S&W 5903 feedback wanted

S&W 5903 feedback wanted

This is a discussion on S&W 5903 feedback wanted within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a gaggle of these for sale from a local large county PD. They might be the Tactical but I couldn't remember once I ...

Thread: S&W 5903 feedback wanted

S&W 5903 feedback wanted

There is a gaggle of these for sale from a local large county PD. They might be the Tactical but I couldn't remember once I left that I should have checked. All of them laying on the other side in the cabinet and I could not get in to inspect them but may go back tomorrow and do so. All of them I have seen look mint. At least four of them that all look carried little at all.

They come with Night Sights and two mags.

9mm of course

Stainless Slides and Alloy frames, black rubber grips.

Gimme the skinny on these things?

Jamomatics? Craptastic? Good decent little 9mm? Too much money for one?

They are asking $299 for them.

Good selection of ones to go through. I don't have anything Semi Pistol in 9mm so would be interested in having one if they were not trouble. I do have over 1000 rounds of 9mm WWB FMJ so I got some ammo.

It is a 3rd generation Smith steal gun. The AL frame and SS slide make it a "right" weight gun to carry.

I have and carry a police trade in 6946 a compact DAO version of the gun. In over 5000+ rounds have NEVER had a failure. I have not read about any problems with Smith 3rd generation guns. Used Smith mags are cheap and easy to find for 15 rounders.

$299 is a good price for a used night sight gun. If I found one for that I would buy it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

3rd Gen S&W semi-autos are one of the most reliable and robust guns available.

I've owned quite a few and never had any issues with them.

$299 is a pretty good price on a police trade-in gun that probably does not have that many rounds through it.

Not heard anything BUT good about these guns. Will go back tomorrow and scope them out and probably come home with one. Thanks guys.

Alright... report time

First of all they ARE NOT TSW's. They are standard 5903's with Night sights and Hoage Grips and two mags.

So I only bought one for that reason. Although they are sweet and I might change my mind. There were still three more in the display case when I left and every one of them was probably worth the money.

Most were marked Gwinnette P.D. (as has previously been mentioned a couple times they are out there). Oddly enough, once I had narrowed it down to the one I chose by condition and all it noticed it is marked Gwinnette S.D. Not sure if it was a mess up or if its South Dakota or if it is some other Department but it is what it is!

First impressions:

The double action pull is extremely smooth and I really like it. It's easy and even pull all the way though it is long it's still enjoyable. Its light. Perhaps 5 pounds? The down side, if any, is the travel is long and after first shot it takes a bit of getting used to all the pre-travel before it shoots. It sort of surprises you as there is no resistance until it takes it all up. Will be a learning curve. Another down side (maybe) is that for a double stack, it is a real fat grip. Way wider than my G27 in width so be sure you handle one before you buy. It is a fat thing for sure.

I took it completely apart and cleaned it in all the nooks and crannies that have not seen cleaning in its life and lubed it well and put it all back together again for a test fire.

I ran off 30 rounds (15 in each) without a hitch. Then cleaned it all over again. Did not do any target shooting. Just function checks.

They have some holster wear but not a lot on most of them. I examined 4 of them and they all had good bores. And all seemed in great functional shape. However, since they were not TSW's with the rail I only bought one of them. I chose one with the least of any carry marks and night sights still at about 50% or so.

Here are the pictures after clean up and test fire. Note that in picture 2, it appears a scratch on the front of the Slide in second picture but there is not one there. I don't know why it looks like it in the picture. The only real wear is around the front of the trigger guard and behind the beaver tail (you can look close and make that out). But otherwise not a darn mark at all. Something happened in that picture but I have gone back and looked and there is no scratch there.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    NICE!!!!

That looks a lot like my SW 4506. I've got the Hogue grips on it too.

The normal hard black grips are smaller in diameter. You will have to report after you shoot it so go shoot it soon.

Congrats on the new gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    The normal hard black grips are smaller in diameter. You will have to report after you shoot it so go shoot it soon.

Congrats on the new gun.
    Thought I did report some. At least I reported I had shot 30 rounds... is all.

I don't really have a problem grasping it. However its at my upper limit so I am not certain how the DIL will do. Might should get a set of stock grips on hand is what I figure.

I do plan to shoot "at target" some tomorrow with it. But so far its flawless as far as functionality goes.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The RCMP up here use the 5946, they are a nice gun except for the awful trigger pull they use, get a smith to clean up the trigger something a human being would use and your good to go.

I bought a police trade 5904-similar, but with blued carbon steel slide and alloy frame- several years ago. I recommend you get and install a new recoil spring. That should be the only part needed for perfect functioning for many years. Parts and grips are available from S&W Customer Service (Call the 800 phone number listed on the S&W site)
    and recoil springs have set me back all of $2 or so. (Last one was sent free!)Factory grips are slimmer and available in straight back or curved back. They run agout $20.
    My 5904 is the best TDA pistol I have used in over 35 years of handgun shooting and you got a great deal on it.

Enjoy it.

mark

The 5904 was my issued duty gun for a few years. They tend to be extremely reliable, light enough for carry without weighing you down, and plenty accurate. The one you have in the picture is an early model with the large trigger guard. They later went to the smaller, rounded trigger guard.
    As MNBurl pointed out the factory grips are smaller than the Hogues. Factory grips can be found on ebay for usually just a few dollars. Grips that will fit would be any for 5903, 5904, 5906. Might also be some from the value line but I'm not certain on those.

Links