Split Cases?

This is a discussion on Split Cases? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was shooting my S&W 642 today. I had fired probably 30 rounds or so, and when I went to dump the empty cases ...

Thread: Split Cases?

Split Cases?

So I was shooting my S&W 642 today. I had fired probably 30 rounds or so, and when I went to dump the empty cases out of it, only 3 fell out. The othe two were stuck. I pried them out with my fingers and took a look at them. Both of them were split down the side, one being split more than the other. Is this a normal occurance? Is it something I should be concerned with or was it just a bad batch of ammunition. I was shooting Remington UMC 130 grn RN.

On a better note, I took the wife to shoot the handguns today. She fired about 10 rounds through the .38(before the split rounds) and she was done with that one. Which I completely understand, as my hand takes a beating everytime I shoot it. Then I had her shoot my SW1911. She LOVED it! And she shot very well with it. I guess I better be carefull, or I'll end up buying one for her!

Over all it was a good time at the range, and I'm heading back tomorrow for some more!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I'd say bad ammo batch - usually it is only cases after many reloads that tend to split. Did these rounds seem extra ''hot'' - wondering re pressures but then too we have the brass characteristics.

If that batch of brass was not sufficiently annealed then over-hard brass can split - it always expands a tad to fill the chamber. Usually if ''elastic'' enough they shrink back sufficient to come out easily - but yours may have been too hard and so stayed enlarged - without ''relaxing''.

Try some other ammo - maybe some WWB .38's.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks P95Carry! I figured it was just bad brass, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a problem on my hands. That was the first time I'd seen it happen. Thanks again.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What brand of ammo were you shooting?
    Jack

I have had that happen before with the UMC cartridges. I think the quality control on them is not great.

Senior Moderator
    I had a box of Federal .357 mag once that just about every other shot resulted in a splt case. It was nickle plated.

I used to buy nickle plated brass to reload because it was easier to find in the grass as the shooting range. Over a period of time, I noticed that it didnt last near as long because the nickel plating is more brittle and resulted in a lot more case splits...so I pretty much quit using it.

Although I've had cases split with .45's and 9mm's ...it does seem like its worse with .38 and .357 mag for some reason.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I was shooting Remington UMC brass. It's the only kind that have ever split for me.

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Links