One of the more interesting 1911s I've built - new pics page 5, post # 47

This is a discussion on One of the more interesting 1911s I've built - new pics page 5, post # 47 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the most unusual one I've built. I'm one of those that has trouble with grip safety trigger blocks if I use the thumb ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One of the more interesting 1911s I've built - new pics page 5, post # 47

Senior Moderator

One of the more interesting 1911s I've built - new pics page 5, post # 47

This is the most unusual one I've built. I'm one of those that has trouble with grip safety trigger blocks if I use the thumb over the safety grip.

There are three common solutions for this, one, pin the grip safety, two, make the grip safety very sensitive by trimming the block tab, or three, some kind of hump on the grip safety.

I didn't want to pin the safety or make it overly sensitive and the hump didn't help me a lot, although the Caspian grip safety with a ridge rather than a hump helped some, but I think I built this before I discovered the Caspian grip safety.

Here's the finished gun:

Looks pretty normal until you see what I did to the grip safety and beavertail: I cut the beavertail from the grip safety as shown here, BTW that's the Caspian ridge grip safety on the right. And, notice there is a beavertail on the frame but no grip safety. The modified grip safety is matched to the beavertail. The beavertail is rigidly attached to the frame (high tensile strength silver solder) and the grip safety remains fully functional.

Here's how it looks from the left rear:

This did help a lot. I tried several different silver solders before I found one strong enough. I took the pistol to Thunder Ranch for a five day Level II Low Light Level handgun course and the gun never skipped a beat.

This one is just about all Wilson Combat components except for the Caspian grips. IIRC, I orginally had Wilson slim grips and didn't like them and had a pair of Caspians so I put them on it. The frame and slide is carbon steel with a hard chrome finish - the same guy did the chroming that does Wilson Combat guns. I'm tellin' ya, that hard chrome finish is tough as it can get!!

So there ya are. Oh, BTW, I carried this for quite a while, it's never given me the first problem. The sights are Wilson Combat night sights, IIRC.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up Nice Work

Good job
    U.S. Army Veteran

That's nice. How long did it take you to build ?
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Administrator
    That's a real neat, precise job and a modification that I sure have never seen being done by any othe gun smith before.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    That's nice. How long did it take you to build ?
    I can't remember, but it took quite a bit of time because I wasn't modifying an existing gun, I was building the whole thing from scratch. I always go slow with the thumb safety fitting because it's so important and there's not a lot of leeway.

I had to rent acetylene tanks to reach the temperature required for the high temp, high tensile strength silver solder. The first silver solder I used, failed so I had to order a different kind from Brownells.

When I started the project, I wasn't sure the gun could be assembled with the beavertail rigidly attached to the frame. I had to make the modification before I would know. Fortunately, it worked - not quite as easy as standard, but not too bad.

I did know though, if it didn't work, I could melt the beavertail off, clean up the fit, and install the standard beavertail. Glad I had the courage to give it a try.

Looks very good. I'm just surprised that gap doesn't pinch the web of your hand. Please report if you experience any problems, otherwise I'll keep it in mind!

Perhaps you should trademark it. I mean, if Ed Brown can trademark a rounded Officer's MSH you can trademark this. Maybe in a year or so everyone will be asking for a Tangle Grip Safety™!

JD
    Administrator
    Well that's one way to get rid of any gap between the tang and the safety...

Very nice!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Looks very good. I'm just surprised that gap doesn't pinch the web of your hand. Please report if you experience any problems, otherwise I'll keep it in mind!

Perhaps you should trademark it. I mean, if Ed Brown can trademark a rounded Officer's MSH you can trademark this. Maybe in a year or so everyone will be asking for a Tangle Grip Safety™!
    It's not enough of a gap to pinch. Haven't had any problem with it pinching. I was thinking about calling it the "Hard Tail".

Doggonit, you guys have got me all worked up about this and now I'm gonna start carrying it again.

*drool*

OD*
    Excellent read, ingenious job there.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    That's pretty slick!

I also, have issues with the standard grip safety & on one of my pistols, added the Caspian ridge style safety (on left). On one of my Kimbers ( on right) I added a piece of stainless steel barrel, had it welded up & smoothed to make a higher than normal bump. I also use 'bumped' grip safeties on all my other 1911s.(center)

The need for more of bump seems to be pretty common. I have large, but thin hands & a lot of the time there isn't enough meat on my hand to depress the safety on a lot of 1911s.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I am drooling on my keyboard here.

That is a nice looking 1911 and I really like the attached beaver tail. Nice idea.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Tangle,

Very nice work sir!

B.

Nice job.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    ...The need for more of bump seems to be pretty common. I have large, but thin hands & a lot of the time there isn't enough meat on my hand to depress the safety on a lot of 1911s.
    That's what I've noticed, that thinner hands tend to have the problem much more often than meatier hands. Like you said, there just isn't enough meat to do the job.

Another part of it though is the high grip. With a high grip, the web of the hand presses upward on the beavertail which tends to make the grip safety rotate ourward. The idea of the fixed beavertail is that upward pressure on it, won't cause the grip safety to rotate or even impede it's inward motion in any way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links