Glock 27 vs. Kahr CW

This is a discussion on Glock 27 vs. Kahr CW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this may turn into a Chevy vs. Ford debate, but any thoughts on a Glock 27 vs. the Kahr CW. (Both .40 cal.) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 vs. Kahr CW

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Glock 27 vs. Kahr CW

I know this may turn into a Chevy vs. Ford debate, but any thoughts on a Glock 27 vs. the Kahr CW. (Both .40 cal.)

I compared the specs on height, length and weight. The Glock has a slight advantage if you want smaller but it is a bit heavier and wider. The Glock does has the 3 round edge on magazine capacity. The biggest difference appears to be in the operation and design philosophy. Does it just come down to personal preference or is there a substantive difference in these areas.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 27

I have 2 Glocks and 1 Kahr, but not the two specific models you are comparing. If I had to choose either the G27 or the Kahr CW40 for carry purposes, I would probably go with the Glock.

On the size comparison, I believe the Glock is a little thicker than the Kahr, and weighs a little more when loaded. But they are roughly the same size.

My primary reason for going with the Glock is that I would trust it to work more reliably than the polymer Kahr. My own Kahr is an all steel model and it works well, but I am slightly distrustful of the polymer Kahrs based on what owners of these guns have said.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Glock 27.
    1. You know it is going to work- every time.
    2. Capacity edge
    3. You dont have to be selective with ammo- it will eat anything.
    4. Interchangable mags with G22 & G23 so you could have a 13 or 15 round magazine as a back up.
    5. Parts- Glock parts and gunsmiths are plentiful. (Not that you're going to need them- I have 4000+ rounds through my Glock 19 and ~1500 through my G23 w/ no prooblem or repairs. I trained with another forum member here who had 72,000 thru his!)
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO its a wash on pistol quality and accuracy . The Kahr is thinner , the glock has more mag capacity. Since i dont care for the ergonomics or trigger of glocks the Kahr would be a better gun for me . However you should if possible shoot both and then decide which would be best for you . If you can't shoot them , at least find them in a shop where you can " coonfinger " them a bit and see if anything stands out to YOU giving advantage to one over the other . Either pistol will likely serve you well .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I own a G27 and a Kahr P40 (same size as CW40). My Glock was 100% reliable out of the box. My Kahr had to be sent back for a feedramp polish and a new recoil spring. I was having feeding issues. Since I got it back it has been 100% reliable.

I carry both of them depending on dress. Carry method for both is IWB. The Kahr is slighlty easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry. The Glock is not uncomfortable to carry, but I would give the edge on comfort to the Kahr. That being said, I would give the edge on comforting to the Glock for capacity reasons.

When I carry my Kahr I have two spare 7 round mags with me totaling 21 rounds. When I carry my G27 it is usually with one spare G22 mag with a 15 round capacity. Therefore I have a total of 26 rounds and I only have to carry one spare mag. One less reload and 5 more rounds.

I hope this helps, good luck in your choice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I like some of the other posters have both the G-27 and Kahr P40,both are excellent weapons and serve their porposses well. The edge has to go to the Glock, with everything being considered. Glock capacity universal parts and accessories ability to use larger magazines, holsters, lasers, sights the list is almost endless. All that being said I don't hesitate to carry my Kahr when I go in harms way.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I would choose the G27.

Objective reasons:

1. Never had a reliability issue with the Glock. Kahr had a broken slide stop as it came from the factory.

Subjective reasons:

1. The Kahr is way too small for my mitts. The Glock fits better.
    2. Recoil. I'm faster back on target with the G27.
    3. Price point. The Glock is more cost effective.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    Flip a coin.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a Kahr MK9 and a Glock 26. I carry either one depending on where I'm going or what I'm wearing. I know my Kahr is a different model than what you asked about, but mine has been 100% reliable and I prefer it's trigger over the Glock. I love both pistols, but compared to Glock the Kahr is a notch up on quality IMO.

I wish I could offer you some insight on the CW series, but hopefully this will help you if you decide to consider a K series.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I've got a G27 and a Kahr CW9. I much prefer the trigger and feel of the CW9, but only carry it when I absolutely can't conceal the G27. The thin profile of the Kahr does make it disappear under a light shirt quite easily, while the thicker G27 might print a little. Plus the CW9 is lighter, dont' know the weight of the CW40.

Everybody says that you can use the G23 and G22 mags with the G27, but I've never been able to get 100% reliability doing that. There's no support for the mag sticking out from the short grip, and this can (and often has, for me) cause misfeeds, due to the magazine getting tilted. You can fix this with a mag sleeve, though, but that makes the mag more awkward to carry. I stick with original G27 mags.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Does it just come down to personal preference or is there a substantive difference in these areas.
    Yes, reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Glock 27.
    1. You know it is going to work- every time.
    2. Capacity edge
    3. You dont have to be selective with ammo- it will eat anything.
    4. Interchangable mags with G22 & G23 so you could have a 13 or 15 round magazine as a back up.
    5. Parts- Glock parts and gunsmiths are plentiful. (Not that you're going to need them- I have 4000+ rounds through my Glock 19 and ~1500 through my G23 w/ no prooblem or repairs. I trained with another forum member here who had 72,000 thru his!)
    ...and that sums it up. My G27 has 50,000 or so through it without a twitch.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Personally I'd go with Glock.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

The Glock will shoot all day and all night long, and not have an issue with anything you feed it. And also, I would buy the Glock for all the other reasons everyone else has said before me.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

IMHO Glocks are more reliable and the G27 holds more rounds, yet about the same size as the Kahr. I've owned them both and I won't ever buy another Kahr.

IWB the Kahr CW would be more comfortable, but the Glock 27 is not that much harder to carry.

I would go with the Glock over the Kahr CW though, as Glock are damn near 100% reliable out of the box and accessories are plentiful.

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links