New 1911 is 1 of 2 / Range Report Added

This is a discussion on New 1911 is 1 of 2 / Range Report Added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This morning when I unwrapped a gift from my wife it was exactly what I expected. A friend inherited two NIB Norinco 1911A1s along with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 is 1 of 2 / Range Report Added

VIP Member

New 1911 is 1 of 2 / Range Report Added

This morning when I unwrapped a gift from my wife it was exactly what I expected. A friend inherited two NIB Norinco 1911A1s along with a number of other guns back in March. He determined that there were 11 he was going to sell. He showed me his list first. On the list were the two Norincos. I checked them out and told him I wanted them. At the time I could not afford them, but he had told me he would hold them for me. We things didn't play out quit like I wanted them to and I didn't seem to be able to get the money together. So back in October I told my wife I wanted one for Christmas and one for my birthday which comes in January. She negotiated with my friend and today I got the first installment.

This is a photo of both that I took back when he first showed them to me. The one on the left is the one I got today.

This is what it looked like when I got it today.

Notice I've already added a Wilson Combat mag. Some of you may remember back in February CopperKnight posted a thread First attempt at making grips. In that thread I told him that should he make some more I would be interested in getting a set for my Springfield. On 12/12 I got a PM from him saying that if I was still interested he had a set of grips made from a block of Madrone wood for my Springer. I responded that he wasn't going to believe the situation. I had sold the Springer, but that I would soon be coming into possession of two Norincos. He responded that he had used a Norinco for the frame to fit the grips to. He offered to send the grips for me to examine to decide if I wanted them.

I got the grips last Friday and knew immediately that I would keep the grips. I told John (CopperKnight) that I would be posting photos of my Norinco with his grips on Christmas night and be singing his praises. If you have seen the thread with a set of his grips on a derringer you know he has improved since his first set. Well, I expect that after you set my set he will get more requests for grips. I told him that I could foresee a way for him to make some additional gun money by making this kind of grip. So without further here are photos of the Norinco with CopperKnight Custom Grips of Madrone wood.

It is my intention to keep one of the Norincos pretty much in original condition and to work the other into more of a custom gun. I plan to change the trigger, beaver tail, hammer, and add an extended thumb safety. I don't know yet about changing the sights. Oh, I plan to put some custom grips on too.

I'll probably get to shoot this first Norinco this week and will post a range report then.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    They are great base guns to build on. Rare these days in the U.S. - Machined from solid bar-stock frames and slides and good steel is used.
    Congrats.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Congratulations George! You have a nice pair there, and John's grips could become a profession!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Very nice indeed! I built a custom out of one about eight years ago. I don't know why I traded it off, but I'm not kicking myself too hard over it----until I saw your pics. Such is life. I made a real good shooter out of it too. NM bushing, and most of the parts you've mentioned but in stainless. I saw the price tag on the one--$269? I guy couldn't go wrong with that! Bought mine at a show when they first came out. You know they are good enough that Wilson Combat will build off them. I'd definitely keep one in the box-original. They are hart to find. I'd actually be happy with one of those again and spend a couple months building it up. Congratulations!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Very nice indeed! I built a custom out of one about eight years ago. I don't know why I traded it off, but I'm not kicking myself too hard over it----until I saw your pics. Such is life. I made a real good shooter out of it too. NM bushing, and most of the parts you've mentioned but in stainless. I saw the price tag on the one--$269? I guy couldn't go wrong with that! Bought mine at a show when they first came out. You know they are good enough that Wilson Combat will build off them. I'd definitely keep one in the box-original. They are hart to find. I'd actually be happy with one of those again and spend a couple months building it up. Congratulations!
    The price tag on the first picture is the original price tag from when my friend's father bought it. JB (the friend) can't recall exactly when it was, but estimates late 80s or early 90s.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I understand. I think I paid like $285 or right around $300 OTD for mine. Early 90's most sure. If you can find one like on GunsAmerica or similar---(if)---I think they are going for at least twice that. I for one would never be able to keep one in the box in original condition. Unless of course I had two of the same. LOL

VIP Member
    Both pistols look like they are in perfect condition, very nice find. They really are good guns. Glad those grips work on them for you.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Beautiful guns ! and you're correct, Norinco's are hard to come by these days.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

I own two custom Norinco 1911A1s and I love them. I looked on GunsAmerica and the 'rincos have an asking price of $475+S&H. You received a very nice Christmas present. Regards, Richard

Senior Moderator
    Very Nice George
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Nice Norincos! But what fun is unwrapping a Christmas present you are expecting?

Congrats!

A fine present like a 1911 deserves something fine in return...what did you reciprocate with?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

lucky guy George... very nice
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

good deal

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    Nice Norincos! But what fun is unwrapping a Christmas present you are expecting?

Congrats!
    Getting to handle the Norinco was fun enough. But there were other smaller unexpected gifts as well. My wife does good by me.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links