Derringer Selection

Derringer Selection

This is a discussion on Derringer Selection within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally convinced my wife to get a concealed weapon permit. It wasnít easy; in fact I had to make some concessions. 1. I give ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Derringer Selection

I finally convinced my wife to get a concealed weapon permit.
    It wasnít easy; in fact I had to make some concessions.

1. I give up drinking beer on the weekends. (With the exceptions of social or other special occasions). This is supposed to help offset the associated costs of getting a license.

2. She wants a derringer. They are cute, and romantic, and full of aesthetics.

Okay, okay go ahead and bust my chops!

I know just as well as anyone the pitfalls of a derringer for self defense weapon. But I figure it is better than not carrying any gun at all. Once she gets use to carrying a gun I will slowly work her up to something more effective.

So this is my question: What derringer should I get her?

Any suggestions?
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest finding somewhere she can try firing one, before purchase. Even the .22 LR derringers have a significant recoil. She may well change her mind on one. also , if your state has a minimum score shooting for qualification, she may not be able to achieve this with a derringer.
    I own a NAA revo derringer . It isn't too bad, but inaccurate over about 5-7 yrds.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The NAA mini might be a good place to start. At least somewhat controllable in .22lr. Then once she realizes (hopefully) how derringers are really only a last ditch/holdout type weapon she'll make the call to move up herself.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

North American Arms Minis carry 5 rounds, and there are a variety of holsters available. A nice little gun would be a 22LR:

http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Thanks for the input; hopefully I will hear from other forum members as well.

I donít think the recoil will be an issue for her. She shoots my .45 without a problem. However, she lacks the physical strength to rack the slide. Maybe a wheel gun for her?

Anyways, having her try one before she buys it is a great idea! That would put the kibosh on having it be a Christmas surprise, but well worth it.

About this little NAA .22lr wheel guns: Are they double or single action?
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Lead Moderator
    NAA are single action.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - NAA Mini - even in .22 mag which I use for mini-BUG ....... it's quite controllable, dead easy to conceal and plenty good enough for bad-breath ranges.

For bigger stuff, seems the Bond Arms in .45/.410 is one of the better ones but - they are not fun to shoot really - certainly not I suspect for a lady new to shooting.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    Thanks for the input; hopefully I will hear from other forum members as well.

I don’t think the recoil will be an issue for her. She shoots my .45 without a problem. However, she lacks the physical strength to rack the slide. Maybe a wheel gun for her?

Anyways, having her try one before she buys it is a great idea! That would put the kibosh on having it be a Christmas surprise, but well worth it.

About this little NAA .22lr wheel guns: Are they double or single action?
    Recoil isn't an issue for me, but .45 in a derringer is a whole new animal.

If she lacks the strength to rack the slide on an auto, she might have problems with the trigger pull on a double action revolver. Something worth checking into.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post

So this is my question: What derringer should I get her?

Any suggestions?
    If you can find one, Hi Standard used to make a nifty little dao derringer in .22LR and .22mag.

The thing I liked about it was that it didn't require cocking in order to fire and as such was much faster to get into action than most of the other derringers on the market.

Unfortunately, I let mine get away from me back when I was young and stupid.......prob for pizza money.

American Derringer - Double action .38 special

The American Derringer Co. makes both single and double action derringers in various calibers:

American Derringer website

If I were forced to carry one of these, I'd probably get the double action model in .38 special. At least I could shoot it with one hand without thumb cocking it first. But I'll bet the trigger pull is heavy.

This two shot double action derringer now comes in either .38 Special or .40 S&W. The barrel, receiver and internal parts are made from high strength stainless steel. Grips are available in a number of hardwoods. Our DA38 weighs just 14.5 oz and has dimensions of 4.84 x 3.3 inches, with a thickness of 1.1 inches and a 3.3 inch barrel. The DA38 has a hammerblock thumb safety and a Satin Stainless finish.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

EAJ
    I know very little about derringers, but the Gunsource.com weekly special is a Cobra Derringer Pistol for $140.00

Cobra Derringer Pistol
    380ACP
    Chromed Alloy Frame
    Right Hand
    Wood Grips
    Fixed Sights
    Big Bore
    Double Shot

VIP Member
    Someone mentioned the Hi Standard Derringer in .22 mag. Here is one from 1974. My father used it to defend himself when a 2 guys tried to rob his place of business. Score: Dad 2 BGs 0. He also used a S&W .38/200 British Service Revolver in .38 S&W. The first robber bled out as a result of the .22 mag wounds.

My father bought two of them, but my mother was not able to pull the trigger on them and he traded one for a .22 revolver. No one knows where the revolver is. My cousin bought my father's business and gave me the derringer.

American Derringer now makes the old Hi Standard Derringer.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I definately would have your wife fire a derringer before buying one. I have a 32acp and 9mm derringer as BUGs. The 9mm will ring you hand bad. The 32 isn't far behind. Best way to describe it is like hitting a 100mph fast ball with a very loose grip on the bat. Besides that the trigger pull is horrible. It takes a lot of effort to get it to fire. Somewhere I'm guessing about 15lbs of trigger pull. Great for the pocket but I wouldn't let my wife depend on it for a cc gun.

derringer

i carry an american derringer da38. mine is chambered for 357. not for the weak at heart. even with 38s it is a hand full.
    not for lhe ladys. my wife shoots revolvers up to 45 colt but will not touch the derringer.

booneh

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The American Derringer Co. makes both single and double action derringers in various calibers:

American Derringer website

If I were forced to carry one of these, I'd probably get the double action model in .38 special. At least I could shoot it with one hand without thumb cocking it first. But I'll bet the trigger pull is heavy.

Holy mackerel, that thing's not any smaller than a P-3AT!

Thks though. I didn't realize that they were making the old Hi Standard style dao derringers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links