Looking for new gun

This is a discussion on Looking for new gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a new gun. Mainly for my bedroom but I would use it for carry in winter. I am looking for DA, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new gun

Looking for new gun

I am looking for a new gun. Mainly for my bedroom but I would use it for carry in winter. I am looking for DA, either a 40 or 45, and would like to spend around $400. I am looking for suggestions. Also I am thinking about trading in my Ruger SP101 (.357 w/3" barrel) what do you think the trade value is. Thanks for your help.

Kurt

2. Remove Ads

For the price range you're looking at, take a close look at the Witness. Not that common, but they are a copy of the CZ, very reliable, accurate, and hard to beat for the price. There are others that will fit your needs, and I am sure they will be enumerated by our other members. Do not get rid of the SP101; you will regret it forever...

Oh, and welcome aboard!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Not sure of the value on a used Ruger SP101 would be - I guess that would depend on the condition it is in.

As far as the new gun, I would give consideration to the Glock 23. Excellent capacity and size for either carry or home defense, and they will shoot what ever .40S&W ammo you feed it. NIB will run around $500, but if you trade in your current gun, I'm sure that will be possible. If that is too high you can look for a nearly new Glock 23, which should be around $400.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

VIP Member
    Keep an eye out for a CZ75, might possibly find a second hand one in the price range your looking at. They are well built and very accurate.

Look at Stoeger Cougar (formerly Beretta)

About 10-12 years ago Beretta introduced an aluminum frame handgun called the "Cougar", available in 9mm, .40 and .45 calibers. Beretta has now transferred manufacturing of this gun to their subsidiary Stoeger, which operates a plant in Turkey. The gun has recently been marketed in the US as the Stoeger Cougar, in 9mm and .40 calibers.

The gun has a novel rotating barrel and a very ergonomic grip, and is sold for just under $400 in the US. It might be what you are looking for.

Guns and Ammo article on Stoeger Cougar

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Trading to a Dealer Usually costs you money.

I think you could easily sell your Sp101 Outright for $275 or More

For a NIB purchase - I suggest a Springfield XD .40sw 4" model.

These retail at about $450

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I would keep the SP101. Never sell or trade a gun unless it is unreliable.

Then, for a "bottomfeeder" I would look at the Ruger 345. I think that's the number? The reason I say Ruger is you want reliability and quality. You may pick up a used Glock for $400, but if you want new I think that's the only one in your price range that I would purchase.

Personally I'd hold out and save a little more money. Then go for a S&W M&P.

Biker

For carry and HD purposes I say go with XD45 compact, it comes with a flush mag(great for CC) and a grip extension mag as well(great for HD). If you keep your eyes open for local private sales, you should be able to get one for $400ish. I'm not familiar with the going price on a sp101.

i would go with the XD. great guns. once i get my full size 1911, that will be next on the list

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Definitely keep the SP101 - you'll regret getting rid of it. I agree with BikerRN your best bet would be a SW M&P. Bud's has them for $439.00
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    About 10-12 years ago Beretta introduced an aluminum frame handgun called the "Cougar", available in 9mm, .40 and .45 calibers. Beretta has now transferred manufacturing of this gun to their subsidiary Stoeger, which operates a plant in Turkey. The gun has recently been marketed in the US as the Stoeger Cougar, in 9mm and .40 calibers.

The gun has a novel rotating barrel and a very ergonomic grip, and is sold for just under $400 in the US. It might be what you are looking for.

Guns and Ammo article on Stoeger Cougar

I was at Sportsmans Warehouse in Reno last night. Held a Stoeger Cougar 9mm. It felt great in my hand. I almost bought it, but given my two other recent gun purchases I had to walk away. They had it for $399.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    FWIW I would keep the SP 101 as well. You will always find a need for a solid .357. Look for a police trade in G23. There are a ton out there and they, like many cop guns, are carried a lot and shot a little. Are you willing to consider 9mm?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I think would consider a 9mm but since I am looking for a larger fame gun I thought I'd go for a little more knockdown. I have a S&W 642 for CC.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I haven't shot an XD, but the reputation is certainly good enough. I've shot a couple of S&W M&Ps that I thought handled very nicely and might also fit the bill.

Buds gun shop has this for 318 bucks. Taurus millenium pro in 40cal. I had one shot pretty good too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links