Should I keep my PM9 ????

This is a discussion on Should I keep my PM9 ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First please this is not a solicitation for offers (yet). I purchased a nib PM9 in 10/07. Went to the range for the suggested "break ...

Thread: Should I keep my PM9 ????

Should I keep my PM9 ????

First please this is not a solicitation for offers (yet). I purchased a nib PM9 in 10/07. Went to the range for the suggested "break in " period nothing but problems. Put 200 rds first time. Went back three more times to put a total of 700 rds. Still had numerous problems, ftf, failure to fully return to battery, slide did not lock open on empty mag, slide closed when mag release was pushed with both 6 rd and 7rd mags. Long story short sent it back to Kahr with list of malfunctions. Awaiting what they do as far as repair/replace. Honestly hope it gets lost in transit and collect insurance. lol. I just shutter to think a sold a perfectly good Glock 27 for a more consealable Kahr and I wind up with a "Monday gun" lemon. Don't get me wrong I would love to ccw this gun, but I can't trust my life and my families lives on this with the amount of problems I have had. Question is does anyone have the gun book price if I decide to sell when it is returned. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Wait and see how it performs after you get it back from Kahr. Actually, have them send it to me for testing.

i would wait and see how it shoots when you get it back from kahr. if it still doesn't shoot right, send it back to them and see if they'll send you a new gun.

to me, the differences between the pm9 and the g27, in both width and weight, were so substantial i put down the g27 in lieu of the pm9 in the gun store.

as of right now, i have just over 200 round through mine, and i too have had some problems. i will put at least another 200 rounds through it, and if those go through without a hitch, i'll put another 250-300 rounds through it before making a determination of whether or not to carry it.

this is not, and shouldn't be considered, an overnight process (that of thoroughly proving a tool you may rely upon to defend your life and/or the life of a loved one). so be patient, and go at it as methodically as possible.

Distinguished Member
    Not trying to start a war here--- You live in Florida, buy something made in your state Kel-tec PF-9. I think it is smaller than the Kahr. I purchased mine, did not clean it, loaded clips, and bang,bang,bang. It's not as snazzy as the Kahr, but I will strap it on, and go anywhere.

Just a thought.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Not trying to start a war here--- You live in Florida, buy something made in your state Kel-tec PF-9. I think it is smaller than the Kahr. I purchased mine, did not clean it, loaded clips, and bang,bang,bang. It's not as snazzy as the Kahr, but I will strap it on, and go anywhere.

Just a thought.

Z
    I had a p11 years ago, can't get use to the looong trigger pull. Use to have nightmares where I needed to fire the gun and kept pulling anf pulling the trigger.

seriously you should just GIVE it to me, I'd say thank you =)

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

Wait until you get it back. I had problems with mine and sent it back to the factory. They were very helpful and even gave me two magazines(I thought that might have been the problem). When I got mine back it took me five hundred rounds to trust it(have over 1000 without a misfire now). But I wouldn't trust any gun until I fired at least that much through it anyway. Having owned a baby GLOCK and then this gun, there is no comparison in size. This gun is so much smaller that a lot of them have tight tolerance issues. Mine is much smoother now. Kahr is aw some with warranty and will make your gun 100%. In my opinion the trade off is worth a little frustration. From talking to people I learned that when most of them get running, they loosen up and shoot great.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Wait until you get it back and see how it works.

If there is any doubt as far as reliability then yes you must sell it and get something that is more reliable.

You might want to check out a S&W 642 or 340 if things don't work out with the Kahr. The lightweight J-Frames make great carry guns and you do not have to worry about reliability for the most part.

Good luck,
    Steve

Kahr's warranty service is very good, IMHO.

I would wait until I got it back, clean and lube it "properly" and then go shoot it. For lubing the PM9 check out the "Sticky" in GlockTalk on the Kahr Forum, it's very informative. Also, do not load using the "slingshot" method but from the slidestop. I don't know why, but it seems to make a difference and that's the way Kahr says to do it.

I've had mine for four years and since the "Break In" of 200 rounds it has never had a jam. I'm on my third recoil spring, and I replace them every 1,000 rounds.

I don't shoot this gun as much as my others because I don't carry it that much. It fills a special "niche" that no other gun I have can.

Biker

Hated my PM9. Had local gunsmith polish the feed ramp and followed his advice to run it "wet" with liberal dollop of gun oil.
    Since then, I'm a believer. Also with the 147 grain JHP, the dang thing jammed often. But not with the lighter 124 grain, that was not an option for me. So he gave it a little love and now it's perfect. I can hide that gun better than any of my other guns.
    Give it time. See what Kahr has done. I bet you will change your mind. Good luck!

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Lots of folks seem to have reliability issues with the polymer guns from Kahr. I went with an MK9 and I really like it. Never had a hiccup of any kind out of it. It is a little heavier to carry, but extra weight equals better recoil, too. Kahr takes care of their customers, but if you can't get past the gun's history of failures and have to switch, I would recommend the MK9.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Links