Do you use a pinkie extender?

This is a discussion on Do you use a pinkie extender? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah ... but not on the gun!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you use a pinkie extender?

Yeah ... but not on the gun!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    After all these posts I've decided that it would be easier for me to just cut off my pinky!
    Now that right there's funny, I don't care who ya are.

I have the Pearce +1 extension for the Glock 27 but I save these for the spare carry mags. The primary mag has the flat base for maximum concealability while tucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Nope. If I can't get my full grip on a gun, I do not buy it. Control during firing is more important than any minute concealability I give up. I prefer control over concealment.

Your pinky is not to be on the bottom of the magazine. It's supposed to go on the frontstrap of the grip. That is just wrong in defensive handgun basics.

YMMV.
    It's only wrong if it becomes a liability for the op. For me, I can manupulate my defensive firearm as well with the full length or short mag. It costs me nothing in performance and gives me an edge in concealment. I maintain full control of my weapon even with the short mag. Training overcomes any potential deficit, in this case.

An interesting variant I've found reference to lately, from the "instinct-shooting" or "point-shooting" school of thought, is to lay the index finger along the frame above the trigger (and below the ejection port!) and actually perform the trigger pull with the middle finger. This seems based on the premis that a normal person instinctively points very accurately with his finger, since he has been practicing from about age 6 months. Sounds awkward, I know, but of course I had to try it for fit. Some guns, no; some, it's almost a no-brainer.
    I haven't tried on the range yet (emergency eye surgury sucks!), but just from "fit-test" and dry-firing, the results were intriguing. For the (5"bbl) 1911, it doesn't work for me at all. The ~3 lbs of steel feels too strange to be a secure grip, especially with so much below the hand to grasp, the grip safety, and it feels like it cocks the barrel at an odd (upwards) angle. The PF9, on the other hand, actually felt like a full and proper grip, with no dangly pinky, and furthermore it tended to pull the frame even deeper into my palm without canting the barrel up - a big plus for decreased muzzle flip and thus follow-up shots.
    As I said, I haven't been able to try it at the range yet but with the index finger as a guide, everything in my house that I pointed at appeared to be right in the sights. (If my wife knew what all I "shot-up" here....)
    Anyways, it's worth a try. YMMV.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Yes, a Pearce Grip XL26.

No extensions here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Most of the time I carry a Kahr MK9. I have mags in the flush fit, pearce extension, and the factory extended +1 varieties. I use a different mag depending on what I'm wearing or where I'm going. The benefit of having a smaller gun is that you can carry more rounds with an extension if you must, but you can also carry flush fit when necessary without having to buy another gun.

Whatever you decide, I think you should realize that people won't notice the gun if they aren't looking for it. I wore a full size Glock 22 in a tuckable holster under a polo shirt and no one noticed until I asked (I only asked because I was testing an IWB design). Like your son, they couldn't guess the exact location until I showed them, and after that they could see it. I'm not saying you should be careless, but I wouldn't worry too much about the half inch difference.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I use ext.'s on most of my G-26 mags. I use a flat one in parka pocket mode, though.

I tried the Pearce +1 extension on a G27 sub-compact. It felt to me like the additional backstrap length on the compact models (G19, G23, etc.) was what gave me a more secure feeling grip than the fact that my pinky was on the grip or under the mag.

I no longer have the G27 (traded it in for a G19 under Cabela's no-questions-asked 14 day return policy) but I did buy a Kahr PM9 for those occasions when the 19 is just too big to conceal. I carry the PM9 with the 6 round flush mag, but all my reloads are the extended 7 round model. Best of both worlds.

If I ever get another 27 or a 26, I'd probably carry with the flush mag but 23 or 19 mags for reloads.

That being said, the GAP floorplate looks like it could add a little grip security for the ring finger without additional length.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

+0 Pearce extensions on my XD40SC. I find they make NO difference in concealability in my case. I carry IWB behind the right hip under a loose shirt. I carry the 12-round mag in the car console for backup.

If I can't go untucked, I just switch to a pocket piece.

Yes. Gock 27.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links