Kahr or Springfield??

This is a discussion on Kahr or Springfield?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend is going to get her first carry gun. She has it narrowed down to the Kahr CW9, PM9 or the Springfield EMP. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr or Springfield??

Kahr or Springfield??

My girlfriend is going to get her first carry gun. She has it narrowed down to the Kahr CW9, PM9 or the Springfield EMP. I know that these are two different style guns, but she likes both very much. She will not be able to rent the EMP and hasn't shot the Kahr yet so she is having a tough time deciding. I like the EMP for her because of SA 1911. She can handle the DA of Kahr (she has shot Glocks).
    What do you guys think? She will be carrying on the hip and sometimes in a pocket book. She is leaning slightly towards the Kahr CW. Is this one reliable. I thought I read the PM series is best for Kahr? Any advice?
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy to carry...

2. Remove Ads

Kahr

I have a P9 which is the same gun as the cw9 minus some minor changes, and I really like it once I got it broken in. The cw9 is way less dollors than the emp. Save the money and buy ammo and practice

I have both and am selling the EMP. The EMP is one of the greatest handling shooters of all time, but I just can't get past the internal lock. I overlooked that when I bought the gun because it felt so perfect, but I've been overcome by principle. The EMP also shoots remarkably well. I don't like ambi safeties and Springfield is able to easily change that to a single-sided, but they can't do anything about the internal lock.
    On the other hand, the Kahr PM9 is no slouch and carries very well in a good front pocket holster. It would also fit very well in a purse or IWB.
    I think these guns are as small as you can go while maintaining confident shootability.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a Kahr P9 ( the higher end cw ) and a pm9 . I have shot one emp for about a mag , and i will keep my kahr(s) . Both Kahrs shoot well but i find myself carrying the p more than the pm . It is just a bit bigger and handles better for me . If gunsize is not " supercritical " due to her carry method i feel she would be happier with the cw than the pm overall . If she demands night sights well that is a problem with the cw series , but about the only major problem i can see with them .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

i guess ill chime in- EMP all the way.
    i know plenty of ppl w/ kahrs, and that what i first learned to shoot
    i bought the kimber aegis (pretty much the exact same as the emp, i like the aegis better though for a few minor reasons)
    my aegis is my one and only. i trust it with my life and also shoot it a LOT.
    fun to shoot, wonderful gun, conceals great.. couldnt be better

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I believe in the KISS philosophy...keep it simple, especially with firearms combined with stress. I'm one of the folks that do not think a SA gun with a safety is the best mode of action for a concealed pistol. I firmly am of the opinion that having only one operation, pulling the trigger, is the best way to go, and much safer for inexperienced people. Therefore, I'd recommend the Kahrs, either of them, but lean toward the larger grip on the CW.

How about buying a P9 and a PM9 for the same price as the EMP?

I would definitely go with the P9 over the CW9, you get dovetail front sight and an extra mag with surely makes up for the extra money.

You are in the fortunate circumstance of not being in position to make a bad choice between the two. Both would serve admirably. But for a shooter who doesn't do a LOT of shooting, the simplicity of the Kahr would probably be the better choice.

i will agree with them on one point
    if she isnt going to be shooting, or at least dry firing... practicing
    then yes a DAO is "simpler"
    but believe me, it doesnt take much to get your brain to flip that thumb down when you are drawing. practice and it will become more second nature than anything. if she isnt going to practice, a dao is better.
    but if she isnt going to practice.. well then i have a word or two to exchange with her.

cw9 is a great gun. i'd go for that one. my wife loves it too.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Go with the Springer.

Kahr, maybe the steel ones

Although I like 1911s with 3 inch barrels like the EMP, I would probably go with a Kahr for a small 9mm gun. I think the Kahr is better value at about half the price of the EMP, and the DAO trigger with internal striker is just a simpler concept to master than a single action gun with external hammer and thumb safety.

Since your girlfriend will be carrying on the belt or in a purse, she might consider the all steel Kahrs in the "K" series rather than the polymer models. The steel Kahrs are easier to shoot well because of their weight, and have a much better reputation for reliability than the polymer Kahrs. I have a MK9 which has performed very well for me, and it is the most concealable belt gun I have ever used.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

No way to steel, too heavey. Stick with the CW9, great little gun, light weight, and easy to conceal. For a $190 savings over the P9, you could buy another mag for $29 and have lots of money for practice ammo. See description here...
    http://tinyurl.com/35shz6
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    I have both and am selling the EMP. The EMP is one of the greatest handling shooters of all time, but I just can't get past the internal lock.
    I've heard of internal locks on revolvers, but what is the internal lock on the EMP?

Thanks
    Dan

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    For my money, EMP hands down.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links