Do I need A Weapon Mounted Light? - Page 3

Do I need A Weapon Mounted Light?

This is a discussion on Do I need A Weapon Mounted Light? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMO a weapon mounted light along with a handheld is ideal for HD. I have been taught to strobe my weapon light and it makes ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    IMO a weapon mounted light along with a handheld is ideal for HD. I have been taught to strobe my weapon light and it makes it much harder to pin down exactly where I am. And with the Surefire X300 it is so bright freakin bright that just being near the bad end of the gun will disorient you at least to some degree. YMMV
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    The only problem with a "weapon" mounted light. Is that if you need to use your light its attached to your gun, therefore, whatever your light points at your sweeping. IMHO there cool chics dig em, and they add sex appeal to the gun.Being a Lefty the switches don't work well for me anyway, I also tend to think that if you have the time to use one simliar to a handheld light you might not have to shoot. IMHO a hand held light has many more options. You can walk around with one in your hand in a crowded mall if you want and no ones the wiser. You can use it as an impact device if you want. You can be even more nonchallant about carrying a gun if you have one cause your flashlight can be used as a weapon faster, and sometimes more effective than a gun. Also, its a great defensive item to carry on airplane.
    I don't think in any talk of weapon lights we should assume other flashlights are discounted. He is soliciting advice on a weapon mounted light.

The surefire X300 LED weapon light generates 110 lumins for over 2 hours and has ambidextrous switching, but then I think all handgun lights are ambi, exept for some real pos discount ones. Costs $225.00.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    IMO a weapon mounted light along with a handheld is ideal for HD. I have been taught to strobe my weapon light and it makes it much harder to pin down exactly where I am. And with the Surefire X300 it is so bright freakin bright that just being near the bad end of the gun will disorient you at least to some degree. YMMV
    Wasnt it you that told be a while ago that my M3 was outdated? Now you understand why I stick with it instead of the latest/greatest.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Need one? No. Could one be a good tool? Sure. I just now finished watching Clint Smith's "Defensive Tactics" DVD and it covered handheld and weapon mounted lights.

Most people who talk bad about weapon mounted lights have never used one. Handheld or mounted, doesn't really matter. Learn to use it effectively and you'll be good to go.

1. You DON'T have to have the gun pointed at something to illuminate it. Lithium powered lights are bright and the halo around the hot spot of the light are plenty for most uses. Keep the gun between ready and low ready and use your eyes.

2. If you go with a weapon mounted light, run the light on the gun at the range to be sure it doesn't affect the reliability of your gun.

Try both kinds of lights and see what you like.

This is my Streamlight TLR-1 mounted on my G30. It generally rides on my G19 but you get the point. Very affordable at $89 from lapolicegear.com, but a VERY nice light.

Hope my .02 was worth something to you.

Get one. Surefire LED, or Glocklite . Glock 22 or 23. Don't let any old curmudgedon tell you otherwise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links