Do I need A Weapon Mounted Light?

This is a discussion on Do I need A Weapon Mounted Light? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you need it? I would say no... I prefer to have the light separate from the weapon. OMO Stay armed...stay safe!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need A Weapon Mounted Light?

Do you need it? I would say no...
    I prefer to have the light separate from the weapon. OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Need? nope

But I for one don't see a problem with it if:

1) You find a comfortable way to carry it and keep it concealed (difficult but not impossible)

2) Do your research and get some training on how to use it.

3) Always carry an additional light, NEVER use your weapon light as you would a flash light.

Just my .02
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Surefire x300 replacement for the x200, or look at the insight models, cheap m3, m-6(w/laser), or the new ssl-1 (led), or mini x2, or x2l (laser) The surefire retails about 225. The x2l about 180-190. Definitely a good thing for home defense or vehicle carry, but I agree with those not recommending for EDC. Try Ebay, that is where I just won an x200 led for about half of retail, NIB.

While on the subject, does any body have any suggestions for holsters with light mounts out there. (I posted a separate thread, but nobody has replied.)
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I thought about this also. Do I need a light on my home defense gun?

I don't think so really. I mean, I can close my eyes and walk through my house. My eyes are fully adjusted and my night vision is good. In fact, it's never really ever that dark anyways. If I can't see it ( or bad guy)without the light then maybe I shouldn't be shooting at it.
    I know my house better than the perp. If anybody should have a light it is him. The darker the better. If I have a light on then he knows the target.

It has all been so already. Pros and cons to both I guess. Get one and dont turn it on, it will still look cool.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. You all make very good points as well. My carry weapon is a Springfield 1911A1 Loaded w/night sites or a Glock19. I have a couple of cheap, small pocket LED'S around the house and one sitting on my nightstand where my Sig stays. I also have a rechargeable Streamlight Stinger HP screwed to my nightstand as well. I wouldn't mind investing in a more reliable pocket led, such as a surefire to keep on my nightstand. In my opinion, I see both positive and negative points to having a weapon mounted light. I thought about it and tried to do a scene size up outside tonight. It seems that my property is not totally dark, in fact I have two street lights. One in front of my home and one in front of my grandmothers home, which together they both keep the outside pretty much lighted, except for the shaded areas behind the houses. I guess it's just a personal decision I gotta make sooner or later...

Here's my take on this (again). I believe that in a HD situation target ID is paramount so I'd have a light either hand held or mounted. There are numerous tragic stories concerning misidentified intruders. My HD guns wear lights, my CCW rig consists of a combination mag and light holder.

I've taken some low-light classes for both handguns and long-guns, we also shoot low-light stages at our matches. Using a handheld light takes some initial training and practice to remain good with it. A mounted light is much easier to hit with, it is also easier manipulate the weapon. As a couple guys pointed out, once mounted it's there.

As for the lights giving away your position argument. Take some training and decide for yourself. Just because the light is available, doesn't mean you have to use it. There are strobe and movement techniques that make a tactical light (greater or equal to 65 lumens) a force multiplier.

With a good light, there is enough "spill" of light to ID targets threats without pointing the weapon directly at the target. I can pretty much make out objects with either my pistol or long-gun at a low ready. I've trained with both the Harries and Surefire/Rogers techniques and with both of those the effect is the same, the light and muzzle are pointing at the same thing, might as well be a mounted light.

Like everything else, you'll have to do your own risk/threat assessment. In my area a low-light class by a certified police instructor is pretty reasonable and some of the best training I've taken. Since statistics state that most attacks happen in either low or no light, getting some low light training just makes sense.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by titan305 View Post
    Pros and cons to both I guess. Get one and dont turn it on, it will still look cool.
    I already knew that I did not need to be the target, but yearned for an excuse to get one. Eureka! You have given me the reason why I must have one.

Quote Originally Posted by titan305 View Post
    I thought about this also. Do I need a light on my home defense gun?

I don't think so really. I mean, I can close my eyes and walk through my house. My eyes are fully adjusted and my night vision is good. In fact, it's never really ever that dark anyways. If I can't see it ( or bad guy)without the light then maybe I shouldn't be shooting at it.
    I know my house better than the perp. If anybody should have a light it is him. The darker the better. If I have a light on then he knows the target.

It has all been so already. Pros and cons to both I guess. Get one and dont turn it on, it will still look cool.
    The weapon light isn't for navigation, it's for target ID.

Lead Moderator
    Like Chuck R. pointed out, I use my weapon light's "spill" when needed to ID a target. I have a offset Streamlight M6 light /laser mounted on my AR for HD.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I agree with rodc13 and Chuck R.'s posts. An excellent light is the Streamlight M-3X, or the SSL-1 if you prefer the benefits of LED bulbs. Either light can be had for a reasonable price at botac.com
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I prefer a handheld light.

Light

After a recent inceddent at my house when the alarm sounded at 2:15am I purchased a streamlight and attach it nightly at bedtime. I was one who thought that the handheld would be better, but when the poop hit the air circulator I only reached for the gun and left the light on the nightstand. Take some time to train with it and you do not have to sweep your target to illuminate and identify. An original concern of mine since I have little ones about.

The greatest advantage is that I have a free hand to control movement of others I.E. direct little ones to the safe zone and to manipulate doors and phone if need be. Once the family is secure if you need to move about and "clear your house" than use the momentary switch to blind and illuminate if needed. Again your family should be accounted for and and in a safe zone so anyone else is considered hostile.

my 0.2
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

After taking into consideration what all you guys told me (great advice by the way), I went today and picked up a Glock GTL-10 and SureFire 6P. That 80 lumens is something to behold for a first time SureFire owner, like myself. He even threw in 6 SureFire 123A Lithium Batteries. Total price out the door was $180.00. Hell, I have about 10 flashlights around the house, yet the only two I trust are my Streamlight Stinger Hp and my Maglite 2 D cell. Which both are way to big to carry daily. I bought one of those Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme Led lights (1watt), and it ain't worth a damn. It won't even stay turned on half the time. I finally smartened up and realized you get what you pay for. Forgot to mention, that GTL-10 is pretty darn bright too.

GLOCK 21 (Short Frame) w/ GLOCK GTL-10 and SureFire 6P

Administrator
    Nice choices. I'm glad you decided to do both, that way we wont have to debate for 3 more pages what is better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would not say you 'need' one, but they sure are nice to have.

The Glock GTL-10 uses 2 x CR123 3V lithium batteries, so in fact it's just as bright as your typical 6V tactical light, the only difference maybe being the bulb manufacturer may differ slightly between bulb brands. The light is also able to be focused.

I read some reviews on it before I bought it, and most reviewers knocked the lack of battery install directions, which are engraved onto the side. Maybe they had an earlier model, or they just did not see them, but that was the only fault they could find with it, which is not really a fault at all. Changing the batteries is easy.

If you use the pulse switch on the side, you can quickly flash the light for a split second, without giving away your position, and you still have one hand free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links