also use a 4" .357 sixgun, which has no tritium. When moving in total darkness, hunting for bad guys, I generally prefer no tritium on the weapon in my hands. Tritium is OK when your back is to a wall, or to a secured area. Tritium is also helpful in dim light, when everybody can see everybody, and the tritium acts as a aid in aligning the sights. Make informed choices, and be careful!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    The light, no hesitation in that answer. After almost 21 years in law enforcement and more than half on tactical teams, I have never had an incident where night sights prevented a bad shooting from happening, but a weapon mounted light has prevented many.

Besides, at close ranges, with a good weapon light, where the light shines the bullets will strike, try it for ya'al who dont believe.

Now I agree that both is best, but if your going to choose between one or the other, than its a weapons light hands down.

I have to disagree with Rexster on the night sights. There are many things that will illuminate you in the dark, having spent most of my career in the dark (I love nights) and I have yet to identify someone because of the sights on their weapon. Have spoted their skin, their watches, even their belt buckles, but not once have I spoted a set of tritium sights.

Oh for what its worth .... my "house" gun is a Glock 19 with a light mounted and it still dosent have night sights on it.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

+1 Another vote for the light. Night sights are good too though...

Austin

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Night sights are handy but it is more important to identify your target than aim with surgical precision. I find the "muzzle direction" argument a moot point since you keep your finger off the trigger until you have identified your target and perceived an otherwise unavoidable threat. Besides, most low light techniques still point the firearm towards the threat anyhow. Another point I haven't seen on here yet is that it 's not tactically sound to search out your would-be attacker, but instead to remain where you are and encourage them to leave. I would opt for both night sights and a good tactical light, mounted or hand held (or both).
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Tritium nite sights are a definite must on a defensive sirearm. Get a good bedstand light such as a SureFire G2 or 6P as an accessory to your handgun. Learn flashlight techniques and practice lowlight encounters. Check out the Chapman, Harries or Ayoob techniques.

I want my flashlight loose so I can maneuver it. Others may prefer different.

I prefer night sights and a seperate Surefire in my hand to ID the target.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links