Guns & Ammo Review: Ruger SR9 - merged

This is a discussion on Guns & Ammo Review: Ruger SR9 - merged within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got done reading several reviews on the SR9 and then picked up this magazine at the grocery store last night. Read it and I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns & Ammo Review: Ruger SR9 - merged

Guns & Ammo Review: Ruger SR9 - merged

Just got done reading several reviews on the SR9 and then picked up this magazine at the grocery store last night. Read it and I'm impressed! There was actually a gun show yesterday that I went to and almost purchased it but didn't because I couldn't find the price I had found on one earlier (suprise..)

Anyways, gun feels GREAT, amazingly slim for a 17+1 double stack!! Great looking sights, fully adjustable elevation/windage. Love the rear rubber strip thats adjustable and the rounded profile of the slide. Another couple cool things it has is a captured striker assembly (no shooting across the room when you disassemble) and you don't have to pull the trigger upon disassembly, which some people really grip about.

They tested the gun with 12,000 rounds in a couple days WITHOUT a single cleaning!!! Talk about a torture test, NOT A SINGLE FAILURE! They actually had one, it was a failure of the slide to lock, but they said it was due to a snag on the gloves of the person shooting.

There have been basically 3 arguments against this gun that I have read on several forums, which are all IMO ridiculous.

1) Design is too late, what does it do that other polymer guns or a glock won't?

Too late? Right, I guess all gun manufacturers should just go ahead and cease evolving handguns, since we already have everything we could ever need! Err, lame argument. Just because most polymer guns are all similar, there are still small differences that can make/break and gun for a person. I for one cannot stand the feel and profile of a Glock (for ME, obviosly), which is why I love the very slim profile of the new SR9.

2) The trigger feels horrible/gritty/etc...

If you pull the trigger with no magazine in the gun, the striker is ridden, causing the gritty trigger pull. This has to do with the magazine safey (which is easily removable BTW, good job Ruger!)

Pull the trigger with a magazine in the gun, you know, how you ACTUALLY shoot the thing, and the trigger pull is great (advertised 6.5 lbs), reportedly less after a good breakin, pretty obvious stuff, doesn't even need to be brought up IMO.

3) Magazines are a BEAR to load.

Again, pretty obvious, anyone thats ever owned a hi-cap gun should pretty much know that its hard to load em up the first several times, until things loosen up.

Last thing, it has been hinted a few places (once in the magazine article) that they have a subcompact model in the works!!!!

That part really excites me.. I kind of want this gun. It's really the only striker fired gun that I want right now, it has all of the right features FOR ME.

Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

2. Remove Ads

I am one of the "Too little too late" people. To each their own I say.

I do think that if Ruger is able to offer this gun in more calibers and sizes, while holding the cost of the gun down, they may have something here. However, it is very late in coming to the market, admittedly. Better late than never I guess?

I already have two 9mm's and don't feel I need another at this point in time, it's not my favorite caliber. If Ruger came out with a 45 ACP I would have to seriously consider it instead of the M&P 45 that I'm pondering right now.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I am one of the "Too little too late" people. To each their own I say.

I do think that if Ruger is able to offer this gun in more calibers and sizes, while holding the cost of the gun down, they may have something here. However, it is very late in coming to the market, admittedly. Better late than never I guess?

I already have two 9mm's and don't feel I need another at this point in time, it's not my favorite caliber. If Ruger came out with a 45 ACP I would have to seriously consider it instead of the M&P 45 that I'm pondering right now.

Biker
    I can kinda understand that, a little.

I'm sure they will offer in more calibers, like many guns that are released, other calibers (and sizes) are leaked out shortly after the initial release.

I don't see how it is late to the market? If that were the case, then the XD, M&P, HK P30, FN FNP9, etc etc etc are all too late as well. A polymer gun is a polymer gun, its nothing new for the past 15-20+ years. The only thing different about most of the "new" guns is the exchangeable backstraps and little frills like that (and the 50 million built in safeties, ugh). Everything else is the same. I just don't think thats a valid argument against the SR9 or any other new gun.

The thing really going for the SR9 is the slim profile. If you haven't held one you really should, I think you will be suprised!

Plus, 2 9's just isnt enough! I only have 3 9mm's (my carry caliber of choice), and these are still on my list:

-CZ SP01
    -PX4 Storm (possibly)
    -Armalite AR-24
    -Cougar 8000
    -HK P30 (if I can ever afford it)
    -now the SR9
    -Some revolver
    -probably many more that I haven't had the chance to handle

-Garan
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

A subcompact with these features in the same price range really interests me.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I picked mine up for $449... it carries well, and shoots very well. I put 150 rounds through it. My first few shots were horrible (I was coming from a Bersa 380) but by the end of the 30 minutes I had a very tight cluster at 15 feet away.

I like it alot. I'm one of those people that hates the feel of the Glock... just a preference, and this gun just feels nice in my hand. I held various Glocks, SA XDs, and then this gun and it just feels nice. My only con was how tough the magazine was to load, but I guess I just have to load it more often.

Two-thumbs up in my book... I'm really looking forward to a 40 or 45 version of this gun.
    Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Article 1, Section 21:
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Senior Moderator
    It about time that Ruger came up with something other than those brick feeling and looking semi autos that they have been marketing forever. WHy they have never been much of a player in the "Concealed Weapons" category is beyond me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by uflnuceng View Post
    I picked mine up for $449... it carries well, and shoots very well. I put 150 rounds through it. My first few shots were horrible (I was coming from a Bersa 380) but by the end of the 30 minutes I had a very tight cluster at 15 feet away.

I like it alot. I'm one of those people that hates the feel of the Glock... just a preference, and this gun just feels nice in my hand. I held various Glocks, SA XDs, and then this gun and it just feels nice. My only con was how tough the magazine was to load, but I guess I just have to load it more often.

Two-thumbs up in my book... I'm really looking forward to a 40 or 45 version of this gun.
    Sweet! Keep us updated on how much you like it as you continue to use it!

-Garan

I guarantee you this: If the pistol is as nice as the writers all say it is, Glock and all of the other tupperware makers had better pay attention to what is going on, because Ruger routinely prices their pistols 150-200 dollars cheaper than the rest of the competition. If it proves to be the equal in performance and reliability to the Glock and other pistols costing much more, Ruger could be on to something. I have owned Ruger pistols and rifles over the years and have not been disappointed once; They build quality firearms for competitive prices.

Heck, I think I might buy me another piece of tupperware.........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    The Springfield XD is already putting a bite on the Glocks. I know of two gunstores here locally that quit selling the Glocks because they werent moving them. They cant keep the XD's in stock.

This Ruger isnt going to help the Glock market at all. You'll always have the die hard Glockers buying them, but new shooters that dont know any better arent picking the Glock over the others.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The Springfield XD is already putting a bite on the Glocks. I know of two gunstores here locally that quit selling the Glocks because they werent moving them. They cant keep the XD's in stock.

This Ruger isnt going to help the Glock market at all. You'll always have the die hard Glockers buying them, but new shooters that dont know any better arent picking the Glock over the others.
    Exactly why Glock better do something new, same gun since the 80's hehe (probably exaggerating a bit for humor)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I dry fired the SR9 with the magazine in, and the trigger was stlll awful, worse than Ruger's normally bad triggers on their centerfire auto pistols.

The grip is better for me than the Glock, but that isn't saying much.

I think that Ruger is going to have a tough time selling this one, there are so many good guns of this type already out there to compete against.

Reminds me of a Sigma. If they offer it in a sub compact or compact version, other calibers and keep the price under the competition, they might have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I dry fired the SR9 with the magazine in, and the trigger was stlll awful, worse than Ruger's normally bad triggers on their centerfire auto pistols.
    Thats strange, the ones I handled(3) at the gunshow were all pretty smooth, and I can imagine they would only improve after 1000 rounds or so.

I have heard some people say this though, maybe a QC issue. I'm sure they will get it worked out. What gun is perfect through the first run of production? None that I have ever heard of.

Also, removing the magazine safety mechanism, which most would probably do, might fix the problem, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    Reminds me of a Sigma. If they offer it in a sub compact or compact version, other calibers and keep the price under the competition, they might have a winner.
    I don't know about that, a Sigma is about as bare bones of a gun as you can get. The SR9 has several popular features and is probably a more durable gun. A Sigma is pretty much a 7,500 round throw away gun. The SR9 went through 12,000 rounds without cleaning with no failures!

Two questions:
    Will they make a model in .45 acp?
    How long before quality holsters are available?
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Rugers are good guns at good prices. If they add more calibers, I think they'll have a market niche. Just my $.02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links