Do I need A Weapon Mounted Light?

This is a discussion on Do I need A Weapon Mounted Light? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. I'm kinda in a tough situation right now. Any advice is sure welcome. I never really thought about having a weapon mounted light ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need A Weapon Mounted Light?

Hey guys. I'm kinda in a tough situation right now. Any advice is sure welcome.

I never really thought about having a weapon mounted light on my HD gun, until recently. I live in a small town that has a big drug and crime problem. We sit right at the crossroads of I-95 and I-40, which is a drug trafficking paradise for drug dealers heading to NY from FL and vice versa. Not to mention all the meth addicts and meth labs all around. My neighbor hood is interesting, because you have low income, middle class and high class all on the same street. My point in case, My grandmother (90 years old) lives beside me. So, not only am I defending my family at night, I have to be on the lookout for my grandmother next door. If something went down at night, after making sure my home and property were clear, I would most likely have to clear around my grandmothers home before thinking about calling 911. So, I really think a weapon mounted light would most benefit my cause. My HD gun is a Sig p220R w/night sites, which I'm thinking hard about getting a Glock 21sf or Glock 22 for HD. I live in a very high risk environment.

Any suggestions on a good, reliable weapon light under 250 bucks? I want something that will blind the suspect.

I have the Glock laser/light on my G17 and G34 for home defense, and I like it a lot. I think I paid $189 for it from http://www.opticsplanet.net/glock-ta...-l-aecbce.html.

If you don't need the laser combo, the light only are $84.

It's not something you would want to put on a concealment gun, although there are some holsters that will fit.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    The only problem with a "weapon" mounted light. Is that if you need to use your light its attached to your gun, therefore, whatever your light points at your sweeping. IMHO there cool chics dig em, and they add sex appeal to the gun.Being a Lefty the switches don't work well for me anyway, I also tend to think that if you have the time to use one simliar to a handheld light you might not have to shoot. IMHO a hand held light has many more options. You can walk around with one in your hand in a crowded mall if you want and no ones the wiser. You can use it as an impact device if you want. You can be even more nonchallant about carrying a gun if you have one cause your flashlight can be used as a weapon faster, and sometimes more effective than a gun. Also, its a great defensive item to carry on airplane.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Home defense yes. It leaves you a free hand to operate doors, call 911, etc. On a carry gun, no. I don't see this as a practical "need".

The Glock light is decent. Surefire is the Caddy of weapon lights. Streamlight is the middle ground. For hard use I'd go Surefire.

im all for mounted lights on home defense guns.
    carry gun, not so much
    .. ah. tubby45 beat me to it agian

I have both. My Warrior sleeps on the nightstand wearing a X200, right next to my 6P that I carry every day.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

No rail on my gun, just a light beside it. Works for me...YMMV

Austin

Nope!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I'd have to say "no." The light illuminates me, long before it does the target. The only thing worse would be wearing glow-in-the-dark jammies.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    The only thing worse would be wearing glow-in-the-dark jammies.
    you mockin my jammies?

I'm in favor of a weapon-mounted light for home defense. Not for general use, but as a backup or for momentary illumination in the direst extreme. The advantage is that you will always have a light with your weapon. If you don't need to use it, it does no harm, but if you drop your general use flashlight, or it fails, or if you need your offhand to open a door, pick something up, etc., you still have the weapon light mounted.

I keep a Surefire G2Z on my nightstand, and have a number of G2s placed around the house and in both vehicles. I also have an Insight Technologies M3X on my primary HD handgun. I view it the same way I view an extra magazine: at worst, it does no harm; at best, it could be a lifesaver.

A handgun for concealed carry, on the other hand, is another kettle of fish altogether. Here, I think a weapon-mounted light can affect concealability and carrying comfort, as well as potentially speed of presentation from concealment. I don't want one on my CCW. I do carry the G2Z when I go out after dark, though.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Administrator
    Its not needed, but they sure make it easier.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I cannot get beyond my military training and experience. Nope, I cannot bring myself around to being the target, but I keep a separate light handy.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    you mockin my jammies?
    I'm sorry. I need that "sensitivity training refresher" they're offering. Gotta get my hours.

I thought long and hard about putting a light on one of my guns that has a rail. I decided against it for a few reasons.

1) Anytime you point your light you also point your gun
    2) The light is positioned in the area of your COM (bad place to be shot IMHO)
    3) You are too easily illuminated, IMHO

Learn to use a light with an on/off tailcap or a Maglight. I like my Maglight because it rolls across the floor while I stay behind cover/concealment. If the Maglight is too big get a Surefire. Whatever you do, make sure you learn how to hold it so that you don't illuminate yourself and give your adversary a target.

Weapon mounted lights are great for SWAT Teams and "Entrenched" Defensive Positions, not for somebody moving around clearing their house or business or Grandma's place next door.

That's my $0.02 on the matter.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links