1911..Price?

1911..Price?

This is a discussion on 1911..Price? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From a lotta reading here i know the gun of choice seems to be one of "1911 descent".(for lack of a better term) what would/should ...

Thread: 1911..Price?

1911..Price?

From a lotta reading here i know the gun of choice seems to be one of "1911 descent".(for lack of a better term)

what would/should i expect to pay for say a used 1911?
    (assuming its gonna be slightly more inexpensive than new)

something solid and in perfect working order as can only be expected from a gun used in this "service". concealed carry. if a gun won't worked basically flawlessly i wouldnt waste my time carrying it. (just my opinion, i'll git off'n my soapbox, sorry)
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

All depends on area and model and maker..

Ive seen smith 1911sc's go for 600$ used

Dan wessons 500
    Springfield from 400-800

Colts 500-900 funny ya can get a new colt for round 580 though if you cant find one..

Im sure ya get my point depends on area

You could also get a nice new springfield gi for right around 450 or a gi milspec new for 550 in stainless

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    As stated above, it depends on what make and model you get as there are cores of 1911 makers with prices ranging from the low hundreds to several thousands of dollars.

In the Springfield line the GI models start at around $400 in my area with the Milspec models running $100+ more and the Loaded models starting in the upper $700 range and up.

The Kimber line usually starts in the high $800 range as the lowest price I have seen.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

THANKS FOR THE INPUTS.
    Whats the diff between the GI versions and the upper models?
    finish? fit?
    extra safety features or niceties?

just want to gather sonme info on these to reduce my "ignorance factor"
    before i go looking.
    then i'll have at least some knowledge of what to look for.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

The GI models are replicas of the WWII era issue 1911. The loaded models have skeleton hammers, beavertail safeties, extended thumb safeties, novak sigts and such.
    Shooters' Legacy

One reason I'm not a 1911 person is that I see no reason it should cost so much. However I do want one eventually. I have dug around, asked on this forum, and decided that when I'm good and ready I'll get me one of these.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-ms.shtml

This model is reasonably priced relative to its features. It's not real high on the food chain but it's not the cheapest 1911 out there but after looking into it I discovered that a "cheap" 1911 wouldn't really satisfy me. Basically you're paying a little more for this one but you get decent sights instead of GI sights, you're getting a lowered ejection port, and those two features alone are with the $100ish more this costs relative to the GI model.

I think that would be perfect. You know it's going to be a quality gun and if it's not Springfield will fix it. Even if you aren't utterly amazed by it you'll still want to keep it.

I don't have one yet because honestly, it would be toy. I don't really have a need for it.

I've always thought when you try a new thing you shouldn't get a real expensive one because if you don't like it then you're stuck with it. But you shouldn't get the cheapest one either because then you may experience the worst that pattern of gun has to offer, you know?

I bought a Springfield GI earlier this year. It's very reliable and does the job. However the sights are very small (like the WWII version it is suppose to replicate). The back site is dovetailed but the front sight is pinned and is difficult to replace without some experience. This isn't a problem for me, but if you don't like the small sights, you can go for the non-GI milspec version for $100 more.

I have shot my father's Colt Series 70 and a Safari 1911 and both do not come close to this gun's reliability. As a test, I shot 300 rounds of decently stout reloads using Bullseye powder (not an amazingly clean powder) without cleaning the pistol. I never did get a single malfunction - to feed or extract. I have to say I wasn't impressed with the other two guns - in fact were both very finicky with the ammo they shot. The GI eats just about anything, including hollow points, without any problems. However, I did get a few failures when I ran Wolf ammo through it - not nearly has many as I would have expected though.

While I'm happy with the accuracy, it doesn't come close to the Gold Cup. The trigger breaks at a somewhat mushy 5 pounds. But it's really not meant to be a match gun, so it suits me just fine. Like all 1911's, it points like a dream and at 7 yards, it will easily drill the black out of the bullseye.

One last thing to mention - if you have a high grip,the hammer WILL bite you. I have a nice callous on my hand where it consistently nips me. I believe you can get a drop in beaver tail grip safety, but it has not become enough of a concern for me to make a modification to the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    This model is reasonably priced relative to its features. It's not real high on the food chain but it's not the cheapest 1911 out there but after looking into it I discovered that a "cheap" 1911 wouldn't really satisfy me. Basically you're paying a little more for this one but you get decent sights instead of GI sights, you're getting a lowered ejection port, and those two features alone are with the $100ish more this costs relative to the GI model.
    Agree on the sights. I put some paint on the front post of the GI and it makes close range target acquisition adequate. But it is difficult to get used to shooting longer ranges with those tiny sights. As for the lowered ejection port, I'm not sure what the point is. Every 1911 I've seen throws cases everywhere and the lowered ejection port doesn't seem to solve this problem.

Assistant Administrator
    My Sistema 1927 was IIRC approx $350 or so - it is in good shape and i have worked the trigger - it shoots well. Only prob is crappy sights - that awful thin apology for a foresight!!!

Haven't changed it because trying to keep gun original but sure would help. Not a bad value "A1 copy" 1911 IMO.

Do think some ''top end'' loaded 1911's are mega spendy but then who am to talk having an R9!!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I tend to tell prospective 1911 buyers to think about/decide/list in writing what you want your 1911 to look like when you finally start to carry and/or compete with it. Sometimes you can get burned by spending "just" $400. for a so-so weapon. Of course you got to put on this and add that. 1911's can add up quick. I have been known to "get a great deal" on a 1911 at a gunshow----THEN----before I was through"just addin' a "couple of things",I had $800 into it. Several times I have got a good deal on a $800 weapon and not had to add but $50-$75 and it was "ready to go". It all depends on the little goodies that you want. How will it look,how will it carry,and/or,how will it shoot ??? Suggest that you pick up(or go to the www) and take a look at 1911 catalogs especially by Wilson Combat and some of the other high(ish) end 1911 companies. That will start the drooling process. My wife holds one of them catalogs out in front of me and I will follow her to JC Penney's to shop for sheets and pillow cases.---------

I currently have temporary custody of a Sistema 1911. It belongs to a SGT atmy department who mentioned wanting a S&W 64. I have one, and we have temporarily swapped to decide if we want to trade.

If we do make the trade, I'll use the Sistema as a base to build something a little more functional. I'll definately change the safeties to extended and beavertail, and I my change the mainspring housing to flat. New sights might be a new option as well.
    Shooters' Legacy

I've got one of the Sistema 1927's as well. Great gun. Although as others have said, the GI sights are awful. I haven't decided whether I'm going to "mess with it" (sights, beavertail, trigger, etc.) or just leave it alone and buy another one eventually. On the "plus-side," I've gotten to the point where I have enough of a callous that I don't get bitten anymore.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    From a lotta reading here i know the gun of choice seems to be one of "1911 descent".(for lack of a better term)

what would/should i expect to pay for say a used 1911?
    (assuming its gonna be slightly more inexpensive than new)

something solid and in perfect working order as can only be expected from a gun used in this "service". concealed carry. if a gun won't worked basically flawlessly i wouldnt waste my time carrying it. (just my opinion, i'll git off'n my soapbox, sorry)
    I bought my first 1911 in 1981. It was a highly modified Remington Rand with hi-vis (not tritium) sights and it cost me (I remember vividly) $425 OTD (Out The Door). It remains my favorite 1911 and I now have a few. These days a good used 1911 should run you in the neighborhood of $650 if you find one for less that is a quality brand (no Norinco or other imported knockoffs) grab it! Caveat: Unless you know exactly what to look for in terms of wear or safety concerns, take along somebody who knows what to look for to make sure you're not ripped off. Most fixes on a 1911 are simple, easy and fairly inexpensive. Some are the reverse.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links