Will a .45cal.pistol incapacitate as effectively as a 9mm pistol? - Page 10

Will a .45cal.pistol incapacitate as effectively as a 9mm pistol?

This is a discussion on Will a .45cal.pistol incapacitate as effectively as a 9mm pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many thank-you's to everyone who posted on my thread--you gave me plenty of gun opinions to consider for home defense!...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Many thank-you's to everyone who posted on my thread--you gave me plenty of gun opinions to consider for home defense!

First post here, and sure to get flamed,, I myself would rather have a .380 in my hand at the time of crisis than a 50 bmg in the trunk of my car,,,, what I am getting at here is this, you carry what is comfortable for you, forget what everyone else says is the best "gun" or "bullet" if you dont have it on or about your person it is not going to do you any good, Laugh all you want I bought my wife a kel tec p3at as a starter gun, she loved it, In fact I love it, I carry it 80% of the time, why? because it is better to have and not want than to want and not have. Dont get me wrong I have 2 .45 caliber handguns, and I carry one on a regular basis as well, but there are times when concealment is much more important than caliber, so the real choice here is wether you are going to buy a gun strictly for home use, or for multi purpose carry. If you are going to buy a gun for "home defense" only get yourself a shotgun, and i wont even start the debate here on that, BUT WHAT EVER YOU GET PRACTICE WITH. know what your ability is at 3yards 10 yards, and if you are rambo 25 yards with a handgun, but if you are "defending yourself" at 25 yards you better not have a handgun anyway, dont mean you shouldnt be able to hit at 25 yards just means you should realize that if you are in a threat zone where 25 yard engagements are likely you need to be upgrading not only your hardware but need to figure out what you can do to change that lifestyle.

I've followed this thread with enjoyment. But everyone's gotten away from the original question..."Will a .45 incapacitate as well as a 9mm?"
    Well...OF COURSE IT WILL! Check out all the ballistic stats...the .45 is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Do any shooters have both an opinion on this subject and what caliber pistol works best in the street?

In the Marines I was taught shot placement ,shot placement so I am quite aware of accuracy & point shooting! This pistol will be used for home defense!

Think I'll have some coffee now-- Thank-you for your opinions & Semper Fi!

Confused here because you imply you may be using in the street, but then say its for home defense,,, so with street carry you will need to consider size, where as for home you wont need to consider that as much, but you will need to consider your backstop, and here is something you should probably pm me about, because caliber for a home defense pistol is important, as well as load, you dont want collateral damage anywhere but if the weapon is strictly for home use then special loads are not only called for but almost a necessity if you live in an apartment or urban area where overpenetration is likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    Confused here because you imply you may be using in the street, but then say its for home defense,,, so with street carry you will need to consider size, where as for home you wont need to consider that as much, but you will need to consider your backstop, and here is something you should probably pm me about, because caliber for a home defense pistol is important, as well as load, you dont want collateral damage anywhere but if the weapon is strictly for home use then special loads are not only called for but almost a necessity if you live in an apartment or urban area where overpenetration is likely.

What caliber pistol works best in the street is not implying that I would use this pistol in the street ! What' the most effective handgun is tested on BG daily by our police officer's--What work's for our police officers is what also works best for me! And a special note: my first concern is neturalizing the BG in my home-that is number 1 ! My Marine Corp training has taught me how to limit collateral damage -which is my number 2 concern!

Thank-you for your shooting info regarding apartments etc.-but I more than earned that knowledge as a U.S. Marine!

Here's the deal: They all work. with the 9 you just need more of them. Of course, over the years I have heard from many who have thrown lead in anger tell me, the 9 is OK to play the gun games, but when you want to get serious, make the biggest holes you can, use the .45
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Here's the deal: They all work. with the 9 you just need more of them. Of course, over the years I have heard from many who have thrown lead in anger tell me, the 9 is OK to play the gun games, but when you want to get serious, make the biggest holes you can, use the .45

I want to give you energy experts something to think about!

I have a hunting friend who shot a medium size deer -broadside right thru the heart---the deer ran aprox. 105 feet before the deer fell and died! The rifle ammo used has 2000+ foot pounds of energy!

Still feel confident using your handgun?

Your shot placement better be exact otherwise you will need multiple shots--whether its a 9mm, 40 cal. or 45cal.-pistol!

I speak from experience as a former Marine Sniper!
    Until you have been there the rest is but opinions!

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Let me sum the general feeling "really".....

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

JD
    Administrator
    And with that, we're calling it closed, that sums it up for round 176 of Caliber Wars, thanks for playing folks.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Links