Do you use a pinkie extender?

This is a discussion on Do you use a pinkie extender? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that I finally figured out that if I buy a pair of pants that is a size or two larger than I normally wear, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a pinkie extender?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Do you use a pinkie extender?

Now that I finally figured out that if I buy a pair of pants that is a size or two larger than I normally wear, an IWB holster is almost comfortable. So I ventured out yesterday with my Glock 27 (40 S&W subcompact) concealed at about the 5 o'clock position.

Anyone who has fired this subcompact gun knows it is a lot more comfortable to shoot if you attach a pinkie extender. When my 17 year old son came home, I greeted him, gave him a hug and asked him if he could tell if I was carrying. He looked and said no. Then he asked me to show him where. I lifted my shirt and showed him. He asked me to try it again. This time he was able to tell. Of course, he knew where to look. He suggested that I try one of my magazines without the pinkie extender. Of course, it concealed much better.

So the question I ask is: if you use a subcompact Glock, do you go with or without the pinkie extender?

2. Remove Ads

I go without on my G30, never really liked it there in any kind of situation.

Administrator
    No, I dont. Frankly, its kind of goofy to. Once the extender is added, you have close to the same grip length of the 19/23 models without the benefits of those models. I prefer to keep my small carry guns small carry guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with SIXTO. I carry a G26 and the reason that I purchased it is due to it's small size. Never really saw the reasoning or need to extend the grip. These guns were meant for carry guns not for extended shooting sessions. Besides, I feel that my gun is very comfortable to shoot and never had a problem with the grip. Guess everyone has their preferences though.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    another vote with six , If you want a full grip get a bigger gun . A mag extention just adds size without any real benefit.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

NDS
    ^^Ditto, plus I just don't find them to be useful, they never seem to fit right for me.

VIP Member
    Actually, my wife had the Glock 27, but there are two ways to add the extender. One adds to the mag capacity and the other merely a fingertip extension. I chose to use the extension that added to the capacity. This does make the grip almost as long as the 19/23. With the finger tip extension only the front of the grip is extended. The back side is the same length as before and doesn't change the overall concealability of the gun. Here are a couple of links to some finger tip style extensions.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...gory_id%3D3%26

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/3_Magazines+%26amp%3B+Extensions/7362_Glock+Grip+Extensions/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D3%26
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I actually have both type of finger extenders. However, as my extensive research proved (), both printed about the same. I suppose, if I am going to use a pinkie extender, I might as well get the extra capacity.

I ran through a use of force simulator with a glock and a bunch of extended grip magazines. I felt it slowed down my reloads due to the need to move my finger out of the way, and a couple times I really pinched my finger pretty good under stress. I'm also from the school of thought that you should be able to fire your weapon well with just your trigger finger and thumb, so the extra finger on the grip is of mostly psychological value to me. Just my $.02.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

On my PF9, I use the magazine base with the "pinky hook" for carry, but not on my spare mag's. On the gun, it gives me more "tactile index points" (for lack of a better description) for the draw although it makes no difference in the fit or feel of the gun once I have a grip on it, so I don't bother on the spares.
    Just an observation I felt was worth sharing.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I use one from a Bersa 380 on my Kel-Tec P3AT, but would not use one on a "smaller big gun" like the baby Glocks or XD subcompact. I'd rather just carry the bigger gun.

VIP Member
    I heartily recommend the extension that only adds a little extra to the floor plate of the magazine, it sticks out forward in the same direction the bore faces. It gives a small place for your ring finger to be more secure. I can't tell that it effects my cc., but it definitely helps gun retention, especially on follow-up shots. It made a good improvement on my g27.

I don't care for the one that extends the length of the magazine.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

jgp
    G27 and PPS here. Both conceal better without, and with a little practice I found that I shoot just as well without, so I don't use them.

I prefer the extension on all my mags.

I also prefer the extension. I have the no added capacity ones on my G27. Curling my pinky under the mag when shooting feels weird, but that's me. I carry IWB and have no problems with concealment with the extension. My 2c.

SY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links