Anyone pocket carry a Kahr? Especially a PM9.

This is a discussion on Anyone pocket carry a Kahr? Especially a PM9. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like many of us, I am always trying to find the perfect form of carry for each mode of dress and situation. A little background ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone pocket carry a Kahr? Especially a PM9.

Anyone pocket carry a Kahr? Especially a PM9.

Like many of us, I am always trying to find the perfect form of carry for each mode of dress and situation.

A little background on my own handgun evolution process.
    I conceal carry all of the following at various times (the Glock 27, 3" Defender and 340PD get the most carry use of course, due to size):

5" 1911s, 10mm and .45acp, OWB mostly.
    4" and 3" 1911s, .45acp, IWB and OWB.
    Glock 23 and 27, OWB.
    S&W 340PD, front pocket in a thin Uncle Mike's.

Jogging: 340PD in a small Smart Carry.
    Glock 27 in a waist pack Camelback.

The 340 PD is the most practical all around carry gun because I often cannot wear a shirt that is not tucked in so a pocket gun works for slacks and sometimes for jeans. I don't like the Smart Carry for every-day carry; only for jogging where you do not bend over or sit much. My 340PD weighs 11 ounces empty and the only drawback that I wonder if could be fixed by getting the smallest polymer Kahr is that the bulge of the cylinder slightly annoys my leg and somewhat prints when wearing jeans.

My main questions are:

Do many of you think that the smallest polymer Kahr (PM9) is thin enough and lightweight enough for front pocket carry?

Would it print less than the five shot 340PD?
    I know a lot of you have lightweight five shot .38s and .357s too.

Does the weight feel impractical at times (like after a long day)?

I see that the PM9 is .90" wide and 15.9 ounces with an empty magazine in it, so, this is the most attractive choice.

My waist is 32", I weigh 175 and am 5' 11" in case it helps.

Although I can fit the Glock 27 in a front pocket, it is too heavy and too bulky by far, so, that is not what I am looking for at all.

I owned a stainless steel Kahr around 1998 and it was too heavy for my front pocket and the trigger was problematic too. I am willing to try another one in the smaller and lighter version based on everyones' feedback here.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

2. Remove Ads

I have a PM9 and a S&W 442 that I sometimes pocket carry. They each have their own Nemesis pocket holster designed for that model. I don't find either of them heavy or bulky in the pocket, but the long straight slide of the PM9 is a little more noticeable (if you're looking for it) if I'm sitting down with the pants stretched over the pocket.

Standing up, both are invisible.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

My main pocket carry gun is a PM9. I have no problem with the weight or size. It carries well in a Nemesis or PCS holster. Great little pocket gun w/ 7 rds of +p 9mm ammo. Works better with cargo or dress pant vs. jeans.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    I pocket carry my PM9 sometimes... pocket carry annoys me so I dont do it often. A quality holster is key for comfy pocket carry. Have you looked into a good tuckable holster?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with Sixto. I have carried my PM 9 in a pocket, but only in cargo pants or shorts otherwise it's a bit bulky. I'm retired so I don't have to wear a tuck in shirt and my preferred carry mode for th PM 9 is an IWB holster.

I just carry to much junk to want to use a pocket for the gun. Keys and change goes in my strong side front pocket. Knife, pepper spray in the other. Wallet and handkerchief in the back pockets. It was unpleasant to have to stuff all those keys, change, pepper spray and whatever else in one pocket so the Kahr could have the other front pocket.

My favorite carry mode for my PM-9 is rear pocket in I believe a Aker pocket carry. (had the thing so long I forgot exactly model #and /or title) I also have a Nemisis that I carry it in front pocket carry.

I have spent plenty of time with a P9 pocket carry in jeans. No isses, but I graduated to a tuckable IWB that I like better.

I've had every pocket gun known to man and settled on the PM9 as the "best" all things considered. Smaller is more pocketable, but less shootable. I've found the PM9 to be the smallest "shootable" gun out there with acceptable accuracy. I figured that if ever needed I'm not going to be inclined to prep my grip properly for accuracy as is required with tiny guns, in my experience. Also, some of the small guns hurt my finger so I'm less inclined to shoot them at the range.
    I'm not into the "carry a lot/shoot a little" theory of pocket guns. If I'm not inclined to shoot it a lot then I don't see much point in it.
    Now, if S&W ever discovers that this is the United States of America and stops putting internal locks on their revolvers then I might revisit a 637/642, but until then they're disqualified for consideration. Even then, though, the PM9 will likely retain their lead.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

I think mine is comfortable for pocket carry.

ckd
    Having j-frames, I agree in some pants the Khar's flatter profile makes is more wallet like, and that is one of the reasons I will select it. The low recoil and night sights are a plus. Mine purrs provided you use the slide release to load/reload, not the slingshot. With PM9s either you have good luck or bad luck - not a j-frame or Glock in reputation.

Merry Christmas all!

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful already. Please keep em coming.

SIXTO: I have two Comtac MTACs (I think that is the model) and decided that the tuckable route was not going to work for me, at least with a Glock or a 1911.

I pocket carry a PM9 everyday during the week at work in dress slacks and khakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    Now, if S&W ever discovers that this is the United States of America and stops putting internal locks on their revolvers then I might revisit a 637/642, but until then they're disqualified for consideration.
    What's wrong with the internal lock? I just bought one of these and it has the lock. Is there a problem I don't know about? I'll never use it so it's irrelevant to me...unless it's a risk of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by swright101 View Post
    What's wrong with the internal lock? I just bought one of these and it has the lock. Is there a problem I don't know about? I'll never use it so it's irrelevant to me...unless it's a risk of some kind.
    Strictly personal opinion, but it's just something that's there that shouldn't be. And, there's always the matter of principle.
    It'll likely never cause a functional problem, but there's just no reason for it other than placating libs.
    Last edited by Air,Land&Sea; December 25th, 2007 at 07:21 PM.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

MK40 in Andrews pocket holster. A bit on the heavy side, but works!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links