Just Want One?

Just Want One?

This is a discussion on Just Want One? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I due to my age (29) cut my teeth as far as defensive, and CCW guns on automatics. I have recently just decided I want ...

Thread: Just Want One?

Just Want One?

I due to my age (29) cut my teeth as far as defensive, and CCW guns on automatics. I have recently just decided I want a good ol' big DA revolver. I have been looking at Smith model 21 and 22 in .44 special and .45 acp. I am thinking about maybe a .45 LC or .41 magnum. No disrespect to any other maunfacturers, i just seem to like the big old S&W's Anybody out there especially young guys like me who are auto guys, just curious and want to consider a revolver like this?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I due to my age (29) cut my teeth as far as defensive, and CCW guns on automatics. I have recently just decided I want a good ol' big DA revolver. I have been looking at Smith model 21 and 22 in .44 special and .45 acp. I am thinking about maybe a .45 LC or .41 magnum. No disrespect to any other maunfacturers, i just seem to like the big old S&W's Anybody out there especially young guys like me who are auto guys, just curious and want to consider a revolver like this?
    Don't blame you. My next gun may be a Model 22. I'm not a young guy like you but rather an old guy who never stopped luvin good revolvers.

JD
    Administrator
    I'm not much of a revolver shooter, but I do love them, I just picked up a Ruger GP100.

A S&W wheel gun in .45ACP does sound like fun, not exactly practical to my needs or wants, but would still make a good gun IMHO.

Does a 1957 model count as a young guy? I didn't think so. I'm another revolver guy who considers a few autos.

If I wasn't joined at the hip to my old faithful Model 10 I'd be tempted to carry a .44 Special N-Frame S&W of some sort. I'd be willing to make the effort it'd take to carry it. My N-Frame .44 Special and .45 ACP are both oldies and too long-barreled to be optimal for carry. Until I finally got it through my thick head that it was collectible, the .44 Special stayed at bedside for years.

I kinda have my eyes peeled for a S&W model 29. That gun is needs to be in my collection! Next will be SIG 220 carry or model 29 just because. Spendy though damn....

I hear ya'll.... as soon as the right one comes along...BOOM ! Shes mine.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Assistant Administrator
    See if you can find a nice M29 in .44 mag - and load that for (or buy to shoot) .44 spl if you want comfort. It'll be an investment.

Or ... find a M25 and some moon clips for the .45 acp - very comfortable and economical shooting.

If you want a smaller M29 type and don't mind a bit lighter there's this one ...........

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    See if you can find a nice M29 in .44 mag - and load that for (or buy to shoot) .44 spl if you want comfort. It'll be an investment.

Or ... find a M25 and some moon clips for the .45 acp - very comfortable and economical shooting.

If you want a smaller M29 type and don't mind a bit lighter there's this one ...........

Oh my!! Those are 3 fine revolvers indeed. You've got me drooling on my keyboard P95Carry.

We like big irons too.

My favorite shooter is a SW 629 (4" 44 mag) Mountain Gun from the mid 90s with either magnum or spl rounds. It is spousette's favorite too and she has other weapons to choose from .. SW696 44 spl, 2 x SW 38's and 2 x KelTec 380s.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

For those who feel old...I do not really consider myself young pushing 30, but compared to my more um....experienced peers in my career choice of criminal investigations I am a pup. However, when I get around an attractive young 20 something female or college student I realize how the years are a winding by.

Anyhow. I have been seeing several of the TR special model 21's out there and with the right leather I think they could be concealed. I saw Clint Smith on PDTV giving a few tips about revolvers and he was using a nice IWB that in my opinion was hiding as well as any 1911 or XD I have seen him teach with. It helps I am built like a defensive end at 6'3" and 275. This body already comes with some bulges above the belt line so one more would not be that conspicuous.
    I often go with my friends into the country for various outings, including speculating timber in the WV hill and bear country. That is one reason I would consider a big revo. I also like the power of the big 4 and other number calibers. I like the .357 mag...but I tend to swim against the stream, and every one has a .357 of some kind around. I only know one guy with a .41 magnum and 0 with a .44 special. The .45 acp is appealing but I do not realy like the moon clips for some reason but have never really used them. I like the idea of a DA in .45 LC. That is a round in my opinion. My list keeps getting longer of whoch guns I want but none of them get checked off. I am going to have to work on that one.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    For those who feel old...I do not really consider myself young pushing 30, but compared to my more um....experienced peers in my career choice of criminal investigations I am a pup. However, when I get around an attractive young 20 something female or college student I realize how the years are a winding by.
    Just wait until the hot girls start calling you "Sir."
    I had a 4" Colt Anaconda for years but sold it when money got tight ... sure wish I still had that one, it was a heck of a good woods gun. There's a nice 625 at my local shop that I keep drooling over every time I walk in there. It's got nice, burled wood grips but one of the panels is cracked and they don't seem interested in replacing it - that's why it's not part of my collection already.
    Jack

Large frame S&W revolvers are great manly guns. I just picked up a 4" model 24 .44 Special that I've been looking for for a long time. It almost seems a bit superflous after the 3.5" 29 I just got a few weeks ago, but I knew I'd regret it if I passed it up.

I've got a .357 model 27 and I've owned several model 25's in both .45 ACP and .45 LC, but I've just got a special affinity for the .44's. They're always extremely accurate, and something about the .44 Special seems especially refined and elegant to me. I've been a big fan of Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton for years and I suppose they've influenced my tastes.

I'll post a pic of my new model 24 in a new thread.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I'm a semi auto guy through and through, but recently I've given a lot more thought to carrying a revolver in my pocket. As far as your question, I think I would have to go with a Smith & Wesson 625 or a 610 if I were looking for that sort of animal.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Links