Walther PPK/S

Walther PPK/S

This is a discussion on Walther PPK/S within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why do I not here much about these? I have one PPK/S and one PPK. I realize the .380 caliber is pretty minimal for self ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK/S

Walther PPK/S

Why do I not here much about these? I have one PPK/S and one PPK. I realize the .380 caliber is pretty minimal for self defense but I really like the size and feel of the firearm. I use Remington Golden Saber 102 Gr. Brass Jacketed Hollow Points in it. It shoots very well with this ammo. I've shot an injured cat, an injured whitetail buck and a raccon that was in my shed. It only took one round for each of these animaals to die. I know it won't be very accurate past 15-20 yards but it's so easy to conceal. Don't get me wrong I have fullsize and sub-compact pistols as well but really enjoy the Walther. Just wanting your opinions as well.
    Thanks

Lead Moderator
    Newer, lighter ,less expensive 9mm pistols have overshadowed the PPK IMO. Why get a steel .380 when a polymer 9mm(more powerful) can be had. Nothing wrong with the PPK, just isn't as useful.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You may also want to visit WaltherForums for more information.

I'd like to get a James Bond gun too!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Newer, lighter ,less expensive 9mm pistols have overshadowed the PPK IMO. Why get a steel .380 when a polymer 9mm(more powerful) can be had. Nothing wrong with the PPK, just isn't as useful.
    Yes, that is probably 90% of the reason. The other 10% is there are other .380's out there that are just as good but less money(Bersa) or actually pocketable(Kel-tec) that do things better than the PPK, IMHO.

VIP Member
    I carry a PPK/S from time to time Ksokie. The newer S&W. Its a gun with personality - its also a gun that takes hundreds of rounds to ensure this gun is reliable. In my experience, hollowpoints tend to jam in the PPK/S. Not every magazine, or every range visit, but frequently enough that clearance/stoppage drill practice is manditory.

The PPK/S is a fun and accurate pistol to shoot. Personally, I find the 360 Sc with me more often than not as of late. As for stopping power - who really knows? Every ones physical and physciological makeup is different and would respond differently to being shot. Not to mention the crack heads and pcp freaks with super human strength. I do believe that 1 - 3 well placed 380's are better than many more 40's or 45's. And with the 380, you don't have to worry about over penetration so much.
    Last edited by ctr; December 20th, 2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Had one, sold it to get a lighter gun, the Keltec P3AT.

I was appointed as a special deputy sheriff when I was 18 years old, and asked to help the NARC department while I went to college. At that time, I carried what we called an S&W Chief 38-special, or the Colt Combat Commander 45. Since we where required to carry a gun at all times, the 38-S&W while a fine gun, was harder to conceal tucked into shorts. So in 1979 I traded it for a Walter PPKs. Very reliable, accurate to 25 yards, and very very concealable. And when I need “more firepower” I brought along a riot shotgun.

When I was on duty I carried the 45, all the rest of the time, I carried the little PPKs. Got rather use to it, and even when I got out of college and went to work full time for corporate America (as I call it), since I was no longer a deputy with a CCL I continued carrying the little PPK.

I carried the PPK so much that the bluing had worn off of it, and in 1994, I traded it for a new stainless model

Sure, there are smaller 380’s on the market, I own a Kel-Tec, but there will never be a more enjoyable to shoot, or reliable, 380 than a Walther PPK.

jgp
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    but there will never be a more enjoyable to shoot, or reliable, 380 than a Walther PPK.
    Besides the Bersa Thunder.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have a "poor mans ppk"

(P-64 9x18 )
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

My step dad just purchased a new Walther PPK by SW. Nice looking gun. Had several FTF. But we have been trying to "break it in". So far only about 100 rounds through it with about 8 or 9 FTF. You are getting the same size projectile (bullet) as in the 9mm cartridge - so I do not see what the issue is. Load them up with some quality ammo and you are good to go. At a distance - penetration could be an issue - but that stuff has been debated for a long time. But with most situations requiring a weapon will occur in close proximity of the BG - a .380 will work just fine. There will always be the bigger or in this case of the 9mm, more powerful is always better mentality. I carry different guns & calibers based on dress. My carry guns vary in 380 to the 45. I do know someone that recently purchased a new Walther P22 for carry and is confident that with the accuracy of the gun he could pump 3-4 shots to the chest area - and he is probably correct. So it basically boils down to what you like to carry, what suits your dress, how much weight/bulk one tolerates - and we all have a personal preference. My preference is the Glock 27 - which is by no means lighter than the PPK. So change up your carry guns from time to time. That stainless Walther PPK looks very nice in a leather OWB holster.

Also fond of Walther PPK

I've had a Walther PPK for about 10 years and think it is a fine little gun. I agree that .380 is a marginal caliber for defense, but the gun conceals very easily due to a flat profile. I have carried it a few times IWB in a suede Bianchi holster and it disappears with no printing. Mine has never jammed on any ammo I fed it, and is quite accurate.

Here are a couple of pictures of it. The second photo compares it to a 9mm Kahr MK9, which is of similar height and length, but a little thicker and heavier.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thanks for all the replies. I was kind of thinking an owb holster would probably work the best also. I wear jeans that fit so trying to tuck a firearm inside along with a holster would be a real pita. I usually wear Wranglers or jeans of the like and a buttoned shirt tucked in so I would have to wear a jacket to keep it covered. But holsters are for a different section so I'll stop babbling.

I had one and couldn't get it to shoot 100 rounds without 1 or more jams. After two returns to the manufacturer I sold it and bought a Glock 26.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    If you have "meaty" hands, beware "slide bite" on the web of your hand.

Nothing ruins a nice range day like two bloody tracks across one of the most sensitive areas of your body.....

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ksokie View Post
    Why do I not here much about these? I have one PPK/S and one PPK. I realize the .380 caliber is pretty minimal for self defense but I really like the size and feel of the firearm. Thanks

Walther PP and PPK were my first two pistols. Nice but I ended up selling them.
    If you like them, try holding and shooting a Sig Sauer P230 or 232 sometime. They're similar, but IMO nicer and much more reliable.
    My $.02

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links