Bersa guns

This is a discussion on Bersa guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Love my Bersa 380 CC. It has a lot of features that make it my number 1 pocket pistol: 1. Safety / Decoker - When ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bersa guns

Love my Bersa 380 CC. It has a lot of features that make it my number 1 pocket pistol:

1. Safety / Decoker - When engaged you can pull the trigger freely all you want.
    2. 8 +1 rounds.
    3. Loaded chamber indicator.
    4. Slide lock.
    5. Easy field stripping.
    6. DA on first shot, SA on subsequent shots. (Not many pocket pistols have this feature).
    7. Looks great.

2. Remove Ads

Bersa

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Bersa's are a great value... but I will say that it seems as if they have about one lemon out of 50 guns- Thats about par for the cheaper guns.
    Now that statement jumped out of the page at me. You hear all these great things about these little pistols, but the one I just bought can't make it through a magazine without jamming. It is at the repair place now. But I wonder if it is 1 out of 50, 1 of 100, or 1 of 10? There is really no way to know. The problem for me is that even if it works perfectly when I get it back, I am not sure I will be able to develop confidence in the weapon. Some time and a few more boxes of ammo will tell ... but ... I am looking seriously at a S&W 642 ... 5 for sure.

Bersa 380

I have a Firestorm .380 which is the same gun. Very comfortable to carry with IWB. However, using flat nosed target ammo, the last bullet in the clip jammed about 4 times out of about 200 rounds. I was considering dumping the gun. The guy that sold it to me looked at it and said the flat nosed bullet was catching in the chamber and to try a different type of ammo. Another mutual friend of ours had a .40 cal that was doing the same thing with the flat nosed bullets. I have not try other ammo yet to verify this. Perhaps someone out there had the same problem.

Bersa 380 jams

FWIW, I doubt the flat nosed ammo is your problem. I have seen several posts by folks whose 380T will handle the Winchester flat nosed ammo just fine, but jam on round nosed CCI or Fiochi ammo. Mine will feed Cor Bon JHP just fine, but jam about 1 in 10 mags on CCI Blazer brass round nosed ammo. Over on Bersa Talk it seems like the Remington UMC ammo is about the only target ammo that feeds reliably in some of these pistols.

New Member Array kenpoprofessor's Avatar
    I love my little Bersa Thunder .380, in fact, I bought 2 of them and sold one to my friend for his wife to CCW.

Only problem I've ever had was, they do not like PMC ammo, stuff wouldn't chamber in either gun. My Keltec P3AT eats it up like candy.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
    While the tiger nears extinction, the amoeba lives forever.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD “Quemadmoeum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.)

I inhereted a bersa 83 from my dad. Single stack stainless .380, probably 1990ish vintage.

I have had one hiccup with it. When the slide would cycle, the decocker would rotate and settle in the "safe" spot between fire and decock. Quick fix - and I am sure I did it the hard way at that. I welded up the detents on the decocker and moved them a bit. Has been 100% since.

Okay now that I think about it, I had one other issue. One plastic magazine bottom was destroyed in transit by one of the airlines. The new plastic ones are different and appear stronger. Remeber this broken one was 20 years old.

Firestorm .380

I have the Firestorm .380 which is essentially the same gun with a few minor differences in the grip and trigger guard. I agree with Rajun Cajun that they like bullets with round noses. I had been using Winchester 95 grain target ammo and I had four instances of the last bullet in the clip failing to load. This was out of about 500 rounds. I was pretty disgusted with the unreliability of it and I had the guy that sold it to me look at it when it jammed at the range we were at. He pointed out the the flat nose of the bullet was causing the problem. I have not tried other ammo yet but I love the gun. Very comfortable to carry and being new to pistols I have found I can shoot it reasonably accurately.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Dad owns a .380 thunder in black and it is a hell of a gun never had a hiccup or anything great shooter and highly conceal carry weapon
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

My friend borrowed my girlfriend and I his Thunder 380 to try out. He's not much of a gun person, and he bought it at a pawn shop for $150. The thing was filthy, and looks like it was pocket carried without a holster, because all of the finish is worn off the slide. I cleaned it up well, and was very suprised at how well it shot when I took it to the range. I've been considering one for a pocket gun, but I'm undecided because I'm not a huge fan of the .380 round.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I have a .380 Thunder and Thunder Plus. So far both has fed ball, HS, and flat nose target rounds - federal, winchester and american eagle - with no issues except one. I picked up a box of czech rounds imported by remmington and had a few FTF problems with them.
    The two are really realiable pistols.

"cupsz71: I'm not a big fan though, and here's why:

1. FEED ISSUES-(stove-piping) . . . limp wristing is a definate no-no. I've fed it various ammo and the more "round" the bullet is......the better.
    . . .
    3. CLEANING & RE-ASSEMBLY - all I can say -WOW! - is that an adventure!"
    Just checked again since this thread popped up again. As cupsz71 said, ammo brand can play a part in jamming, at least until the .380 is broken in. Also, reassembly can be a pain, unless you know The Secret. Check this out, and all your reassembly woes on the .380 will disappear:

Bersa Thunder 380 Chapterhouse

It's also essential that the recoil spring goes on small (tight) end first, or you'll also risk FTFs. This Chapterhouse site has a ton of good info on it, as does Bersatalk.com

(And I was sworn to secrecy, too. Bugger !)
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links