1911 Pistol Question .....

This is a discussion on 1911 Pistol Question ..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New guy here, and I have been reading to the point of sleeping at the computer for the past few weeks about all kinds of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Pistol Question .....

1911 Pistol Question .....

New guy here, and I have been reading to the point of sleeping at the computer for the past few weeks about all kinds of guns and endless opinions from all the members. I was interested in getting the 1911 as it seems to be one of the most popular brands by all. My question;
    1. What company makes the best one?
    2. Do they only come in .45 (not sure about that?)
    Thank you for your help.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    1: There is no best. There are many quality 1911s made from many makers, arguing over who is best will be endless.
    2: No, you can get them in 9mm, 10mm, .40s&w, .38 Super, and .45ACP just to name a few.

Edited to add: Also, the 1911 isn't a brand, it is a style or type of firearm, the actual maker of the gun will determine the brand.

JD nailed it for you. Which is best is all just a matter of opinion, like Ford or Chevy.

I'm very happy with my Taurus PT1911 .45. I think it's a real bargain, as it has many of the extra features folks like to add as standard equipment, and at a reasonable price. Mine was less than $600 new in the box. It shoots great, very accurate. I've only got about 500 rds through it, but I've had zero malfunctions.

Quote Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
    New guy here, and I have been reading to the point of sleeping at the computer for the past few weeks about all kinds of guns and endless opinions from all the members. I was interested in getting the 1911 as it seems to be one of the most popular brands by all. My question;
    1. What company makes the best one?
    2. Do they only come in .45 (not sure about that?)
    Thank you for your help.
    The most important thing is get what is comfortable for you, not "What is the most popular style". Hit a gun range with some rentals and test drive a few different types. The large chain stores (Cabella's, Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro Shops) have just abut every handgun out there. Touch and feel. Know the pros and cons between the calibers and weapon construction. Polymer guns are light and comfortable to carry on a daily basis, but even the 9mm have a harsh recoil, let alone a .357 or a .45. The all metal guns can get heavy, but won't beat you up after a few rounds.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Lead Moderator
    Just to add. Once you find a few 1911's you like , try searching for info on those particular guns. You may find certain guns/caliber/ sizes have more reliability issues than something similar.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bargain 1911's from Rock Island Armory are a real steal for less than $400. The Taurus PT1911 has over $1800 worth of goodies for a price tag of less than $600. I've heard nothing but great reports about the Taurus. It all comes down to what feels right for you and then tempered by your budget. I shoot the Rock Island and have had zero problems. It's a basic, plain jane mil-spec 1911 that eats everything. I did replace the recoil spring with a heavier one, but that's pretty much the extent of my modifications (oh, replaced grips too with Hogue wrap-arounds).

I would suggest getting one with a tactical hammer. The mil-spec hammer does tend to give you a bite in the webbing of your hand after just a few rounds. Casual shooting it's no big deal. Prolonged firing or rapid-fire, you'll have a story to tell your friends!

Once you find one you like, buy it and a TON of ammo. Shoot, shoot shoot until you're tired. Take a break and then shoot some more. Get to know YOUR gun's likes. dislikes, quirks, etc. "Become one with the gun, Grasshopper."
    Last edited by sniper58; December 27th, 2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: omission
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Gotta agree with most of what's been said already, which brand is best depends on which fits your grip and preferences best - and your budget. Figure anywhere from about $300 to $3000 or more depending on what features and manufacturer you want.

.45acp isn't the only caliber 1911 by far, just the most common as that's what the original design was chambered for. The best advice I can offer is to visit a local gun shop that offers a good selection and fondle as many models as possible. Other than slide length and caliber, you'll have to figure out if you prefer an arched or flat mainspring housing (the backstrap), a long or short trigger reach, regular or thin grips and what type and brand of sights.

Most of those features can be swapped out either with drop-in parts or by a good gunsmith so it's basically a question of which gun comes the closest to having everything you want on it.
    Jack

<g> Sticks, polymer is no more harsh than any other frame. I do agree with you on the rest of your post, though!

Don't go by what seems to be popular! Just because every gun mag has a picture of the latest CQB/HRT/Spec Op/Night Operator Special sitting seductively on the cover, morning dew glistening on it's hard chromed slide, and an NRA logo in the grip panel--for only $2599.95! Don't believe it. For a defense pistol, simple is better--a GI Springfield in your hand is better than the CQB/HRT special that you're saving for.

As a match shooter I see new guys with 1911s all the time. I quit carrying mine because of that experience ("Wow--three stovepipes in a row? Is there a gunsmith in the house?") etc. The worst from my vantage point were the short slide Kimbers and the best running ones (in a match setting) were Wilson, Smith, and Colt. Springfields should be in there as well.

IMHO
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Think about it....

I agree with whomever said that you need to go look and touch and feel and shoot several pistols before settling on one. The 1911 is a very, very popular pistol, but so are glocks, xd (my personal favorite and my duty weapon), the new M&Ps. Then there are revolvers! I would go to a big store or a range that rents weapons and handle several before making a decision. Also, on another note, buy the best you can afford. This is your life. More money does not always equal better value, but the saying does hold true that you get what you pay for.

Pick a gun. Buy a lot of ammo. Shoot, Shoot, Shoot. Join a club or a range, talk to people. Train like your life depends on it because some day it might!

--Brian
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

i love 1911s and im sure you soon will too. there are sooo many different kinds out there. you can get them for 400 or 4000 dollars easily. i personally believe the best cost to goodness ratio is around the 800-1000 dollar mark.
    personally i have liked kimber and springfield the most. but it really depends on what you like. best thing you can do is go shoot as many 1911s as you can in one day so that you really feel the difference. what will this gun be used for?
    your "standard" 5 inch barrel, .45acp steel frame 1911 is my fav for target shooting/ fun. i personally have the kimber aegis. a 3" barrel 9mm. this is both my at the range gun and my carry gun. i absolutely love it.
    there are a lot of them out there. the best advise i can give you is that you cant just listen to our advise. everyone has their different opinions on the subject. but you are choosing this gun for you, not for me.

oh and one extra note: if this is for target practice / fun. my suggestion is to get the full size .45 and get a .22 conversion kit for it. so then you can also get some good cheap practice in as well.

+1 on the full size and .22 conversion kit. Along with the advice to practice, practice, practice. I own the low end Kimber Custom II for both carry and competition, but definitely agree with "try 'em out" and see what flavor you like best. Good luck, have fun, be safe and post pics of what you decide on.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

I have a Sig 1911 GSR Commander size. I love it and others will tell you that Sig should stick to the P2xx models. However, two different independent armors told me the Sig was a great production model. Most say that a custom made 1911 is best. It just depends on your use, goals for the weapon, and budget. I bought the Sig from an FFL for a great price.

Boy I guess I opened a can of worms....never the less, thank you all for your advice.

VIP Member
    I own 2 1911s. One is an actual 1911, issued in World War I. The other is much more "modern" and has all of the bells and whistles. (Ed Brown Special Forces) I'm not really a 1911 guy, but I figured every gun guy should own a 1911, so I got the Ed Brown. The old 1911 was something I came across at an estate sale and couldn't pass up ($100).

I don't know why someone would say that the top end guns aren't good for self defense. It isn't my choice, but it is more than capable. I trust the Ed Brown to work each and every time I pull the trigger. If it ever failed I might have a heart attack. I don't carry it because I have trained a great deal on the Sig and Glock platforms. Since they do not have a thumb safety, I don't want to carry a gun that has one. I'd hate to forget to click the safety off in the heat of the battle. Lower capacity is also an issue for me (YMMV).

Since you're new, following the advice given here to go to the range and rent a few guns is good advice. But, I would suggest shooing others as well, to include: Glock, Springfield XD, H&K USP, S&W M&P, Sig, and Beretta. See which feels best in your hand. For me it is the Sig, but we all have different hands.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have 2 Les Baer 1911 models. For the bucks, I believe they are the best.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links