Will a .45cal.pistol incapacitate as effectively as a 9mm pistol?

This is a discussion on Will a .45cal.pistol incapacitate as effectively as a 9mm pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I think if people put as much effort into their own pistol skills as they do obsessing over caliber, they could ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Will a .45cal.pistol incapacitate as effectively as a 9mm pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think if people put as much effort into their own pistol skills as they do obsessing over caliber, they could shoot a 32 and be fine.
    Skills, is 1, and a 32 would be better then no gun.

2. Remove Ads

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Here's a webpage that can show you the numbers...hint look at .45 cal versus 9mm hollowpoints.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/849728/posts
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    Remember a few weeks back the BG that shot the mom 2 times, and the daughter 6 times and both lived? 2 to the heads is good shot placment, so there goes that argument.

Kinda gruesome, I know, but I wonder what caliber he was using. Cause if I remember right, with respects to the little girl, 2 of the 6 shots were to the head.

.45, 9mm, .25?

Anyone?
    It was a 9mm. Doesn't say what kind of ammo he was using. Most thugs use cheap ball ammo, but who knows?

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/child-s...17160009990039
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I was going to post that too! For HD, why "cheap" out on the caliber? You're not going to be toting it around all day.

Somewhere I read a blog of a coroner who saw literally hundreds of shooting victims, maybe DC area? Can't find the link now. He basically said he saw a lot of people killed with all calibers, but the 9mm ones usually had more than one round in them. 45's were more likely one shot-one kill. YMMV.

Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue!

http://www.mouseguns.com/deadmeat.htm

The great caliber war is back and running...IMO the .45 w/modern JHP is just as effective as any modern 9mm JHP ammo vice versa...
    I've carried .380, .44 magnum and now .40 and I don't think I felt any less safer w/any of them.
    I don't think it matters as long as you are accurate, lets face it, handgun calibers just aren't as effective as rifle calibers but until we can carry rifles on us everywhere we go we'll have this debate.
    Food for thought if you think YOUR caliber is better than cal "X."

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...;f=78;t=000964

All things being equal, that is distance, shooting ability, and threat level; I'll take a .45 cal hollow point over a 9mm hollow point any day. The 1 shot stop ration of the 45 is much greater than the 9mm.

I will now check on the turkey I'm slow smoking on the grill over night...thank you and good night....

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all you CCW's, stay safe, alert, and may you and your families have a blessed new year......
    No Guns Here Boss

Yep!

Merry Christmas!

JD
    Administrator
    .45 > 9mm

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sui-juris View Post
    The great caliber war is back and running...IMO the .45 w/modern JHP is just as effective as any modern 9mm JHP ammo vice versa...
    I've carried .380, .44 magnum and now .40 and I don't think I felt any less safer w/any of them.
    I don't think it matters as long as you are accurate, lets face it, handgun calibers just aren't as effective as rifle calibers but until we can carry rifles on us everywhere we go we'll have this debate.
    Food for thought if you think YOUR caliber is better than cal "X."

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...;f=78;t=000964
    Thanks for the great information and sources....the proof is in the pudding or in this case gelatin.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I currently carry a .40. I originally went into the gun store to purchase a 9mm and the clerk set the different ballistics on the counter (9,40, and 45). The difference in the 9mm and the .40 was significant, while the difference in the .40 and the.45 wasn't that great compared to the mag capacity. I've always been a believer that bigger is better. Since then I've learned alot more and I realize that alot depends on the grain count of the ballistic, but I've heard that
    9mm has a greater chance of traveling through than larger capacities and I would think that that would be a major factor in a home defense choice.
    Why walk softly and carry a BIG stick when a BIG GUN is more efficient and you can walk however you want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post

Seriously, the point of a handgun is not to kill people. It is to stop someone who is trying to take your life or the life of others. They may very well end up dead when you shoot them, but that it not the point. Rapid incapacitation is what we're looking for.
    The point of a firearm is to kill. That is what they were designed for. There is no way around that. Some of us will use politically correct terms like "stopping the threat". Not me. The surest way to stop a threat is to kill. That is how I have been trained and that is how I will react to any deadly threats.

I'm done with this thread. I've said my piece.

Bullet size matters a little. Shot placement matters a lot. If you're confident that you can shoot better than your gun in a stressful, adrenaline pumping situation you're likely to have to use your gun in, a larger caliber will give you a slight advantage.

Will a V8 go faster? Sure. But some of the fastest cars are 4 cylinders with modern technology, and can go farther (carry more ammo). Whether you want more shots or more cylinders (bullets) is up to you. Whatever makes you feel the best is what matters, because it's likely not to matter in the slightest.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
    Bullet size matters a little. Shot placement matters a lot. If you're confident that you can shoot better than your gun in a stressful, adrenaline pumping situation you're likely to have to use your gun in, a larger caliber will give you a slight advantage.

Will a V8 go faster? Sure. But some of the fastest cars are 4 cylinders with modern technology, and can go farther (carry more ammo). Whether you want more shots or more cylinders (bullets) is up to you. Whatever makes you feel the best is what matters, because it's likely not to matter in the slightest.
    Not sure I can agree with you, size does matter. Speed is nice, but unless there's "punch" behind it I then have to worry about placement. I'd much rather shoot a round that while slower is going to expand and stay awhile rattling around on the BG's insides. I've seen targets hit multiple time with a .223 and still come at you, but I've never seen a .50 cal hit get up and keep coming. The .45 cal was developed as a so called "man-stopper" and technology has made it even more so. Yes, shot placement is still important, but with a good .45 hollowpoint I've got a built in fudge factor on that hit.

"on the previous post"
    I also agree with Tubby45, a gun is for killing pure and simple, if anyone is skittish of that then get a taser or maybe a wiffle bat.
    No Guns Here Boss

Please, tell me you didn't just equate 45 acp with .50 BMG.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The point of a firearm is to kill. That is what they were designed for. There is no way around that. Some of us will use politically correct terms like "stopping the threat". Not me. The surest way to stop a threat is to kill. That is how I have been trained and that is how I will react to any deadly threats.

I'm done with this thread. I've said my piece.
    You're almost right.

The surest way to stop a threat is to kill quickly.

Of course handguns kill. Duh. Everybody knows that. That's not the point. Rapid incapaciatation is what we need to defeat the threat and stay alive. Somebody hit in the heart with a .22 might very well be a dead man walking, but if he's not incapacitated, he can still beat, stab or shoot you with his own weapon before he bleeds out. Hence, the point is not to kill,the point is to rapidly incapacitate so that the bad guy is unable to harm you or your loved ones.

Don't get so hung up on terminology, I don't give a rip about political correctness. The best way to stop a threat immediately is a head shot with a good service caliber, and that is what I hope to be able to employ if ever in a deadly force encounter. I know perfectly well I will kill someone by shooting them in the head. I don't need to thump my chest and tell the world that I was "trained to kill" in order to be effective in the defense of myself and others with a firearm.

Just because I say "stop the threat" instead of something like "blow his freaking head off" doesn't mean I need to switch from my Glock 30 to a wiffle bat. If you ever shoot someone in self defense, you will quickly find out that using macho language in front of a panel of 12 jurors will get you nowhere fast. I would prefer to make good tactical decisions both on the street and in the courtroom, and I know how fickle and ignorant people with no firearms experience can be about how something is presented to them.

Use whatever terminology you want. Just remember, if you look belligerent and sound belligerent to a jury, guess what they will judge you as? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck......you know the rest.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links