Springfield, EAA Witness or Ruger

This is a discussion on Springfield, EAA Witness or Ruger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been narrow my gun search down and have come down to these 3 (Springfield, EAA Witness or Ruger). I know alot about Springfield ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have been narrow my gun search down and have come down to these 3 (Springfield, EAA Witness or Ruger). I know alot about Springfield and Ruger. But I don't know alot about EAA Witness. Just refresh everyone I am looking for mainly for my bedroom but I would use it for carry in winter. I am looking for DA, either a 40 or 45 and would like to spend around $400. I am going Saturday to shoot and buy. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Which Springfield pistol are you considering?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Must certainly check out a Witness.
    I have the EAA Witness P Carry, it was my first carry gun.
    They are very ergonomic, lightweight, and very dependable.
    I have owned the Springfield XD's and a Ruger P89dc.
    I still have the Witness.
    Longbow

"Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

xd fan here

witness/CZ's are great guns, thats what I would pick up from the three you mentioned..

That or a Ruger SR9, if that is what you were looking at.

I really don't like the feel of XD's. I didn't like all the built in safeties or the trigger (personal preference).
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Which Springfield pistol are you considering?

The XD 45 compact

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    The Witness is a very under-rated pistol. I carried with a Baby Eagle w/the Witness safety (cocked and locked) for over a year. I loved that pistol. It was a little heavy but I can honestly say it was the most comfortable metal framed pistol I have ever shot. I'd still like to own one of the newer polymer framed models, but I have to pace myself.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I've got the Witness Compact 10mm. Still have a lot of shooting left to do (only failures so far were some feedramp hangups, nothing major) before its a trusted carry gun, but this thing packs a lot of firepower into a manageable size.

The Compact in .45 would be very cool, and you could always buy the conversion slide to have it in .40 too. Mine's the all steel version, not the polymer one. I believe the .45 capacity is 8+1, whereas the 10mm/40 capacity is 12+1.

One problem I have had is holsters...few makers actually list the Witness as a model, and I'm not sure what gun it would be compatible with (possibly the CZ 75 Compact?).
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Witness advocate here! I own (since 2002) a "compact" .40 blue steel 10+1. Fantastic gun with zero failures. A tad on the heavy side, but reliable and accurate. It also eats anything you feed it!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by nicneufeld View Post
    I've got the Witness Compact 10mm. Still have a lot of shooting left to do (only failures so far were some feedramp hangups, nothing major) before its a trusted carry gun, but this thing packs a lot of firepower into a manageable size.

The Compact in .45 would be very cool, and you could always buy the conversion slide to have it in .40 too. Mine's the all steel version, not the polymer one. I believe the .45 capacity is 8+1, whereas the 10mm/40 capacity is 12+1.

One problem I have had is holsters...few makers actually list the Witness as a model, and I'm not sure what gun it would be compatible with (possibly the CZ 75 Compact?).
    Hey,

How does the 10mm shoot in compact?

I've shot a friends limited custom 10mm, but its a much heavier gun (40 oz's probably), does it still kinda feel like a canon (high muzzle rise, but big and slow recoil) or does it begin to get snappy with less weight and barrel length?
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Administrator
    I'd probably go with the Witness too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by garn View Post
    Hey,

How does the 10mm shoot in compact?

I've shot a friends limited custom 10mm, but its a much heavier gun (40 oz's probably), does it still kinda feel like a canon (high muzzle rise, but big and slow recoil) or does it begin to get snappy with less weight and barrel length?
    Honestly I may not be the best person to ask. Its the first 10mm I've shot, and my handgun experience is predominantly with either revolvers, or small frame autos like Kel-Tecs, or a 1911...not much to accurately compare it too.

However I will say, much less recoil that I suspected! I was pleasantly surprised shooting it. And it still is decently heavy, being all steel, so that may help a bit.

Strangely enough my Kel-Tec PF-9 was probably more uncomfortable to shoot...that's because it is stick thin and has no weight at all.
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

Any one of these will serve you well and faithfully. All give great value for you dollar.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

For the money go with the Witness . I personally prefer the steel frame . Maybe try renting all 3 and see which one works for you ? I carry a semi compact Baby eagle and absolutely LOVE IT !!!! 2lbs of steel , "you run out of ammo you can beat them with it ". lol I've owned quite a few Witness guns and personally have had NO problems . IMO go with the wonder finish , it's very durable .

I have an XD and a EAA Witness Carry. I would trust both with my life. They have been nothing but perfect. The witness was under $300 the XD was not..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links