.41 magnum Snubby?

.41 magnum Snubby?

This is a discussion on .41 magnum Snubby? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at a local gunstore the other day and I saw a Taurus (I believe it was a 415?) snubby that was chambered in ...

Thread: .41 magnum Snubby?

.41 magnum Snubby?

I was at a local gunstore the other day and I saw a Taurus (I believe it was a 415?) snubby that was chambered in .41 magnum. It seemed just a little larger in size than an SP101, but smaller than a GP100. It's weight wasn't bad either. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these guns and the use of the .41 magnum for SD. I know the ammunition is hard to find, but I was just going to buy this because it seemed to be an "oddball" kind of gun and for some reason I like those. Just and occasional carry piece. They wanted $285 for it, is that an acceptable price? It seemed about 90-95%..

41 Mag will work just fine for SD but it is a little powerfull Recoil in a Snub will be Stout .. Can't Say nothing about the gun you listed as i have never shot one

S&W 657 PC and 357 PD

The Smith & Wesson Performance Center made a special run of a .41 magnum snubby called the model 657 PC. It had a 2-5/8 inch barrel and unfluted cylinder, as shown below.

S&W also currently shows a model 357 PD revolver in .41 magnum in their catalog, with a 4 inch barrel, 27.5 ounce weight, $1100 list price and scandium frame:

Either one of these would make a pretty potent self defense gun if loaded with ammo like the Buffalo Bore item 16C, a 170 grain jacketed hollow point with muzzle velocity of 1650 fps and muzzle energy of 1028 ft-lbs. This pretty well leaves the 10mm caliber in the dust.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have the 357PD but i will say with full power Magnums its a handfull but super light to carry

I recently sold my 44 magnum Taurus that was a 2" barrell, somewhat similar (model M44C).

Was quite a buttkicker but I downloaded rounds for it and it was fine. A little big for me to carry, it can be done but I wanted something lighter, I do plan on getting another one at some point. Very accurate too.

I think that price wasn't bad for it at all. I sold mine for 303$ on gunbroker.

I use to carry off duty and for many years as a ccw a Model 57 customized by MagNPort that had a 2.5 bbl. and K frame round butt grip and yes it was a handfull with 175 SilverTips. The 210 Lead SWC is a sweetheart out of it. I still carry it when I know I am heading to some really bad areas. But it got to be too much and with my work it was a bit too much to keep concealled all the time.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Schwebel:

Jump on it. That's a great price on one, and I have one (Taurus 415, all steel). It's accurate, powerful and the ribbers really tame the recoil. I'm not saying it's as easy in the follow-up shot department as a full-sized 9mm autoloader, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to shoot.

I did a range report on it a while back, too. Do a search and you'll be able to pull it up pretty quickly. Great gun, great price. I am recoil-sensitive, and was concerned, but when I shot it, I knew we were a match.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Sponsored Links