New CCW purchase need everyones advice

This is a discussion on New CCW purchase need everyones advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I am currently in Bahrain on deployment contemplating the purchase of a new CCW. I don't have my CCW yet but will as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New CCW purchase need everyones advice

New CCW purchase need everyones advice

Hello all. I am currently in Bahrain on deployment contemplating the purchase of a new CCW. I don't have my CCW yet but will as soon as I get back to the states. So here are the guns I am looking at:
    H&K P2000SK
    H&K USP
    H&K USP Compact
    Walther PPS
    Beretta Storm PX4 Sub-compact
    Sig (give me some ideas)
    Glock 23 Compensated

I want something somewhat small. I really have no desire to have a 45 so a 9 or 40 will suffice. I have never even seen a H&K but have read good things. I have only carried a Beretta 92 and a Sig P229 in 40. Both at work. I have a Taurus PT-92C that I might trade in, or sell private, (I hear they are kinda rare). I would like everyones opinion on the guns I am debating. Pro's and Con's. And also let me know if you recommend a gun that I have not listed. I have about a year to finalize my list. Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Forget the compensation on the Glock.

SIGs are great weapons! I prefer the P-220 Carry.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Hello all. I am currently in Bahrain on deployment contemplating the purchase of a new CCW. I don't have my CCW yet but will as soon as I get back to the states. So here are the guns I am looking at:
    H&K P2000SK
    H&K USP
    H&K USP Compact
    Walther PPS
    Beretta Storm PX4 Sub-compact
    Sig (give me some ideas)
    Glock 23 Compensated

I want something somewhat small. I really have no desire to have a 45 so a 9 or 40 will suffice. I have never even seen a H&K but have read good things. I have only carried a Beretta 92 and a Sig P229 in 40. Both at work. I have a Taurus PT-92C that I might trade in, or sell private, (I hear they are kinda rare). I would like everyones opinion on the guns I am debating. Pro's and Con's. And also let me know if you recommend a gun that I have not listed. I have about a year to finalize my list. Thanks in advance

H&K LINK

Does the H&K come without a safety or does it only come with one

Glock 23, if you want the best power to capacity to weight ratio in the market, bar none. Awesome reliability as well, with a fair price. Forget the compensated model for CCW, though.

Actually, if you don't mind a 9mm, the Glock 19 is absolutely the BEST CCW pistol made in 9mm, period. (IMHO, of course) 15+1 rounds of 9mm in a very accurate and controllable compact frame, that is much lighter than the competition and conceals very easily. Reliability is second to none. Even those who love other brands will tell you that you can't go wrong with a Glock 19. It doesn't kick nearly as much as the model 23 in .40 caliber, and you get 2 more rounds.

Probably can't go wrong with a PX-4 subcompact either. I've got the full size PX-4 in .40, and it shoots like a dream! It weighs a little more than the Glock 23, and is a little thicker, but has a better grip feel for me, and just plain looks better. It shoots soft for a .40 as well.

I handled a Sig P250 at the gun shop the other day, and was VERY impressed with the feel and trigger pull. I think it was the DAK trigger, a glass smooth double action only, about 6 or 7 lbs or so! The grip feel was much more comfortable than a Glock, but it also is a brand new gun and the shop wanted $659 for it. (9mm, 15 +1 capacity) It was also heavier than the Glock, but not too bad. If cost was no issue, I might get one of these, after waiting a bit to see if the reliability is there. It should be, Sig is a good brand.

I've never owned an HK or Walther, so can't really comment on those, other than to observe that they are very pricey.

Thanks for your service to our country!

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Sponsor
    Don't discount the S&W M&P series or the Steyrs. The ergonomics of both are phenomenal. Better, for me, than any Glock that I have fired.
    The Steyr compacts (SA1 )are hard to come by right now but there are some of the original S series to be had. I have the M&P40c(compact .40) and love it. I also have the M9A1(fullsize 9mm) from Steyr. Both have been completely reliable and both are more accurate than I am.

$0.02
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

The only pistol that I most certainly do NOT recommend, due to owning 2 of them and having problems with both, is the Smith & Wesson M&P compact 40. IMHO, it's an absolutely fantastic idea, poorly executed. Go to m-ppistol.com and read all about it, from several disappointed S&W fans.

The M&P feels so much better than the Glock that it should have made big gains in the LE market by now. But it hasn't, and there is a reason for that. You don't offer $50 rebates and 2 free magazines unless you need to unload guns due to slow sales.

Magazines falling out of the gun. Slides locking back with rounds still in the mag. Rusting slides. Broken strikers. Light primer strikes. What's not to love?

When S&W finally learns how to make a quality semiauto pistol and puts out 8,000,000 of them with an earned reputation for reliability (like Glock), then I'll buy one. Because they do feel good in the hand and shoot sweet, when they work. But this is a tool that you trust your life to, and I can't accept a pistol that I have owned 2 of and experienced failures with.

I'm sure some of them that S&W ships probably are ok, but I require more than "ok" from a defensive arm. Hopefully they'll be fine pistols once the bugs are worked out. But I don't hold out much hope. My latest one was serial number MPZ-XXXX, a very recent model. In the first 50 rounds, I had 2 light primer strikes that failed to ignite and a couple of failures to feed. (Blazer Brass 180 grain FMJ) I switched to Fiocchi 170 grain FMJ, and it would NOT FEED ONE ROUND. I then unloaded the pistol in disgust and shot the Fiocchi ammo up flawlessly with my Glock 22.

I don't share this to insult or flame S&W fans. I share this information because it personally happened to me, and is not some opinion that I conjured up by reading websites. Reliability matters. I guess there is a reason that very few police departments issue S&W semiautos, and those that do soon switch to something else, mostly Glock, Sig or Beretta. I wanted very badly to love my M&P compact, it felt just about perfect. The quality just isn't there.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I have read a couple of stories about the M&PC. I did like it at first but after reading all the bad (not all) stories about them, I took them off the list.

So about the H&K how is the quality of these guns?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    If you are OK with a 9mm, have you considered a Kahr PM9 or MK9? I wanted something small (as in pocket worthy) that still had some punch so I picked up a PM9.

Of the ones on your list, I'd go with the Glock 23 but I would NOT recommend a compensated gun for a CCW piece. The porting can (probably will) cause the gasses to burn you if you have to fire from retention and it will mess with your night vision if you're in a low-light situation.
    Any Glock will be an excellent choice. I personally believe that a Glock is the best gun for your money in general. With a Glock you get ease of maintenance, huge holster selection, wide availability of spare parts (w/o paying an arm and a leg), cheap magazines, etc. ($17 as opposed to $30-40 for H&K's and others) and in terms of reliability, there's not much that'll beat them.

I would really recommend a 9mm (model 19) as I don't really feel that there's any really significant difference between the 9 and .40 with proper ammo selection (9mm is also cheaper). I'm issued a Glock 23 .40 for work but carry (off duty) and train with 9's (19 and 17)...I much prefer them.
    To each their own though...

Second choice (since everything is second to the glock ) would be a SIG or Walther P99 in either caliber, or an M&P in 9mm
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

They are nice looking guns but with only 6 shots...I can pick up a revolver with that capacity...size is an issue but i dont really like the k9 or roubaugh because of the little amount of rounds that they carry...

I consider "small" as being anything under a S&W snubbie revolver's basic size. In other words, less than ~6.3" length, ~5" height, ~1.2" or so in width. Such as the SIG 239, Glock 26, Walther PPS, Kahr K9/P9/K40/P40, HK P2000 SK, CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm or .40, Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm, Taurus Millennium Pro.

A few are a bit longer, but it's nice to have so many choices. Comes down to preference in reliability, capacity, weight.

Of the above choices, I'd probably opt for the Walther PPS, CZ 2075 or HK P2000 SK, myself, or perhaps even the Taurus MP if price were critical (under $250 used, here and there). The baby Glocks don't fit me well; the SIG 239's controls are tough for me to run; the EMP is a bit new and expensive.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    when ya get back find a range that rents on loans and put a box through as many as ya can. I own a G23....great platform but forget about the compensated model. All the sidearms you listed are good guns. It's best if you can try out a few and see whichyou shoot good AND feels good.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Springfield EMP.

PPS is the One! A perfect, and let me say again, a perfect comprimise of weight, caliber, fiepower and most critically - reliability. The overall concealability is awesome. Not a pocket pistol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links