1911 Pistol Question .....

This is a discussion on 1911 Pistol Question ..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 2 1911 Colts. government model and a 80's lightweight. For the money they are hard to beat....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Pistol Question .....

I have 2 1911 Colts. government model and a 80's lightweight. For the money they are hard to beat.

2. Remove Ads

A note of warning! Once you buy one it will not be enough, sooner or later you will want another, and another ,and another, etc.. Try out as many different ones as you can, buy the one you want the most and can afford, start saving for the others.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I love my Taurus PT1911.

(and before that, I loved my Colt Lightweight Commander)

I carry a 4" 1911 every day. Mine's a Kimber Eclipse Pro Target II. It took a lot of work to find the proper combination of magazine and springs to make it run well. It's a beauty now.

Free advice (worth every cent):

1911's tend to be the most reliable in the 5 inch model. Almost all of them run great. The 4/4.25 usually do well too. The 3/3.5 inch models are hit and miss. Some are rock solid forever and others (regardless of price tag) can't be made to run no matter what.

Some guns won't run well with an 8 round magazine but work with a 7. That's because starting with round 5, there's a gap between the top two rounds in the magazine that increases with each additional round inserted. It can allow for nose dive feed jams in some guns. My gun is one that insists on a 7 round magazine.

Enjoy the 1911. They have way more (triple) the moving parts of a modern design and some can be persnickety at first. They also generally have a lower capacity compared to double stack guns on 9mm or .40S&W. However, there's nothing on this earth like a 1911 trigger. No other gun compares.

Mine is both my favorite carry gun and my favorite range gun. Though I have other guns too, there's an element of that old saying, "Beware the man with one gun, for he knows how to use it."

VIP Member
    WHEW! Once you get one, you do know you'll want more don't you?

In your travels, take a look at the S&W 1911s...
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A Kimber and a Springfield. 3" 45's. They are a handful to shoot. They are fun, but thinking of stepping up to a 3.5" or 4.25" to be safer on the cycling (esp. w/ JHP's)

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Have 2 Springfields myself so can't speak of the others out there with the exception of Kimbers that I see having feeding issues at our local matches. One is a Standard full size 5" and a Champion. Had a EX US Coast Guard Gunners Mate now deputy sheriff friend do my smithing on both. Each gun has a Wilson trigger, tactical speeed safety and drop in beavertail safety. Also had the feed ramp and barrel polished up. Use Wilson 8 round mags and both guns are accurate and reliable (Champion is actually more accurate). Guns will feed anything including LSWC's without a hiccup. Both guns with the slight mods ran me a little under $1200.00. Carrying the Champion full time as I find it easier to unholster IWB and feels better balanced to me.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

'However, there's nothing on this earth like a 1911 trigger. No other gun compares.' +1 I love the trigger on my 1911.

1911 are great guns IMO, but as others have said, get your hands on as many as you can before you buy.

I bought my S&W SW1911 for about $730 and it has everything that I wanted in a 1911 and the trigger is great.

Best of luck in your quest!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Something to consider before you buy a 1911 - format pistol: Not all "1911 - style" pistols are interchangeable in parts. Some compacts, Series 70, or Series 80, or Wide-Body, all look the same from the outside, but inside are not, so you may want to consider a Mil-Spec to start with. There are less than 40 parts total, and you quickly get to know each one by sight (even the pins!). You may want to "adjust the trigger," or add a Beavertail grip safety, or tune the mainspring, etc. The great thing about the 1911 is also the d@mn&d thing about it - once you "open it up," it's hard not to tinker with. Parts are plentiful and cheap. I have an old Norinco, but I can get drop-in parts, - springs, barrel, sear, mags, anything - at the local gunshow for pennies. Great format, if you like to "fiddle."
    On the other hand, if you just want to load/shoot/rinse/stow, you might be happier with a Glock. (I don't own a Glock)

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

A 1911 is a good choice...
    I will refrain from suggesting a Kimber, as I only have two of them.
    Have fun shopping...handle them all, one will start to scream, "Take me home!"...then that's the one you get.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    A Kimber and a Springfield. 3" 45's. They are a handful to shoot. They are fun, but thinking of stepping up to a 3.5" or 4.25" to be safer on the cycling (esp. w/ JHP's)

As far as looks go these two makers have some of the finest looking 1911s on the planet! I have been debating which of these to get - yes, I would get both - but you know I wouldn't want everyone one else to feel bad. Fine looking firearms!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links