What should wife carry

This is a discussion on What should wife carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My favorite reccommendation for women is the Sig 239 in 40 cal. So far, all that bought it, love it....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What should wife carry

My favorite reccommendation for women is the Sig 239 in 40 cal. So far, all that bought it, love it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Take a look at the CZ RAMI 9mm, available in either steel frame or poly, both are sub compact pistols. Another option would be a CZ75 P-01 also 9mm but a compact pistol.

My wife seems to love her Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro. I do know though that she doesn't care for the Heine Straight eight sights. I plan on getting her more traditional 3 dot sights soon.

She should carry whatever she wants to carry. You should let HER decide what she wants. If you buy something that she doesn't like, what do you think will happen to it?
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

ok. i am going to give me 100% completely bias opinion.
    i have a 3" 9mm 1911 and i love it.
    1911s (other other single stack) often work best for small handed ladies such as myslef. and if she isnt used to the recoil yet (she will get used to it. no girl i have met liked shooting the big calibers right away) then i suggest a heavier gun. maybe see if u can find a steel frame 4 inch 1911 in like a 9.
    that may work. small enough to conceal. thin enough to hold and conceal. and not much recoil. (although you are giving up carry weight then)

My wife loves my j frames.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    LET HER DECIDE not you us or the shop keepers.
    I agree completely. The Bersas are great; everyone I know seems to love the feel, accuracy, and at about $225 to 250 for the regular Thunder .380, you can't do better than that.

(Check out bersatalk.com for ANYTHING you want to know about a Bersa.)
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Your best bet as many have said is to go to a gun show and let her feel as many as possible and see which one fits her hand best. She also needs to be able to try out what she is looking at first. I know you said it's not really an option, but I would see what you can find. I would hate for you to buy something and then have her not like it. My wife liked the way my J Frame felt, but hated it when she shot it but she loves my 5" 1911. Go figure. So I think I will be getting her one for a house gun. She shoots it very well too. Best of luck to you!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I prefer my Taurus titanium 38 revolver. It's lightweight and the revolver has less recoil.

Let her try out what she likes. Also, you can always try different grips. I usually switch out the grips to something more comfortable than the stock grips.
    Ingrid

Small, but deadly.

JPP
    Any S&W J frame........ like this one!

JP
    Attached Images
    Sig P239
    Sig P238
    Glock 17
    Glock 36
    S&W 60
    WHAT ELSE COULD YOU ASK FOR?

For years my wife always traveled with her S&W 649 Bodyguard. One day I slipped my Kel-Tec P3AT in her pocket while she and several other women were going riding together at Sandy Sanders Wildlife Management Area. No guys allowed and I didn't want to go anyway. She had not gotten her CCW yet but that day she decided to get it. The Kel-Tec made a believer of her and she has had her CCW for over a year now. She still likes the S&W 649 but it is heavy and the Kel-Tec is a sweet little pocket gun. I've got plenty of guns that she has her choice of but she always goes for the Kel-Tec. Sure there are better larger guns out there but they don't do any good unless you have them with you.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

My girlfriend is about the same size as yours and she carried a .22mag Taurus revolver for a while, it was the only gun she thought she could comfortably carry and shoot accurately. It took a while to get her carry somtehing bigger, and she hated shoting my 442. She has moved up to a Sig P239 .357sig. The grip is thin enough for her hands and the weight of the gun helps alot with the recoil. She shoots it very well and she doesn't have much of an issue concealing it, but she does sneak out with that 22mag every once in a while. She couldn't get her hands around a Glock,XD,MP, but the sig is perfect. A micro sized 1911 might also be something to consider as well. The EMP wasn't out when she bought her Sig, but that seems like it would be a great gun for someone with small hands.

A carry gun is a very personal thing. How she will be carrying it will somewhat limit the choices. Other than that, she will have to find what fits her hand and she actually likes to shoot. If she isn't going to be shooting the pistol a whole lot, then it is just a very interesting paper weight.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

At least half the women I know seem to take to revolvers for some reason. My mother carried a .32 H&R for 30+yrs, my daughter wants a .38, and my wife carries a .22 NAA mini even though I got her a P32 and a Colt .380 Mustang (fits her like a full-size 1911 fits me).
    Depending on your financial resources, also look at the Springfield EMP - a full 9mm, the size of my (wife's) .380.
    There are also some of the old Llama .32 and .380 (1911-pattern) pistols floating around.
    Middle 40's and mother of 4, my wife is 5'1", 110 lbs, and even children's gloves are loose on her tiny hands, so we have a really hard time fitting her with a handgun. She's the only adult I know that the MiniRevolver actually fits the hand of!

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I would suggest having her look at a S&W J-frame, HK P2000SK (9mm), Kahr MK9 and Kahr PM9. If she likes the feel of any then maybe she can try test shooting them.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links